Shorty Encore

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
New to the Encore world. Thinking I want and 18"-20" barrel. Tell me what you shoot and post pics please.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
No current pictures but 45-70 Katahdin, 16" bull 308, 26" 45-70 pro hunter, 45 cal pro hunter smokeless, 50 cal black powder, 3006 pro hunter and maybe more....

Forgot the 300BO.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Love it.
I shoot some real :donk:donk:donk kickers from it. The comp is not the best, keep thinking about cutting it off or changing out. Also shoot BP loads and they are fun. That thing will smoke more than a 1970 ford truck.....
Best of the bunch. Everyone should own one for shooting. Easy to reload the 45-70 for any type load. You can load BP at your shooting bench fast and easy.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Love it.
I shoot some real :donk:donk:donk kickers from it. The comp is not the best, keep thinking about cutting it off or changing out. Also shoot BP loads and they are fun. That thing will smoke more than a 1970 ford truck.....
Best of the bunch. Everyone should own one for shooting. Easy to reload the 45-70 for any type load. You can load BP at your shooting bench fast and easy.

I reload the 45/70. I shoot 300 gr Remington hp's at 2000 fps. Not bad standing up but pretty stout at the bench. Looking hard at the 45/70 Kathdin but pulling the hammer back on the power level. BP sounds like it could be fun in it. Are you shooting real BP or Pyrodex?

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I use real. Shoot Goex 2f mostly but some 3f if I want to get a hotter load.
Cast lead bullets with BP up to 500 and 550 grn if I remember.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use real. Shoot Goex 2f mostly but some 3f if I want to get a hotter load.
Cast lead bullets with BP up to 500 and 550 grn if I remember.

BIG bullet, LOTS of smoke... sounds fun!! What speeds are you getting? 1200 ish? How bad is clean up?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
BIG bullet, LOTS of smoke... sounds fun!! What speeds are you getting? 1200 ish? How bad is clean up?

Could not tell you. Never use a crono with BP anymore.. I killed a few from blast.
Book showed 1100 to 1400 for most 400 to 525 loads. Short barrel and soft lead change things a lot.
Easy clean up use 50 50 Balistol and distilled water. With QD or no scope you can clean like I do MG barrels. PVC tube, caps and hot soap water or 50-50.
The ports are the big thing for cleaning. Always clean with small brush and oil soak after then dry and prep barrel for normal shooting.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Never had a clay or chunk of steel complain it was too slow....

May too Big... Wait what we talking about....

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
HAHAHA!! Well I found a new 45/70 Kathdin barrel complete with peep rear and fiber optic front for $285. Guess it's time to hit the order button :D

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My Dad has a 20” factory .45/70 Pro Hunter barrel that is a shooter. It flat out loves the 300 gr Remington HP and the Sierra 300 gr HP.

I have no clue on speed, but it’s fast enough that deer never even know what hit them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk