shop setups?

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
bought a home a couple years ago and refurbished it before moving in. has a nice 2 car detached garage. during the renovation, all the old stuff (kitchen ect.) got stacked against a wall in the garage and when I finally moved in, stuff got stacked deeper as the walls were filled.

I'm finally getting to my shop (garage) and trying to figure out how I want things. I like to tinker and fix (or really break) things before I pay someone. run a business so I have mechanic tools and such for trucks. like building stuff with wood.
So I finally have used stuff up and thinned out the crap and can get to my walls. Previous owner had it set up for himself with pegboard cabinets, shelves, air and electric. i just never saw what he kept on what item and i am just trying to organize my stuff to where it is accessible and together.

that being said, what ingenious methods have you all employed in your shops to organize chit?

Big fan of diy and using what I got. I know I can Buy systems but rather build

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I've used pegboard for tool storage , not heavy stuff but most anything. Used shelving board along with pegboard and plastic tubs of assorted sizes.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've used pegboard for tool storage , not heavy stuff but most anything. Used shelving board along with pegboard and plastic tubs of assorted sizes.
I'm digging the peg board and want to add more. got my cordless stuff organized on my bench. need ideas for the corded implements of destruction.

so far I've got my old sink and countertops set up. have to run the plumbing and stuff for the sinks and mount it all together. still have upper cabinets too that I can use.

I'm just more of a visual guy. have to see it. lol
replaced the 14 florescent fixtures with six LEDs. more light then I need now and no buzzing...lol

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Personally I dont care for peg board. Maybe small sections of it or the metal omniwall stuff.
Good timing as I just moved and have an garage to turn into a woodshop to get my hobby business going again. My first step is storage and using space that such as the ceiling to free up floor space. I have 2'x8' shelves suspended around the perimeter of my garage for tote storage. I use the 18 gallon black totes with the yellow tops and have the shelves low enough off the ceiling to stack 2 of them. The shelves are lag screwed into the studs and supported on the front with chain and turn buckles to the joists.
For wall storage I plan on going with a french cleat system. I can easily make cleats in house and cover an entire wall with strips and vertically space them to meet my needs. The cleats will be screwed into studs and I will not have to be concerned with the weight of what I put up. Once the base cleats are up I can hang anything from any place to suit my needs. Homemade tool holders, shelves, peg board panel, hangers, cabinets, ect. If I need to change things up they can slide or move all together with no additional holes or fuss.
Wherever my work bench ends up I will just do a mini cleat system for smaller items.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Personally I dont care for peg board. Maybe small sections of it or the metal omniwall stuff.
Good timing as I just moved and have an garage to turn into a woodshop to get my hobby business going again. My first step is storage and using space that such as the ceiling to free up floor space. I have 2'x8' shelves suspended around the perimeter of my garage for tote storage. I use the 18 gallon black totes with the yellow tops and have the shelves low enough off the ceiling to stack 2 of them. The shelves are lag screwed into the studs and supported on the front with chain and turn buckles to the joists.
For wall storage I plan on going with a french cleat system. I can easily make cleats in house and cover an entire wall with strips and vertically space them to meet my needs. The cleats will be screwed into studs and I will not have to be concerned with the weight of what I put up. Once the base cleats are up I can hang anything from any place to suit my needs. Homemade tool holders, shelves, peg board panel, hangers, cabinets, ect. If I need to change things up they can slide or move all together with no additional holes or fuss.
Wherever my work bench ends up I will just do a mini cleat system for smaller items.
like the perimeter storage idea. have to look up that french thingy. lol

I'm trying to work with the last owners setup. He really had it organized for his needs at one time. I pretty much have 2 tier perimeter storage already but have to expose it. apparently this guy was of Woodmoose origins, cause his chit was high. even had to lower the darn garage door opener buttons so I could reach.😄
he put up 2 shelves along most of the upper side walls. but then he boxed them in (in place) to create cabinets with doors. I need a 6 foot ladder just to see what the heck was inside. 😄
I've taken one side apart and currently have my wood stack on the shelves. other side is broken up with 2 or 3 similar cabinets.
he also has 5 other cabinets of various size and depth he made that are lower but a little high still, for me. I'm more on a woodsquirrel level..😄

One cabinet he made is cool but not practical for anything I can think of I have, yet. he boxed out 2 4x4 frame and hinged the together. mounting the back and front with plywood. one frame in back and 2 halfed to for a double door. the he added another 2 in framed door to the right side door. 🤔
looks like he had his wrenched lined up in the but I find the tools fall off their nails when you work the door. lol it takes up the space between my rod holders and i thought i could use it for scuba and fishing stuff but it just doesn't jive with what i have and now i found the other half of my rods in a storage unit I'm emptying.😄

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I

I did perimeter shelving as well as some interior shelving on the ceiling. I don’t do peg board either. I had it before and I was constantly looking for tools that got laid somewhere instead of back on the PEF board (and I’m pretty good about “a thing in its place…”). I find that one or two big ass rolling tool boxes is much easier.

For woodworking, the best thing you can do is figure out how to get larger tools out of the way when they aren’t being used. Nail guns, drills, hand tools can all go in a rolling tool box. Everything else needs a place out of the way. I like to put as much off the floor onto the wall as possible (see French cleat comment above). There are some good examples of DIY shelves for drills, bits, batteries, and chargers as well as pancake compressors and nail guns. My table saw and miter saw are both on folding, rolling tables. When I was doing full time carpentry, those two things alone saved me hours every week.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
like the perimeter storage idea. have to look up that french thingy. lol

I'm trying to work with the last owners setup. He really had it organized for his needs at one time. I pretty much have 2 tier perimeter storage already but have to expose it. apparently this guy was of Woodmoose origins, cause his chit was high. even had to lower the darn garage door opener buttons so I could reach.😄
he put up 2 shelves along most of the upper side walls. but then he boxed them in (in place) to create cabinets with doors. I need a 6 foot ladder just to see what the heck was inside. 😄
I've taken one side apart and currently have my wood stack on the shelves. other side is broken up with 2 or 3 similar cabinets.
he also has 5 other cabinets of various size and depth he made that are lower but a little high still, for me. I'm more on a woodsquirrel level..😄

One cabinet he made is cool but not practical for anything I can think of I have, yet. he boxed out 2 4x4 frame and hinged the together. mounting the back and front with plywood. one frame in back and 2 halfed to for a double door. the he added another 2 in framed door to the right side door. 🤔
looks like he had his wrenched lined up in the but I find the tools fall off their nails when you work the door. lol it takes up the space between my rod holders and i thought i could use it for scuba and fishing stuff but it just doesn't jive with what i have and now i found the other half of my rods in a storage unit I'm emptying.😄

i built some heavy duty, vertical, floor-to-ceiling pull out boxes for a friend. The first two had hinged lids so you could pull them out and walk on them like a set of steps to reach the upper shelves. They worked well, but they were super heavy duty ($$$$).

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I been reusing what he had used and seeing what works and doesn't. also have a bit of stuff floating around that I've been trying to use or get rid of. Just got some small bins to mount on the wall for screws, nails, ect. wall space is limited. I have a couple rolling shelves I'm going to use for center storage. also have a 2ft sq rolling cart for my saw. linda want the wood working stuff mobile so I can keep the mess near the doors. Will have a full kitchen for butchering and processing. Oyster roasts, bbq.

I will snap some pics once I get my chit together. Would like to see some of your ideas.