Shooting rest for sighting in a rifle

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have used bags of corn, clothing, rolled up carpet…etc.

I bought caldwell bags one year. Its a forearm rest and a small rest for the buttstock. Thats all you need. It doesnt get much better.

Ive shot off of a lead sled but do not have one. I do not think they are better than bags if a person knows how to use them. I think the sled is better if someone is recoil sensitive.

If you know how to breathe correctly, squeeze the rear bag for minor adjusting, and eat the recoil, the bags will give results as good as most anything.

Ive never shot off of a bipod that I liked.
I agree with this to a point.

Light to me moderate recoil the bags hands down. When you get to heavier recoil the Lead Sled can have the advantage, especially if shooting multiple heavier recoiling rifles during one range session. That being said, the right bag can mitigate a good bit of recoil. I’ll use the 15” Bulls Bag as an example. When used correctly it can significantly reduce felt recoil. Not as much as a Lead Sled, but definitely a good amount. Where the Lead Sled shines is when shooting multiple heavier recoiling rifles/shotguns. When you’re firing 100+ rounds through rifles generating 40+ ft lbs of recoil I’m the course of a couple hours, the Lead Sled is handy.

I will say that while I own a Lead Sled, I don’t often use it.