Shooting Muskrats

moonlight

Four Pointer
F82AA47A-CF1D-4E34-9A50-CB51D6F05AF0.jpegCan anybody tell me if it’s legal to shoot muskrats in a private pond? i have an 8 acre pond that i let quite a few people fish and the holes in the bank are a hazard/legal liability issue for me. I text a wildlife officer earlier since I didn’t want to bother him on a Sunday with a phone call and still haven’t heard back from him. Today would be a great evening to get rid of a few…

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Muskrats are a don't ask, don't tell, shoot on sight, every day of the week and twice on Sunday. So...SSS

But for the legality... unlike beavers, they aren't listed as having a hunting season, only trapping, I believe. When that happens, usually a depredation permit is needed to take them. The damage from the holes would certainly qualify for the (free) permit, but you have to seek one from the WRC or a WDCA operator.

moonlight

Four Pointer
I have been doing the SSS thing. A nosey lady in the area has called the sheriffs dept. My father retired as a wildlife officer in 1997 said if I was the land owner, me and my immediate family could protect the property anytime without a permit unless it was a federally protected species doing the damage. Just hoping somebody else could verify that that was still the case. Maybe the current officer in the area will contact me soon. I can’t imagine getting a ticket for shooting rats in my own pond. Thanks for the replies👍🏻

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have been doing the SSS thing. A nosey lady in the area has called the sheriffs dept. My father retired as a wildlife officer in 1997 said if I was the land owner, me and my immediate family could protect the property anytime without a permit unless it was a federally protected species doing the damage. Just hoping somebody else could verify that that was still the case. Maybe the current officer in the area will contact me soon. I can’t imagine getting a ticket for shooting rats in my own pond. Thanks for the replies👍🏻
I am in the same position as your father and unless something has changed he is correct. I will add to that if you would be in the city limits or some local laws prohibiting the discharge of a firearm you may be in violation but otherwise you should be good.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
As said you can shoot muskrats causing property damage to your property with rifles, pistols and shotguns legal for taking game and non game

Muskrats are classified as furbearers and non game animals for legal purposes but I don't think that applies to the statute protecting property from animal damage

moonlight

Four Pointer
I am in the same position as your father and unless something has changed he is correct. I will add to that if you would be in the city limits or some local laws prohibiting the discharge of a firearm you may be in violation but otherwise you should be good.
Wayyy out in the middle of nowhere, appreciate your confirmation. I’ll keep working on them.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
DAMN, that's a beautiful stretch of water. If it were mine, I would have a shooting bench with sandbags on that dock. Anyone I allowed to fish it, would also be required to bring a rifle. Muskrats, beavers, nutria, and otters would not be welcome :devilish:

Have Gun, Will travel.