Shooting 00 buck through a Rilfled Barrel?

useyourbow

Eight Pointer
Shooting 00 buck through a Rilfled shotgun Barrel?

just wondering if it is wise or once you go rifled you must stick with slugs?

Sp8

Ten Pointer
I have no personal experience but I would hedge against doing that. If you want to shoot Buck shot you need a smooth bore with appropriate choke. I would stick with Sabots in a rifled barrel. IMO

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Shooting 00 buck through a Rilfled shotgun Barrel?

just wondering if it is wise or once you go rifled you must stick with slugs?
It will shoot.
It will work close range.
It will so crud up the barrel really bad and risk having part of the wad on light loads obstruct the barrel.

Best to use slugs for a slug barrel and shot or buck in the smooth barrel.

What is the reason behind this? Just to use at range, self protection, hunting?

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
home protection due to nothing else available will work just perfect, deer hunting weekend after weekend not so much

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
The spin put on the wad by the rifling will cause it to scatter similar to a dounut pattern. Itll spread harder than a cylinder choke. Id say pattern it on a large piece of cardboard starting at 10 yards and close in from there and youll see what it does. It wont damage the gun at all youll just need to keep the bore clean

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
what they said,,,,rifling will spin the wad/shot column and cause a wide open pattern as soon as it leaves the barrel

I had an H&R SB1 with the 18 (or was it 20) inch rifled slug barrel,,,,never shot the first slug from it,,,used it for an extreme short range rabbit gun when I knew the hunt would require low crawling and tight spaces (think hunting swampers),,,you just pointed that gun in the general direction of a rabbit and it was dead,,as long as it was from 0 to 15 feet away,,,,after that forget it

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Should work great out to oh, say 10’...........

They actually make rifled “spreader” chokes for clays. It’s called spreader for a reason..........