Shockwave - bonded (Blue tip) or nonbonded (Yellow tip) Which do you shoot.

Mtns2hunt

Maybe there is a post in this forum that addresses bonded vs. non-bonded TC Shockwaves but I have not found it.

The debate is raging about the shockwave bullets either fragmenting upon impact and separating or penciling through game with no expansion. It is said that the blue tipped bonded shockwave holds together better and does not fragment.

At the same time it is said that the regular shockwave yellow tip will pencil through leaving a very small hole with no expansion. I am also hearing that the yellow shockwave is for target practice only. I wonder if the harder Blue tipped shockwave would pencil through even more then the yellow.

I am looking for someone that has shot both bullets on targets and game and would like to hear their opinion on the performance of these projectiles.

All opinions are welcome. I am just trying to learn and perhaps find a better mouse trap.

By the way I have killed over sixty deer with the yellow tipped Shockwave.

hunter930

Six Pointer
I shoot the yellow tips in my .45 encore, they do a great job,even beyond 200 yds. They are the same bullet as the SST, and Ive never heard anyone talk bad about those.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Non bonded for black powder and subs, bonded for muzzleloaders that shoot smokeless powders, due to their higher velocity the bonded ones hold together better...

My buddies and I have killed about the same number with the non bonded ones, I went to Hornady XTPs a few years back as with the Shockwaves I got to where I would put the bullet in the shoulder blade, then I knew it would open up... :)

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I shoot the SSTs which I think are non-bonded. Haven't had a problem with them.

rem1148

I don`t think my Accura V2 produces enough velocity to make my shockwaves expand like they should. I did kill a big old doe at 178 yards. That's my longest shot and killed several more at closer ranges. Never lost an animal shooting them!

Mtns2hunt

"I don`t think my Accura V2 produces enough velocity to make my shockwaves expand like they should. I did kill a big old doe at 178 yards. That's my longest shot and killed several more at closer ranges. Never lost an animal shooting them!"

Just my opinion but I have found with the regular shockwaves I shoot that the best shot is the shoulder shot just as nchawkeye states above. On chest shots I shoot in the lower 3rd for a good blood trail. Deer normally do not go far but I believe it is unreasonable to expect a deer to drop on the spot every time you shoot one. I have seen them run 100 yards even when shot with a 300 ultra mag.

The issue is probably not your Accura V2, although I have never shot one.

Last edited:

Deerjager

I use the yellows with no problems at all in two different Encores.

Last edited:

JLove1974

Twelve Pointer
I use the red tip 'Shockwaves' otherwise known as the Hornady SST ML. Never had one fragment but I've had them blow a hole in a deer on exit just like a .30-06 BT would. Not sure if bonded blue tips get you anything more better with thin skinned game, in fact, probably the opposite ie: less expansion. Anyhow, I've got a pack of them if I ever get a shot at a hog during ML season.

Mtns2hunt

I use the red tip 'Shockwaves' otherwise known as the Hornady SST ML. Never had one fragment but I've had them blow a hole in a deer on exit just like a .30-06 BT would. Not sure if bonded blue tips get you anything more better with thin skinned game, in fact, probably the opposite ie: less expansion. Anyhow, I've got a pack of them if I ever get a shot at a hog during ML season.

I used the Hornady bullet (250 grain) a few years ago. I think I changed because a buddy was using the 200 grain Shockwave (40 ca.) and killing some awesome deer. I have two or three boxes and will probably shoot them this summer. I agree with you on the bonded bullets: if the regular shockwave will pencil through I am sure a bonded Shockwave will too.

I have never shot a hog but it sounds as if the bonded bullet would be just the thing for hogs or a bear. I actually stopped using Barns bullets because they penciled through and would not expand unless hitting bone.

My overall conclusion is that shot placement is of paramount importance as well as knowing how your bullet performs at different ranges and velocities. There is a lot of information coming out of these forums from individuals of varying experience and knowledge. I plan to continue shooting the yellow tipped shockwave: after all the 8 deer I killed this year with a muzzle loader neither complained nor went far.

Should you or anyone else shoot a hog with one of the Blue Tipped Shockwaves I would appreciate knowing how it performed.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
and I shot 15-20 deer with the non-bonded 250 shockwave at 2300fps,,, no problems shooting dead on shoulders, ribs, angling away,,,, whatever