Shellcrackers?

chevync20

Twelve Pointer
Give the post spawn crappie fishing being up and down, I would like to try and catch a few shellcrackers. The only ones I have ever really caught have come from farm ponds, but one of my local NC reservoirs is suppose to have top notch shell cracker fishing. Any tips and pointers anyone would like to share? Night crawlers the preferred bait of choice? Can you fish them like crappie with multiple rods or are a single rod in hand better? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I catch plenty of them crappie fishing around docks, but I'm sure there are better ways. I have always found redear to like rocky or gravel bottoms, and the fish will hold near the bottom. A week and a half ago, they were spawning here in the pond.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
From that article: "It's all about the angle of the dangle."

Man, that sounds like a bad pickup line!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i have some fond memories of ole harris. we fished it pre ramp and would be the only boat on it. On the weekend.
Thinks about that one. :)

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Crickets...........

I'm no fishing expert but when catching them for catfish bait I've caught the crap out of em on crickets when you couldn't buy a bite on a worm. A cricket and a split shot, catching them every cast before it made it to the bottom...dont know about a lake tho

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Caught a lot fly fishing with a green San Juan worm, cast into the shallows and let it settle on the bottom. Ease it back and let it fall. If one is there he will smash it.