Shark Tooth Diving

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
That thing is massive and terrifying to think of how big the animal was that held that tooth. We’re you diving at night or was it just deep?

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll bite, what’s it worth?

Don’t let the shark week hear about, they’ll be trying to chum up megaladon lololol!

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
We take my son shark tooth hunting in the creek here. Havent found any big ones yet but we find tons of nice regular sized ones.

Where are you diving if you dont mind me asking?

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Where are you diving if you dont mind me asking?

All I am at liberty to divulge is "East of I-95". We dive a lot of rivers in NC and while my answer may be vague it is truthful. Any river E of 95 will contain fossils. You just have to spend a lot of time to find the places where you can get to them (not covered by several feet of muck).

I used to be a fossil guide for PCS Phosphate when they allowed visitors to collect. Its a shame they stopped outsiders from accessing the pit. The bucketwheel had to remove 20-30' of overburden before the drag lines could get to work. The next layer contained James City, Yorktown, then Pungo formations. If you can find someplace that accesses the Yorktown formation you can find megs and large hastalis (mako) teeth. Look for Chesapecten jeffersonius shells to identify the Yorktown material. Those are huge scallop shells and are usually in a blue-grey clay material.

I've been reading/seeing a lot of posts of the teeth found in GMR during the last few months. That creek is getting hit hard, but will be worth the trip for your family. Megs are rare there but the creek is known for the quality of Great White teeth that are found.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
All I am at liberty to divulge is "East of I-95". We dive a lot of rivers in NC and while my answer may be vague it is truthful. Any river E of 95 will contain fossils. You just have to spend a lot of time to find the places where you can get to them (not covered by several feet of muck).

I used to be a fossil guide for PCS Phosphate when they allowed visitors to collect. Its a shame they stopped outsiders from accessing the pit. The bucketwheel had to remove 20-30' of overburden before the drag lines could get to work. The next layer contained James City, Yorktown, then Pungo formations. If you can find someplace that accesses the Yorktown formation you can find megs and large hastalis (mako) teeth. Look for Chesapecten jeffersonius shells to identify the Yorktown material. Those are huge scallop shells and are usually in a blue-grey clay material.

I've been reading/seeing a lot of posts of the teeth found in GMR during the last few months. That creek is getting hit hard, but will be worth the trip for your family. Megs are rare there but the creek is known for the quality of Great White teeth that are found.

Yeah that's where we go. We have found lots of smaller teeth and have seen a guy find a couple 3 inch teeth so I know they are there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200704-171617_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200704-171617_Gallery.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 76

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
What size screen are you using?

I would expect you would find belemnites.

What are those? I am just using a screen like a screened in porch zip tied to a circular piece of water hose. We just started doing it this year in the last month. We find sharks teeth and what someone told me were squid pieces? Like hollow tubes with a point on the end.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Those hollow tubes are squid pieces aka belemnites.

If you are using porch screen you are probably using too fine a mesh. I'd get a small roll of 1/4" galvanized screen. Build a 1' x 2' or 2' x 2' box and secure the screen. Wrap a pool noodle around the frame so it floats. You may miss those small teeth but you can work a lot of material in a short time frame. With so many people in the creek you'll need to move more gravel to find those bigger teeth. There will be a lot of worked gravel on the top.

Reactions: rni

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Thank you for the info like I said we just started doing this a couple of months ago hopefully one day we'll find some awesome sharks teeth like you found.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I have family that used to walk the shores of the Neuse river years ago picking up shark teeth. I've tried it several times, and have never found one. Cool finds 👍

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Have a buddy that does site work down in the SC lowcountry. Whenever they start a job he finds quite a few meg teeth. His collection is beyond impressive. He has sold a few and there is a big market for those things. I know he has collected some big money for teeth that were in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timber

Twelve Pointer
Son has found right many of the big teeth. The catch river low and wade it looking for gravel bottoms. They dont use any screens. They have some homade rakes with steel pipe handles to drag the bottom. When you lift up the rake the current of the water washes out the sand and gravel as you lift the rake. Probably miss some of the smaller ones that way. But they mainly target the larger ones

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I loved finding teeth at Camp Lejeune. I don’t know if it was because they didn’t pump sand onto it or not as many people, but you could find a bunch. Found some big ones too. Nothing that big or nice though.
C5B26832-E4A8-407D-BE21-39915B343C48.jpegA1CF3659-C1C7-439D-91BD-96A062006D93.jpeg

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
My scuba instructor/friend used to dive for them in a river in the Columbia, SC area. I think that was the area. He had some nice ones.