Shark Tooth Diving

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
I've spent many hours underwater in the lowcountry of SC looking for fossils. The interesting thing about the SC rivers is the fact that there is often a jumbled mix of material on the bottom. You can find chubutensis or auriculatus teeth next to a meg. You never really know what you might find. Here in NC the rivers seem to be more stratified. You can go to one river and find the auriculatus and another for megs.

Here's an often overlooked fact about the teeth:

The side most people look at is actually the back (lingual) side. The side of the tooth that you would see as the shark was headed toward you (labial) is actually the flat side.

Last edited:

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I've spent many hours underwater in the lowcountry of SC looking for fossils. The interesting thing about the SC rivers is the fact that there often a jumbled mix of material on the bottom. You can find chubutensis or auriculatus teeth next to a meg. You never really know what you might find. Here in NC the rivers seem to be more stratified. You can go to one river and find the auriculatus and another for megs.

Here's an often overlooked fact about the teeth:

The side most people look at is actually the back (lingual) side. The side of the tooth that you would see as the shark was headed toward you (labial) is actually the flat side.
The tooth side still strikes me as odd.

wRick

Four Pointer
For people interested in value, I recommend Megateeth.com

Bill is a great guy and finds all the teeth himself.

I've gone diving with him several times off the NC coast and a couple times in Georgia.

I lost my tooth bag once in a pitch black river and he said: "Oh, I know where you were, I'll probably find it tomorrow."

I was thinking "Yeah right, we're never gonna find that bag!"

Sure enough, he found it! Still had my whale tooth and nearly 3" Mako inside.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Never have hunted them in rivers but have a couple apothecary jars full that I picked up on the beaches on the NC coast. No 6 inchers but some in the 2"-3" range and lots of smaller ones.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
First of all, it's Shark Month on NatGeo.

Sharks are territorial it seems, so if millions of years ago, a megaladon shark lost it's took where you're diving, it's probably fair to assume other smaller sharks call it home now. DON'T DIVE THERE!

Second of all, if you ARE diving where sharks have either eaten, been eaten and pooped out, or naturally died, way below the waters surface (where air is), I don't think you are supposed to YELL into your scuba gear when you find a something fossilized (word?) over millions of years!!!

Your video, would make an OSHA guy quit his job!

Congrats on the find! Still got the one from the DDC dinner next to my keyboard!

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Took kids camping and did the fossil/Gem panning thing, reminded me a guy on here had sold me 3 pretty perfect Meg teeth 4-5 years ago. Searching for the thread I found this one. The guy was pretty fantastic and looking at prices he extremely under charged me. Kids still have the 3 teeth though I have to scold when the youngest swipes them and hides in his toy box. The first link had shadow boxes so I’ll order some. Would love to find a place to take them panning/digging for real. Pretty sure the arrowheads in those premade bags are replicas and the rest of the stuff is lower quality rejects but kids loved it. Too dang hot to start with the metal detector. Last trip it poured. Only used in our lawn after I “seeded”.

The fossils in the link are pretty awesome. No clue why a insect thing costs $8k while a Raptor tooth is $80 though.

wRick

Four Pointer
Took kids camping and did the fossil/Gem panning thing, reminded me a guy on here had sold me 3 pretty perfect Meg teeth 4-5 years ago. Searching for the thread I found this one. The guy was pretty fantastic and looking at prices he extremely under charged me. Kids still have the 3 teeth though I have to scold when the youngest swipes them and hides in his toy box. The first link had shadow boxes so I’ll order some. Would love to find a place to take them panning/digging for real. Pretty sure the arrowheads in those premade bags are replicas and the rest of the stuff isw old your kids are lower quality rejects but kids loved it. Too dang hot to start with the metals detector. Last trip it poured. Only used in our lawn after I “seeded”.

The fossils in the link are pretty awesome. No clue why a insect thing costs $8k while a Raptor tooth is $80 thoug
Asking about fossil hunting sites is about like asking where someone's honey hole for hunting or fishing is!

But, the NC Museum of life and sciences has a small fossil hunting pit where they bring material in from the PCS Phosphate mine in Aurora, and the Aurora fossil museum has material brought in regularly that you can dig and screen to find mostly shark teeth and some other fossils.

Don't know what the status of the Aurora fossil festival is given the COVID situation. But it's a great event to attend if you're interested in fossils. Bill is almost always there and my friend Al who makes fossil T shirts and sells some teeth.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Asking about fossil hunting sites is about like asking where someone's honey hole for hunting or fishing is!

But, the NC Museum of life and sciences has a small fossil hunting pit where they bring material in from the PCS Phosphate mine in Aurora, and the Aurora fossil museum has material brought in regularly that you can dig and screen to find mostly shark teeth and some other fossils.

Don't know what the status of the Aurora fossil festival is given the COVID situation. But it's a great event to attend if you're interested in fossils. Bill is almost always there and my friend Al who makes fossil T shirts and sells some teeth.

I’m in NE PA, not asking for local sites. Just pointing out kids had fun in “canned” exposition. Wildlifer was who I got teeth from I think. Wildlifer was also the one trapping pest animals and dropped off fresh fish from his coastal trip in ‘14-‘15 if memory is good. I’ve been offline on vacation to Hershey PA and prior was trying to get ready for it by wrapping all the remodel projects but think I saw he was Reloing. Of course, could have it all confused too.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Looking through PMs Wildlifer sent me 3 perfect huge teeth for a great price. I don’t see any recent posts from him on teeth so maybe he’s not been diving.

wRick

Four Pointer
Seeing that whale tooth makes me think we might have found one the other day. I'll have to take a pic and see what yall think.
You're near Greenville? You probably walk over whale and Megalodon teeth every day. Ten or twenty feet deep probably, but accessible in certain rivers and creeks.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Thought it was you. Are you looking at a relo out west or something?
Yea I’ll be moving to colorado pretty soon. Leaving my dive gear in Wilmington for emergency rehydration and resupply of fish.
I sorta remember dropping that off, long since forgot about the cooler!

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Yea I’ll be moving to colorado pretty soon. Leaving my dive gear in Wilmington for emergency rehydration and resupply of fish.
I sorta remember dropping that off, long since forgot about the cooler!
Lol, It was 6+ years ago. I remember it was my first and only flounder but it was awesome.

Good luck in Colorado. I looked at CO and WA for potential relos a few years back and real estate then was insane. That was when other areas where cratering. I can’t imagine now. I’m fairness, my wife’s family lives on Vashun island in Seattle and I focused my WA search there. Colorado was Denver area and Winter Park.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Lol, It was 6+ years ago. I remember it was my first and only flounder but it was awesome.

Good luck in Colorado. I looked at CO and WA for potential relos a few years back and real estate then was insane. That was when other areas where cratering. I can’t imagine now. I’m fairness, my wife’s family lives on Vashun island in Seattle and I focused my WA search there. Colorado was Denver area and Winter Park.
Thanks, its not any better. We are having a time trying to find a decent house.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Thanks, its not any better. We are having a time trying to find a decent house.
I recall a 1/2 acre lot was $3-400k. About like Germantown is just outside Memphis when I looked recently. Pretty crazy when you consider that’s just the bare land, pretty proud of their dirt.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
I recall a 1/2 acre lot was $3-400k. About like Germantown is just outside Memphis when I looked recently. Pretty crazy when you consider that’s just the bare land, pretty proud of their dirt.
I guess they subdivided those 1/2 acre lots. A lot of places near denver are 0.1 with a 3 bed 2 bath house on it for 400k+

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I guess they subdivided those 1/2 acre lots. A lot of places near denver are 0.1 with a 3 bed 2 bath house on it for 400k+
Called Denver home for 15 years, grew to hate the place. Told my wife I was going back to NC, she could go with me or stay there, her choice. You can't get her out of NC for love nor money now.

The 5 year old house we sold in 1976 for $29,500 is now estimated by Redfin at $423,000.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
It takes all my courage to wade into the ocean. I can’t imagine diving in it. I’ve always had a distrust for water I can’t see into. NC water is a lot clearer compared to the frigid dark ocean up here though.