Shark ID?

gr_andrews

Button Buck
Contributor
I went fishing recently with my brother and I don’t know what I caught.
First time salt water fishing.
Late night dusk to dawn.
Caught on a chunk of cut bait.
He says “Sand shark” but i’m trying to find regs on keeping sharks (it got thrown back)
Can anyone help ID?
Roughly 18” long
7e29b93431e542e08b7cc7af35674996.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
SMALL COASTAL
North of 34° 00’ N. Latitude Allowable Species: Atlantic sharpnose, bonnethead, and finetooth From January 1 until the annual quota is reached but not later than December 31

Open South of 34° 00’ N. Latitude Allowable Species: Atlantic sharpnose, bonnethead, finetooth, and blacknose*** From January 1 until the annual quota is reached but not later than December 31 Open

***It is unlawful to possess blacknose sharks north of the 34° 00' N. Latitude (approximately at Kure Beach, North Carolina).

Small Coastal: This group is exempt from harvest and size restrictions except for blacknose sharks. It is unlawful to possess blacknose sharks north of the 34° 00' N. Latitude (approximately at Kure Beach, North Carolina). It is unlawful to possess more than 8 blacknose sharks per trip south of the 34° 00' N. Latitude (approximately at Kure Beach, North Carolina).

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Recreational Shore-Angler Possession Limits: It is unlawful for each angler to possess more than one (1) shark from the recreationally permitted species list per person per calendar day. One (1) Atlantic sharpnose and one (1) bonnethead may be possessed per person per calendar day, in addition to the one (1) shark from the recreationally permitted species list.

So from shore looks like 1 per day

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
G. It is unlawful to fish for or possess sharks (except spiny dogfish) from Coastal Waters for recreational purposes using hook and line gear with natural bait unless using a nonstainless steel, non-offset circle hook, regardless of tackle or lure configuration. Natural bait is defined as any living or dead organism (animal or plant) or parts thereof. Non-offset circle hook is defined as a hook with the point pointed perpendicularly back towards the shank and the point and barb are in the same plane as the shank. (See Diagrams)

H. It is unlawful for recreational fishermen to possess any shark without head, tail, and fins intact with the carcass through the point of landing. Anglers may still gut and bleed the carcass provided the tail is not removed. Filleting any shark is prohibited, until that shark is offloaded at the dock or on shore.