Sharing Harvest Question

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Befriend a Hmong or Laotian family. They will take anything and everything off your hands. Deer, squirrels, rabbits, birds, coyotes, possums, they want it and they eat it.

They break out the blow torch too!!

Plus Mom is anti-hunting, so....maybe later in the season I will have my own place with a freezer I can put wild game meat in. :p

Be tough to explain when critters start showing up in there...

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Several years ago a restaurant in Concord had a few Mexican busboys.... I would drop deer off out back behind the restaurant for them. I don't know if they cleaned them in the restaurant after hours, took them home... I didn't ask... I got to rid my area of too many does and they got to eat so it was mutually beneficial!

Would that be the same Mexican restaurant that got busted by the Health Dept for “unknown animal carcasses” hanging in their walk in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Would that be the same Mexican restaurant that got busted by the Health Dept for “unknown animal carcasses” hanging in their walk in?

Hahaha no, it was not a mexican restaurant, but I guess they could have taken them to that place to process them IDK [emoji15]

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I need to give raccoon another try in my kitchen, first time maybe I didn't remove enough fat. I understand raccoon was a staple in Native American diet...

timber

Twelve Pointer
On the raccoon make sure you remove all the scent glands before cooking. We usully boiled them to almost done to get rid of the fat. Then cut meat off and put in oven with vinegar base bbq sauce

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
On the raccoon make sure you remove all the scent glands before cooking. We usully boiled them to almost done to get rid of the fat. Then cut meat off and put in oven with vinegar base bbq sauce
Timber, thanks for the tip, I will give that recipe a try.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

that's how my Wife's grandma made it every thanksgiving,,,

I tri,m and cook on the grill,,,fat left runs off

and excellent call on the scent glands,,,same on squirrels,,,hogs, deer, dang, almost everything - where much of the "gaminess" that folks don't like comes from

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Ducky Dave........ if you are into different wild foods maybe you can make it to the Wild Game Dinner in Feb. which is put on by the NC State Leopold Wildlife Club. We usually have around 10-15 show up and pig out on everything you can imagine. It is held in Cary in late Feb. early March. More info will come closer to the event.

Aaron871

Four Pointer
I've never had coon meat before, but those look good! How do you like to cook them?

I threw a couple on the smoker and they were ok... that’s a good way to get through a lot of the fat. Maybe I just never found a sauce that I thought worked.

The ones I pressure cooked were remarkably good. Ate them with mashed potatoes.

JD1107

How many squirrels you plan on killing? If you’re limited on freezer space only kill what you can eat. Then hunt for more.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Most animals. Especially squirrel and raccoons. All you do is gut them. Squirt lighter fluid on them. Burn them. Hot water and scrape. Hack the head and feet off.. unless you eat the head. Then hack it up. Then brown and boil.

Add to any dish[emoji4]