Shallow water Anchors for boats?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Guy, been looking at some shallow water anchors. Not going to spend the time, weight or money of the Blades, Talons and other electronic type.

Looking at the pin type and one piece maybe 9 feet.
Not hearing good things about the 2 or 3 piece and the 9' is about the only one piece length I can find..

If you use them, what are your likes and dislikes on them. Found some name brand in the 80$ price range.

Objective is for mud flats, creeks and points. There are some places I want to night fish where I can place the boat on the flat or next to shore and cast in the channel.

If you have them do you use them much, worth hauling around and the money.
They will also be nice to beach the boat at the house. Just saves pulling anchor and having anchor covered with mud.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Just depends on the location and use. They work great in the marsh. I can run around in a small boat and just use the pin off the side with a short line to it. My pin has a T handle on top so I just tie off to it. Some guys use the Spud type with the bracket on the boat which works ok, a little more trouble IMO.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just depends on the location and use. They work great in the marsh. I can run around in a small boat and just use the pin off the side with a short line to it. My pin has a T handle on top so I just tie off to it. Some guys use the Spud type with the bracket on the boat which works ok, a little more trouble IMO.
Thanks

Most will be lake and coves on the lake or around islands.
About the same type of use I see a lot of people in the sound using them.
May still anchor front and cast of the back, just using a pin to keep the back from moving around so much.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Definitely all dependent on substrate and weather. It’s tough to manually stick the pin well enough in sand to hold in any type of wind. Mud and soft stuff it’s not problem.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
cajun anchor - great for muddy bottoms in fresh and saltwater. and very quiet

This is what I grew up with. Stainless rod with a point on one end and a ring attached to the other (for your line and a float). Throw it in the mud and you're good.

I've seen some homemade 10-12' pins with a T on top like described above. They seemed to work too, just a bit longer to stow.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Looked at the SS pins. Not really sure I want the weight of the metal along with having it on the deck of an aluminum boat. Just have a fealing it will be loud to deal with and hard on the deck. Looked at coating them or using shrink tube on the outside of it.
Maybe an aluminum pin with less weight maybe.
May just try one of the fiberglass pins for now. Found a T handle 9' pin rope at Cabelas for 80$ and they are running 10% off tuesdays plus I have some points.
Be a cheap way to test one. Have about 4o to 50$ in it.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Looked at the SS pins. Not really sure I want the weight of the metal along with having it on the deck of an aluminum boat. Just have a fealing it will be loud to deal with and hard on the deck. Looked at coating them or using shrink tube on the outside of it.
May just try one of the fiberglass pins for now. Found a T handle 9' pin rope at Cabelas for 80$ and they are running 10% off tuesdays plus I have some points.

A buddy of mine was talking about using some sort of plastic wrapped landscaping stake, but I don't really know what he means.

We used our anchor in an aluminum boat inshore and stowed it in a short piece of PVC

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Buy one. It has changed the way I fish saltwater. I rarely use an anchor inshore anymore as the pin is quiet, simple and cheap .

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
solid fiberglass rods are better than pvc.... 3/4 inch diameter and you dont get mud in them.. you can get a point on them by just cutting or working them back and forth on the driveway

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I imagine you could put a point on PVC pipe that doesn't let mud in by heating and then flattening one end?

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have found in the sun PVC gets very soft and flexible. Too soft to use a rope on the top.
No Maybe a solid SS or aluminum then glue the PVC over the top to protect the boat from damage.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
You can get the fiberglass rods at graingers.
Think the 3/4" dia x 10' was about $45 last time i looked...fyi

TH80

Eight Pointer
I have a stick it anchor pole. I use mine in the sound and it’s quick and easy. I think I paid about $80 for it. It’s 8’ and came with 2 different size ropes with loops on each end that go around the cleat. Worth the money in my opinion

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I've used one made by Stick-IT on a buddies boat. Its 9ft, and holds an 18ft skiff really well. Nothing fancy, just the pole and a 6ft lenght of poly rope.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Sportsman's Wholesale in Morehead City has 8ft poles with a T handle for $45. I saw them this afternoon. I don't know what it would take to ship it, or if you would be near by anytime soon. I figured I would pass on the info.