Shakespeare Wondereel

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
So, if I wanted to put a 1951 Model 1922 Wondereel in service, just because its sitting here in good shape, what do you recommend for a rod, line and lure weight?

And yes, I know there are better options (maybe :unsure: ) and I have a variety of decent to better than decent bait casters and spinning gear, but this came out of a sock from my Uncle's (RIP) top drawer, so I might as well use it....

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
depending on the size and line you use,,, I'd go for a 7 ft baitcasting rod,,medium action,,,and go have fun

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
depending on the size and line you use,,, I'd go for a 7 ft baitcasting rod,,medium action,,,and go have fun
OK, I actually have one of those at the house, but I need to rehab the guides. No problem there, I need another project to work on in the evenings to relax.

But now, the new & improved question - fishing line.

I've determined that I am going to respool everything in the arsenal.

So in addition to the miniscule Wondereel, I have a couple Zebco spincasts I keep ready for the kids. Typically, I run 4 or 6 pound mono. Curious if I go bulk line, will that work in the old Shakespeare OR should I be looking at another line that would work in all of them OR stick with the 4-6 mono and get something different for the Shakespeare.

That said, I also have an old Daiwa BW2 and A Shimano Curado 51E that both run 10 or 12 mono. Do I keep up with that or go braided? I have medium/heavy rods for both those and they are mostly used for bass. If we are looking at medium action on the shakespeare, would it be better to use this line for it as well?

I have an ultralight spinner I'll just put more braid on.

And I need another small spincaster for a collapsible rod I keep in the truck that I'd like to run braid in, but I've never run braid in a spincast before.

Just general conversation questions. Anyone's welcome to chime in.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Too many variables- I’m out

But the braid / mono question- to me it’s a personal choice on how you want it,,, basically stretch or no stretch- pros and cons for both types

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
probably stick to mono on the old stuff. Braid was hard in equipment when it came out. Tends to bind on spools and can get caught up in seems. My experience anyway.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
For me 4lb mono wins. Sufix elite or stren. Or light lures consider andy line. Cheap, thin, and supple. Kinda like… nah…. however, the mr crappie line at academy in 4lb is really a 6lb but is great for the price, if you go in knowing that.

Im definitely a light tackle guy.

How small an underspin? I’ve got a several year old, never used zebco micro 11 under spin sitting somewhere. I’m not even sure it’s ever been spooled. I know it’s never been fished. I’d consider parting with it. I’m in Winston. Trade straight up for a decent beer. But if ya ask really nicely I might even give it to ya.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had tried braid once for freshwater trout. It was a mess. cast way too well for small streams. Trees, wind knots and that stuff would slice you open quick.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
For me 4lb mono wins. Sufix elite or stren. Or light lures consider andy line. Cheap, thin, and supple. Kinda like… nah…. however, the mr crappie line at academy in 4lb is really a 6lb but is great for the price, if you go in knowing that.

Im definitely a light tackle guy.

How small an underspin? I’ve got a several year old, never used zebco micro 11 under spin sitting somewhere. I’m not even sure it’s ever been spooled. I know it’s never been fished. I’d consider parting with it. I’m in Winston. Trade straight up for a decent beer. But if ya ask really nicely I might even give it to ya.
Ok, bro. You need to define "decent beer".. ;)

@Dick you are right about braid getting into the seems. So I got a roll with a diameter equivalent to 12 pound mono. We'll see what happens.

And @TobyScreams , I got the crappie 4lb mono for all the basic gear. Big roll. Should be ok for a while.

@woodmoose , I think I'll rig the daiwa with a mono leader to get my stretch, and the Shimano straight braid. See which I like better.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
@TobyScreams , I like the size of the Micro 11, but as it turns out, I'm gonna need a top mount for my pack pole.

But thanks for the offer. Seriously.

Now I to figure out what to do with the Highlands Black Mocha Stouts....