Shad

gameland

Twelve Pointer
I'm probably gonna get laughed at here over this but oh well. Are yall eating these shad that y'all are catching in the rivers in the eastern part of the state. Are they the typical shad that we use for bait back in the piedmont? Just doesn't look very appealing. Maybe I'm missing out?

Last edited:

coondog87

Eight Pointer
I do not eat them .They are edible but very boney. I freeze all mine and use them through the year as catfish bait.

cmcarter

Six Pointer
I'm probably gonna get laughed at here over this but oh well. Are yall eating these shad that y'all are catching in the rivers in the eastern part of the state. Are they the typical shad that we use for bait back in the piedmont? Just doesn't look very appealing. Maybe I'm missing out?

Yes these are the same shads that we use as cut bait. No we don't eat them, like Coon said...very boney.

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
Shad roe is one of my favorite foods. The meat is good too. It can be boney but you can fillet the floating bones out. Also if you score the sides and fry hard the bones sort of cook away.

[video=youtube;fTAgJWTTm4I]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTAgJWTTm4I[/video]

[video=youtube;djw_zVslELg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djw_zVslELg[/video]

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
,,,,Are yall eating these shad that y'all are catching in the rivers in the eastern part of the state.

I pickle them,,,,love it,,,,,but if you don't like pickled fish then you won't like it - I happen to like pickled herring, pickled shad, pickled pike, etc,,,,,plus shad roe is good eats,

Are they the typical shad that we use for bait back in the piedmont?

Depends on what you are referring to as "typical". North Carolina actually has six different species of shad: the American shad, hickory shad, blueback herring, alewife, threadfin shad, and gizzard shad. If your talking "typical" of piedmont reservoirs then no, those are most likely threadfin or gizzard shad,,,,,,,,

,,,,,Maybe I'm missing out?

you are! But that's OK,,,,,different strokes for different folks,,,,,,,,,,,

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
As a central NC born and breed I was in for a shock when I moved to Goldsboro in the mid 80's. All my buddy's could talk about after new year was the upcoming shad season. I didn't have a clue but I was game. I will fish for anything. I tried to eat the first one I caught and boy was I disappointed! I fried them and tried to eat them and let me tell you I thought that fish would knock a buzzard off a S*$t wagon! Nasty. If that was not enough my girlfriend's mother talked me into trying some roe in scrambled eggs. OH HELL NO, nasty, and I eat almost anything! That being said I love to fish for them. They put up one of the best fights in fresh water. After my first attempt to eat them I would just keep a few males for the freezer for catfish bait.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
I don't mind oily fish fried baked or broiled. We used to filet kings and cut them in strips and fry them. Very tasty. Called them king fingers.

Sent from my iPhone using My big fat fingers.

crittergitter

Ten Pointer
The Shad would probably be good smoked, like a Bluefish or Spanish Mackerel..

When I lived in Emerald Isle I used to broil Spanish mackerel with salt, pepper and butter. Right before it was done a bit of fresh parm cheese, lip smacking fight your mamma over the last bite good.
Now I'm hungry!

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I liked the taste of fried shad. Just caught and fried same day. Way to many bones to eat. I'll have to try cleaning them like on the video. Cooked fresh they were as good as fresh herring.