shad itch,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
read an article in FFG on shad fishing,,,,gave me the itch,,,may have to go south a bit here soon,,,,,,

same magazine had a recipe for pickled fish that is slightly different than what I have used,,,,may give it a go,,,,save a pint for nccatfisher!!

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Mid February usually puts some fish up the Neuse in catchable numbers.. at least one or 2.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I've caught them as early as end of January here in NC,,,,few but some,,,,this winters cold may delay that some I think,,,,but you can bet every work trip for now on will include a stop (long or brief) to try for shad at a few rivers north and south,,,,,

JD1107

No luck on the rocks but caught 40+ shad today. Folks around us sure where watching a lot more then catching! Had one boat fish right through our hole not catch one as we pulled 4 out in front of them. Good weekend on the water for sure!

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Have never fished for them but im gonna make it a point to get out catch some. Love to have some to freeze for cut bait. I hear the roe is fine eating as well.

JD1107

Have never fished for them but im gonna make it a point to get out catch some. Love to have some to freeze for cut bait. I hear the roe is fine eating as well.

This was my first time specifically targeting them and they’re a blast to hook up with! We were using them for cut bait for rock, but didn’t have any luck on the bottom besides a few bowfins. Just gonna get better as the weeks gone on.

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
Off the Neuse they have been catching shad and stripers up past Goldsboro. So all your local haunts from Spring Garden up to Goldsboro should be good.

Woodmoose.... if you happen to be near Kinston and stopping to fish, give me a shout and I will try to meet you there.

Last edited:

JD1107

I was asking what river you were fishing on but I take it that you do not even want to share what river you were on. Whatever. It was not like I was asking for GPS coordinates. Think about it.

Take a look at what city I live in maybe that will give you a hint. I’ll give ya GPS coordinates to if you’d like. Told some guys Saturday exactly where to go. Sunday they had fun watching my buddy and I catch fish as they trolled all around us trying to figure out what we were using.

Last edited:

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
You all starting to sound like duck hunters.....

Next thing you will be jumping in someones boat and pullin the gas line off......

JD1107

I have no problem sharing fishing reports and areas where the fish are. I like seeing people catch them as much as I enjoy catching them my self. It’s mountaineer that couldn’t put the puzzle together on where I was fishing and got his panties in a bunch. Rock fish are using the river now as well. Caught one yesterday off the same shad rig.

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
It has been a couple of years since I went to Pitch Kittle creek, heard some of the ramps are closed. Are there any ramps open near the mouth of the creek?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Probably catching some shad all the way to Rocky Mount, maybe a rock or 2 too. I know a couple weeks ago I had reports of shad and at least one rock caught up to Old Sparta. ...of course this is on the Tar.:D