shad itch,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
just got back from Maryland this afternoon and head to Mississippi in the AM and back late Sunday - hopefully can break away from work (and SC turkeys) for a fishing trip

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Fishing was much better this afternoon. Caught about 6 shad and all the striper you wanted. Shad were mixed in with the stripers but I think the stripers usually got to it first. My friend hooked up on a double with striper.

Going to go back at it again tomorrow.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
No shad today. Water was a foot higher and much dirtier. Only saw one person catching and they were on the bank and had the spot I guess.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
No shad today. Water was a foot higher and much dirtier. Only saw one person catching and they were on the bank and had the spot I guess.

How fast was your retrieve? I found the other day slower was better. I almost fished it like I would a Texas rigged bass worm. Hop the rod tip every few seconds with a SLOW retrieve.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
How fast was your retrieve? I found the other day slower was better. I almost fished it like I would a Texas rigged bass worm. Hop the rod tip every few seconds with a SLOW retrieve.

Was fishing a very slow and steady retrieve most of the time.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns

Better get out there today and tomorrow. With another.75 inches of rain potential and the river still coming up and at 9 feet already the river is about to be hard to fish again.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Better get out there today and tomorrow. With another.75 inches of rain potential and the river still coming up and at 9 feet already the river is about to be hard to fish again.

Done for the weekend. Will try and catch some in a creek off the neuse closer to home this week.

Yea, river is rising fast. They are releasing water at the damn. Sucks when that happens because if not it would probably be below 6.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Done for the weekend. Will try and catch some in a creek off the neuse closer to home this week.

Yea, river is rising fast. They are releasing water at the damn. Sucks when that happens because if not it would probably be below 6.

Already back up to the base of the pier. Suspect the town commons becomes unfishable again by tuesday. Atleast I was able to get a few good days in.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
I caught 5 yesterday in about 2 hours time. We bought a tracker boat so I had to try it out. Figured I would wet a line while I was out there :fishing:

JD1107

I’ll be out there shortly. Boats hooked up to the truck just need to get off work so I can hit the water. Plans to catch some shad for catfishing out on high rock this weekend then do some bottom fishing for rocks. Would love to catch a 26” rock before the season closes tomorrow.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
I’ll be out there shortly. Boats hooked up to the truck just need to get off work so I can hit the water. Plans to catch some shad for catfishing out on high rock this weekend then do some bottom fishing for rocks. Would love to catch a 26” rock before the season closes tomorrow.

Caught all the 16-20" you could want when i went shad fishing. They kept breaking our shad rigs off hitting two at a time.

JD1107

Can anyone give info on what the current is like on the Tar between old sparta and rocky mount?
Not sure on that area, but yesterday when I fished the bank at the Falkland ramp the flow was just about perfect. Caught 3 and watched a boat land a crap ton more.

23mako

Ten Pointer
Made it to Battle Park yesterday and caught a handful of whites. Drove up to Weldon with its high banks and dirty water and managed to scratch up 10 on a tsunami shad spoon. Was a nice day to be out and about.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Thats how it was for me at Tarboro on Saturday. No one fishing, nothing biting. Think they're all up river now

I caught my limit there just 3 days ago. Weather depending I'll give it 1 hour in the morning. If I only get a hit or two I'll switch to catfish and bass at river park north.

nontypical

Ten Pointer
No shad for me near Maple Cypress Saturday. Gonna try one more time this week if possible. That will probably be about it for me for shad.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Fished 40 minutes at town commons before the rain and had zero bites. My guess is it's done in greenville

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Try dragging your texas rig worm on the bottom: no hopping required.
just wind it in.
assuming you have a clean bottom (no algae). and you are fishing the bottom not visible cover.
you can thank me later.