shad itch,,,,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
send me some good news Shaggy,,,

I head back from maryland Friday,,,,may have to make a stop on the way and give it a shot

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
two things here

pickled shad - go to Harris Teeter or some such and by some pickled herring,,,try it,,,of you don't like it you won't like pickled shad

two - kimchi - it has nothing to do with shad,,,,but if you don't like kimchi you have issues!!

I like most anything pickled I have ever tried.

I also like kraut a good deal.

I thought kimchi would be similar...but it just wasn’t my thing.

I’ll look for pickled herring. Would I look close to the tuna/sardine area.

Speaking of sardines....I’ve seen in water, oil, mustard, and hot sauce....wonder why there are none pickled? First thing I do is break out the vinegar and black pepper.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Most stores have the pickled herring in the fish cooler area - needs refrigeration

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
No offense fellas I like fish plenty but I'll be darned if I'm eating pickled fish of any kind. I am polish and when we are up north at an ethnic store getting good food they also have pickled whitefish and other kinds.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Put in 30 minutes with green jig gold spoon and 30 minutes with and pink combo. Had no hits except a little 10 to 12 inch dinky bass I caught in the slack water behind the kayak launch.

JD1107

Didn’t get on the water till 1, managed to put 6 in the box including two white perch.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No offense fellas I like fish plenty but I'll be darned if I'm eating pickled fish of any kind. I am polish and when we are up north at an ethnic store getting good food they also have pickled whitefish and other kinds.
Nothing wrong with pickled fish, makes excellent bait of you are planning on trapping grinners or skunks.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
Went crappie fishing and didn't do anything. Though the guys spider rigging with live bait in the same Creek limited out. Me and my dad were throwing jigs. We just didn't have what they wanted.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Water is back up to the bottom of the pier. Gonna be tough shad fishing the tar at greenville if this rain keeps up

JD1107

Water is back up to the bottom of the pier. Gonna be tough shad fishing the tar at greenville if this rain keeps up
Got out over the weekend. 10 Saturday, 2 Sunday. Probably won’t be back out for awhile with how the forecast is looking.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Got out over the weekend. 10 Saturday, 2 Sunday. Probably won’t be back out for awhile with how the forecast is looking.

Looks like the river is forecast to reach 12.9 feet down the road. Not conducive for shad fishing at all. Oh well.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Speaking of---have you ever pickled shad in a cream sauce? Your regular recipe is spot on but I am partial to the pickled herring in cream.

no - I use sour cream sometimes as a condiment with them,,just put a few in a bowl and fold in the sour cream - depends on my taste buds at the time,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Looks like the river is forecast to reach 12.9 feet down the road. Not conducive for shad fishing at all. Oh well.

went by Weldon yesterday - river up well over rocks,,,and it was cold, windy and no fish for me

did see some folks catch a few white perch off the bottom,,

23mako

Ten Pointer
went by Weldon yesterday - river up well over rocks,,,and it was cold, windy and no fish for me

did see some folks catch a few white perch off the bottom,,

I have been wanting to get up there after the perch...were they using two hook bottom rigs with red wigglers?

nchunt101

Ten Pointer
no - I use sour cream sometimes as a condiment with them,,just put a few in a bowl and fold in the sour cream - depends on my taste buds at the time,,,
10-4. Even though I am was born and bred in NC I inherited a love of German/Midwestern foods from my mother's family. My late grandmother,aunt and I used to disgust the rest of our family with our love of pickled and smoked fish.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Well this makes fishing hard. The pier is underwater completely. The kayak launch is bent up and torqued badly.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190226-092831_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190226-092831_Gallery.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot_20190226-092813_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190226-092813_Gallery.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 42

ECU_Pirate

Banned
When I saw the kayak launch the first thing I thought was how is it going to survive when the water gets high?? Apparently no one involved with it ever had that thought.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
There is really no way to build a pier or anything along the main river that will last. If your going to really put a decent launch in on the main river you have to dig out into the bank and put up bulkheads so that it is protected from the main current. everything else is a half tail solution that will end up costing more money to constantly replace and repair.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
There is really no way to build a pier or anything along the main river that will last. If your going to really put a decent launch in on the main river you have to dig out into the bank and put up bulkheads so that it is protected from the main current. everything else is a half tail solution that will end up costing more money to constantly replace and repair.

Rivers going two feet higher by Sunday. I will be surprised if they dont have to replace that kayak launch.

Next stupid question is could I fish the flooded parking lot and stand any chance of catching a shad or will they stay in the main current?

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
that would be an interesting test,,,,

No bites in the slack water over the parking lot. The water was within 18 inches of going over the sidewalk so I fished the main river for a few minutes but flow was ripping and no bites there either. I tried the current break but got hung on some bushes they landscaped there when they put the kayak launch in and lost my rig.

Not sure then kayak launch will survive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190228-100603_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190228-100603_Gallery.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20190228-100551_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20190228-100551_Gallery.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 32