Several bears missing a front leg in WNC

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, they used to blame that crap on dog hunters which couldn’t be farther from the truth. They used to call it gimping saying dog hunters shot off their foot so they couldn’t climb. The last thing a dog hunter wants is one that can’t climb.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
Ironic thing is that it appears the folks blaming everyone else for damaging those bears are the ones actually doing it. If they'd stop making food available to them, or purposely feeding them, they'd stop being hit by vehicles, and stop being injured.
Joe

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Was gonna say, "I've been hearing about that around here.", but that picture is of the one photographed here. Several people claiming to have seen different ones around Ashe.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I was getting ready to ask on the city bear thread if the nut jobs out there were still rung up about someone trapping bears.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Ironic thing is that it appears the folks blaming everyone else for damaging those bears are the ones actually doing it. If they'd stop making food available to them, or purposely feeding them, they'd stop being hit by vehicles, and stop being injured.
Joe

walked by a fatty yesterday feeding white bread to some mallards near the retention pond in her neighborhood. She said they were in her garage and she had to get them out.

All I could think when I told her, "you'll never get rid of them now" was 'you don't own a broom?'

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
sounds like some folks I know on all kinds of subjects,,,, the ol' I don't study like you do, but I know more than you syndrome,,,all about agendas,,,,,

Yet, Beckworth is hesitant to agree with Olfenbuttel’s explanation that this quantity of bears with missing legs identified by Help Asheville Bears is because of car collisions. While he does not study bears as specifically as Olfenbuttel does, he has doubts and theorizes that only losing the lower portion of a leg would be unlikely.

6mm250

Eight Pointer
City people with armchair theories.

In what instance has anyone found a snare or leghold trap set up in the woods ? when ? where ?

Mike

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
OK. IM GONNA ALL CAPS THIS.

IVE EMAILED THE “HELP ASHEVILLE BEARS” PEOPLE ASKING THEM TO COME TALK TO ME. I OFFERED TO BUY THE BEER.

CRICKETS.

THEY ARE SO CONVINCED ITS EVIL HUNTERS MAMING THE BEARS!!!!!

ITS THEIR GD DECORATIVE FENCES AND BIRD FEEDERS AND DOG CAGES AND CHICKEN COOPS AND FENCELINES THAT THESE BEARS GET STUCK IN AND LOSE THEIR LIMBS.

NOT TO MENTION THEY CONSTANTLY STICK THEIR HANDS IN PLACES WHERE THEY GET BITTEN BY SNAKES AND STUNG BY SHITLOADS OF BEES. CAUSING INFECTION AND LIMB LOSS LIKE ANY OTHER MAMMAL.

NOT TO FORGET!!! ROCKFALLS AND BOULDER FIELDS AND CREEK CROSSINGS THAT THEY BREAK ANKLES IN WHILE TRAVERSING LIKE ME AND YOU!!!

I REALLY WISH WLOS AND WNCW WOULD DROP THEIR SPONSORSHIPS AND ADVERTS. ITS SUPER MISLEADING.

WHAT THE LITERAL EFF???!?!?

IF ANYONE KNOWS ANYONE WITH THE HAB PEOPLE, PM ME.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
sounds like some folks I know on all kinds of subjects,,,, the ol' I don't study like you do, but I know more than you syndrome,,,all about agendas,,,,,

Yet, Beckworth is hesitant to agree with Olfenbuttel’s explanation that this quantity of bears with missing legs identified by Help Asheville Bears is because of car collisions. While he does not study bears as specifically as Olfenbuttel does, he has doubts and theorizes that only losing the lower portion of a leg would be unlikely.
Yeah I took note of that part too. “Has doubts, and theorizes.” Emotion over intellect strikes again

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Yeah, they used to blame that crap on dog hunters which couldn’t be farther from the truth. They used to call it gimping saying dog hunters shot off their foot so they couldn’t climb. The last thing a dog hunter wants is one that can’t climb.
I was thinking that too Tim. Last year I hunted a lot and never once heard someone say “man I sure am glad that mean a$$ bear never trees and decided to stay on the ground”

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
The craziest theory I've read so far from HAB is that poachers are taking a paw to sell on the Asian black market. :ROFLMAO: If the paws are that valuable, why wouldn't he sell all of them? What type of poacher wants an animal to live, when he can make 4x 💰as much by killing it? A sustainable poacher? Maybe he expects it to grow back, like a stone crab. Then he can re-harvest?🥴

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
The craziest theory I've read so far from HAB is that poachers are taking a paw to sell on the Asian black market. :ROFLMAO: If the paws are that valuable, why wouldn't he sell all of them? What type of poacher wants an animal to live, when he can make 4x 💰as much by killing it? A sustainable poacher? Maybe he expects it to grow back, like a stone crab. Then he can re-harvest?🥴
Lmfao the stone crab analogy is exactly what I was gonna reply with till I saw the end of your post . Rumor has it they’re supplementing the wet markets with bear paws cuz it’ll decrease the number of bat coronaviruses .

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
People need to get real in their thinking! Claiming it's trappers is nonsense!

In and around the populated areas of Asheville there is a house behind every tree. If someone is trapping bears there'd be 1,000 people who could hear it squalling to get loose!

Did anyone else see the picture of a 3-legged sow with triplets? One of the cubs had only 3 legs also!

I've seen tiny cubs with 3 legs, cats, dogs, groundhogs, and squirrels! It's the traffic..........along with some genetics!

Frostcat

Twelve Pointer
I think you all see this the same way I do. If bear paws are so valuable, why only take one? If this much illegal trapping is going on inside city limits wouldn't someone notice? If they had all that many tips, why no charges? I don't bear hunt but have a lot of friends that do. One told me about a bear they turned on that would not tree and killed most of their dogs. He said when they killed the bear it was missing a front paw. He said that was probably the reason it would not tree.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think you all see this the same way I do. If bear paws are so valuable, why only take one? If this much illegal trapping is going on inside city limits wouldn't someone notice? If they had all that many tips, why no charges? I don't bear hunt but have a lot of friends that do. One told me about a bear they turned on that would not tree and killed most of their dogs. He said when they killed the bear it was missing a front paw. He said that was probably the reason it would not tree.
Exactly, my question would be where does these people market these bear paws? Galls were the big things back when and of course there had to be a connection to market them. They wound up in the gut bucket when we were hunting.

My question is who in the hell is going to snare a damn bear and cut a paw of then release it, I don't think so.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
My question is who in the hell is going to snare a damn bear and cut a paw of then release it, I don't think so.
I thought everybody caught them so they could beat that arse with a broomstick then turn him loose so he could really fight ya with a sledgehammer handle! You gotta put knots on his head!!!!!! Ya can't be skeered either!!!!

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I thought everybody caught them so they could beat that arse with a broomstick then turn him loose so he could really fight ya with a sledgehammer handle! You gotta put knots on his head!!!!!! Ya can't be skeered either!!!!
I ain't skeert of much but I do have healthy respect for things. A bear isn't nothing but a big ole coon on steroids. I have grabbed a many a coon in my time, enough to know I ain't grabbing a bear by choice! :p

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
People need to get real in their thinking! Claiming it's trappers is nonsense!

In and around the populated areas of Asheville there is a house behind every tree. If someone is trapping bears there'd be 1,000 people who could hear it squalling to get loose!

Did anyone else see the picture of a 3-legged sow with triplets? One of the cubs had only 3 legs also!

I've seen tiny cubs with 3 legs, cats, dogs, groundhogs, and squirrels! It's the traffic..........along with some genetics!
People are so removed from the natural world that they think nature is what they see from their kitchen window or car windshield.