Set your DVR's tonight

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
So Space X is poised (along with NASA) to do a FULL SCALE launch of their Crew Dragon (with a dummy as payload {no monkeys aloud anymore}), from Earth, to the ISS, and then back down for a safe landing.

If successful, we could be looking at American Astronauts launched from American soil, THIS year!

I think the launch is set for 2:39 am (5+ hours from now).

I hope they pull it off, and get everything back they intended to.

I'm pretty sure if you don't record it, you can watch it online tomorrow, but you'll probably have some spoiler alerts trying to find it.

Unlike the last Falcon 9 launch, I will NOT be up live to converse about this one!

Best of luck Space X! I'd be on pins and needles if I worked there!

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Should be cool, they have a manikin in there. Hope they are successful. I have history with SpaceX launches. A stock I own(orbc) volunteered to be moved up on the launch schedule years ago, with their satellite load, after Space X's previous launch blew up on the pad. I remember how nervous I was, but it was successful. Has to be 100 times the stress when they put humans on board.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
So Space X is poised (along with NASA) to do a FULL SCALE launch of their Crew Dragon (with a dummy as payload {no monkeys aloud anymore}), from Earth, to the ISS, and then back down for a safe landing.

If successful, we could be looking at American Astronauts launched from American soil, THIS year!

I think the launch is set for 2:39 am (5+ hours from now).

I hope they pull it off, and get everything back they intended to.

I'm pretty sure if you don't record it, you can watch it online tomorrow, but you'll probably have some spoiler alerts trying to find it.

Unlike the last Falcon 9 launch, I will NOT be up live to converse about this one!

Best of luck Space X! I'd be on pins and needles if I worked there!

I will be at work but wont be able to watch it live but I will track it.....the Falcon 9 is rock solid a failure tonight would be shocking...there is a little weather down there but it should clear out hopefully.....

They named the dummy Ripley......good feed to follow if your a space buff https://twitter.com/SpaceX

Wonder how many G's they would pull doing a emergency abort...

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
I will be at work but wont be able to watch it live but I will track it.....the Falcon 9 is rock solid a failure tonight would be shocking...there is a little weather down there but it should clear out hopefully.....

They named the dummy Ripley......good feed to follow if your a space buff https://twitter.com/SpaceX

I believe that IF they pass this test, the NEXT test is to do an abort, and IF they pass that test (with Ripley on board) they get the green light for live human passengers.

Ambush

Twelve Pointer

That’s crazy. So many G’s you most likely wouldn’t remember the abort.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
That’s crazy. So many G’s you most likely wouldn’t remember the abort.

The Russians actually had a failure last year the resulted in this actually happening, the system worked like a charm and safely got the crew back the ground, a issue occurred at booster separation, looked like a rough ride....skip to 2:20

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
No matter how many times I see it I am still blown away that they can land the first stage on a "postage stamp" sized barge bobbing around in the middle of the ocean after it falls back to Earth from 80-100 miles up....

Wv67

Ten Pointer
Might just be a dumb hillbilly thing , but I wonder why we do this what benefit is it , kinda like tracking sharks and such what’s the point ??

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
boy, I hope some of you weren't around in the 60s or early 70s,,,,you'd a been drags on teh Apollo missions,,,,I LOVED them as a kid,,,,

man is an explorer,,,,uncharted areas have always drawn the free willed,,,space is one of the next uncharted areas to explore,,,,so strong men / women will explore it

to do that you need rockets and space travel

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sure could start punching a hole in the deficit with what we spend playing around in space......... with absolutely no return on investment ......other than satisfied curiosity.......

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Sure could start punching a hole in the deficit with what we spend playing around in space......... with absolutely no return on investment ......other than satisfied curiosity.......

That’s not entirely true. There have been plenty of inventions and innovations due to space travel.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NASA_spinoff_technologies

I’m not saying it’s the best ROI but these technologies coupled with getting kids excited about science and exploration plus making sure the US controls space means I’m not as opposed to this program as I am to other ones.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I’m just waiting for the spin off tech off high speed coast to coast commutes. The days wasted traveling get old

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
There are also significant military benefits to space exploration and rocketry. We are likely speaking Russian today if we hadn't engaged in and won the space race.

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
I’m just waiting for the spin off tech off high speed coast to coast commutes. The days wasted traveling get old

Several companies that are building the next generation biz jets are building planes with a top end around Mach 1.5-2 so around 1500-1800 MPH....that would be LA to NY in about 2-3 hrs tops. NY to London in 3.5-4 going east 4-4.5 coming west. Those will be flying in the next year or two.

Boeing., Lockheed etc have all designed supersonic passenger aircraft but the market just isnt there to make them worth while its why AF/BA stopped the Concorde.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Yeah that was what I heard the justification was for Space X being commercially viable though sounds like government(tax payer) funds might do that. Don’t know details but all the development work must be pricey

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Soyuz launch today sending 3 people to the ISS, this is what the Dragon will allow the US to do......one of the people who went up today is Christina Koch a NC native from Jacksonville NC....