Semiauto hunting rifles

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have a 7400 Remington in .270 Win. Shoots great most of the time, groups really good moa at 300 yards with 130 gr. Winchester Extreme Points. If it gets hot, above 80*F, it may jam. Sometimes, the extractor rips the ream off. I keep tools with me to handle that. But it always fires the first round. šŸ˜€ I use it dog hunting for deer. Well, I have thought about a different rifle. I have considered an AR 15 on a 6.5 Grendel build. Light recoil, plenty of punch and trajectory to 300 yards. Maybe an AR 10 in 308 or even a Browning MK3 DBM. I really like how the MK3 DBM feels in my hands. Maybe a BAR of some sort in .270 Win or 300 Win. Mag. Then I think why not just a bolt gun, then just use one I already have. Maybe even one of my levers. Heck, then again the 7400 works. Any how what do y'all think about my semiauto choices. Nope, can't do 6.5 CM, sorry just can't.

Last edited:

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
When was the last time the chamber was really cleaned? And checked with a bore scope? I've stll got a 742 here waiting for the guy to pick up. It was rough and would not eject a shell. Found out that the clip in the front of the bolt was broken. In my research I learned that, according to articles, the main reason for the rifle jamming/not ejecting, ripping the rim off the casing was because of a dirty chamber. When I looked inside this one it was obvious that it had never been cleaned. A very pronounced carbon ring up front and a bunch of junk and corrosion in the rest of the chamber. Take a look at it and start with a rag soaked in Kroil for a couple of days. Scrub it good and see what it looks like afterward. A carbon ring that has been building for a while will be more difficult to get out. Good luck.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
When was the last time the chamber was really cleaned? And checked with a bore scope? I've stll got a 742 here waiting for the guy to pick up. It was rough and would not eject a shell. Found out that the clip in the front of the bolt was broken. In my research I learned that, according to articles, the main reason for the rifle jamming/not ejecting, ripping the rim off the casing was because of a dirty chamber. When I looked inside this one it was obvious that it had never been cleaned. A very pronounced carbon ring up front and a bunch of junk and corrosion in the rest of the chamber. Take a look at it and start with a rag soaked in Kroil for a couple of days. Scrub it good and see what it looks like afterward. A carbon ring that has been building for a while will be more difficult to get out. Good luck.
Thanks for the advice. I have been considering breaking the rifle down so I can give it a good cleaning.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Try as a might I just can't get on the AR bandwagon. When I had a 7400 I had to very very lightly lube the cases to keep it from jamming. Just a few drops of gun oil on a rag and wipe each case as you load it in the mag. I sent it back to Remington and they replaced the barrel assembly but it was no better.
Get a BAR, you'll be glad you did.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Try as a might I just can't get on the AR bandwagon. When I had a 7400 I had to very very lightly lube the cases to keep it from jamming. Just a few drops of gun oil on a rag and wipe each case as you load it in the mag. I sent it back to Remington and they replaced the barrel assembly but it was no better.
Get a BAR, you'll be glad you did.
Me either, I have a RR and it is a great shooter, but they just aren't my cup of tea. Now a BAR that is a whole nuther ballgame. As for a semi, they are my favorite.

klim

Twelve Pointer
I bought a Browning Bar Safari in 270 the year before last but, finally got it to the range a couple days before the season went out this year. I've mainly hunted with bolt guns but, the bar has been a dream to shoot. Not a heavy rifle well balanced, trigger has a smooth break a 4 pounds, no kick at all, accurate as all get out. This is with 130 grain Federal Fusion at 100 yards.
1674856806786.png

Buffet Trout

Twelve Pointer
Iā€™ve run a quite a few deer in front of dogs, and a bolt action is quite adequate. 90%+ of the time, youā€™ll never get an accurate second shot, regardless of the action type. You get at most 3 mississippis and then heā€™s moved on.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Prior to the boating accident I had an ar10 thatā€™s a one-holer. It used to shoot 6ā€ 20, yes 20 round groups at 600yards. All with an swfa 3x9. I hand load for it also. I thought it was gonna be an adventure but it was cake to find loads.

Fwiw I hunt (ed lol) with it but itā€™s no dog gun. Waaaay to heavy.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bought a Browning Bar Safari in 270 the year before last but, finally got it to the range a couple days before the season went out this year. I've mainly hunted with bolt guns but, the bar has been a dream to shoot. Not a heavy rifle well balanced, trigger has a smooth break a 4 pounds, no kick at all, accurate as all get out. This is with 130 grain Federal Fusion at 100 yards.
View attachment 109544
One of my ā€œbucket listā€ rifles is a BAR in .270 Weatherby Magnum. Just an itch I wanna scratch

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
View attachment 109544
Iā€™ve only shot one. And it was bad arse.

klim

Twelve Pointer
One of my ā€œbucket listā€ rifles is a BAR in .270 Weatherby Magnum. Just an itch I wanna scratch
The one I have had been on my bucket list since I was about 14 years old. A friend of my dads had one in 270 Winchester, he let me hold it and it was all over with then. I honestly thought I would never be able to afford or own one but late never late than never I guess. Iā€™ve always wanted one in 280 Remington but Iā€™ve only ever seen one of those in person and actually held the gun but my Winchester Model 70 featherweight in 280 Remington cured that itch.