Semi-Live Squirrel Season Thread

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
They were working the hickories and white oaks today. About half taken on the ground and half in the trees. Great temps this morning, got hot and stifling this afternoon with the misquotes. Thermacell helped.

Closest shot 12 yards, furtherest probably 35 yards. First limit on opening week in a while.

44712b9e18ebf935bcabf0a86652938e.jpg

ebe6f6efd52d3265bdbb6d63c8ee2904.jpg

f5d323592148be52c76dd6fe670727d2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell us about that gun rig. I likey

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
Tell us about that gun rig. I likey

It’s one of the most accurate CZ 455’s I’ve ever fired. I’m running Eley Edge which has sadly been discontinued. Scope is a Vortex Strike Eagle 6-24, bit chunky but great holdovers if you want to range out. Ruger Silent SR can, good components no first round pop. I believe that about covers it.

Here’s a 10 shot group at 50 yards after a leade scrub and dry bore swab. First shot was low which is expected after a clean.
736ce02f80cc36327caf54cc122d029b.jpg

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
It’s one of the most accurate CZ 455’s I’ve ever fired. I’m running Eley Edge which has sadly been discontinued. Scope is a Vortex Strike Eagle 6-24, bit chunky but great holdovers if you want to range out. Ruger Silent SR can, good components no first round pop. I believe that about covers it.

Here’s a 10 shot group at 50 yards after a leade scrub and dry bore swab. First shot was low which is expected after a clean.
736ce02f80cc36327caf54cc122d029b.jpg

7E29B60D-36BF-42AC-84AE-FB3623548184.jpeg
This is how I feel. Jealous.
Nate is my squirrel hunter spirit animal.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Of course I was looking a turkey, but yesterday morn was perfect for skirling...no idea how many I slipped up on. Leaves were damp enough to be quiet, but dry enough to give them away, and plenty of shadows to stay in(y)

Lee

Six Pointer
Nate,
I see the Eley Edge is a flat nose bullet. Does the flat nose play a part in your selection or is it all about accuracy?

My new CZ 457 likes SK Match ammo, but after Saturday I probably wouldn't hunt with it again. I made a couple of 50 yard shots and was disappointed in the result. I had to follow up with a second shot to get them to fall. That doesn't happen with CCI Mini Mag Hp's. Then again I don't shoot at 50 yards with CCI.

I want to try Eley subsonic Hp's, but all I can find online for sale is a 500 round brick for $99. That's a lot of ammo if my particular rifle doesn't like it.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
Nate,
I see the Eley Edge is a flat nose bullet. Does the flat nose play a part in your selection or is it all about accuracy?

My new CZ 457 likes SK Match ammo, but after Saturday I probably wouldn't hunt with it again. I made a couple of 50 yard shots and was disappointed in the result. I had to follow up with a second shot to get them to fall. That doesn't happen with CCI Mini Mag Hp's. Then again I don't shoot at 50 yards with CCI.

I want to try Eley subsonic Hp's, but all I can find online for sale is a 500 round brick for $99. That's a lot of ammo if my particular rifle doesn't like it.

This is the question we are always trying to solve as squirrel hunters. I need the most accurate, lethal, quiet, ammo I can get. Seems manufacturers are turning their sights towards the NRL and PRL long range rimfire games. I want the accuracy but I need an HP or a meplat flat nose projectile.

To answer the question, yes the flat nose does play a role in why I picked Edge along with its accuracy potential. Next up in Eley’s line up would be Team that carries the same flat nose EPS. That’s their terminology for the bullet shape.

I’ll also agree that cci mini mags don’t group well for me at 50 yards either.

Two routes you can go:

Try Sk flat nose match or

If you have a reloading press get a Neal Waltz die so you can hollow point or flat nose your own ammo.

The die is fantastic and I use it for Sk standard plus to add a HP for better results and less crawl off.

Whatever you do, DO NOT I repeat DO NOT order Eley Subsonic White Box ammo!!! It does not shoot like the green box Eley subs of old. There’s not another HP subsonic round on the market that is accurate enough to match that of old green box Eley subs. It’s quite unfortunate.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
Thanks Nate! You just saved me $100

That $100 would be better spent on higher quality ammo such as the Sk flat nose match or Sk pistol match. CZ’s tend to favor Lapua/sk ammo since they are manufactured by the same outfit.

For the Eley line the baseline for me now is Eley Team. I really hate Eley removed the lot analyzer tool from their site. It came in handy lots of times.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This is the question we are always trying to solve as squirrel hunters. I need the most accurate, lethal, quiet, ammo I can get. Seems manufacturers are turning their sights towards the NRL and PRL long range rimfire games. I want the accuracy but I need an HP or a meplat flat nose projectile.

To answer the question, yes the flat nose does play a role in why I picked Edge along with its accuracy potential. Next up in Eley’s line up would be Team that carries the same flat nose EPS. That’s their terminology for the bullet shape.

Two routes you can go:

If you have a reloading press get a Neal Waltz die so you can hollow point or flat nose your own ammo.

The die is fantastic and I use it for Sk standard plus to add a HP for better results and less crawl off.

Whatever you do, DO NOT I repeat DO NOT order Eley Subsonic White Box ammo!!! It does not shoot like the green box Eley subs of old. There’s not another HP subsonic round on the market that is accurate enough to match that of old green box Eley subs. It’s quite unfortunate.

I may be way off base but hasn't Eley been bought out since they were producing the old green box ammo? I used to shoot it and It was absolutely the best stuff out there in that price range for years. Then it was gone, when they came back out with the white box I was elated and proceeded to buy a case and upon shooting just a few rounds sick. I believe I did a little checking at the time and found out that they had been bought out, or so my feeble memory is telling me that was the case.

Natebonebusta

Eight Pointer
I may be way off base but hasn't Eley been bought out since they were producing the old green box ammo? I used to shoot it and It was absolutely the best stuff out there in that price range for years. Then it was gone, when they came back out with the white box I was elated and proceeded to buy a case and upon shooting just a few rounds sick. I believe I did a little checking at the time and found out that they had been bought out, or so my feeble memory is telling me that was the case.

You could be right. I don’t really know if they are owned by a conglomerate or they are still the original company.

Sick certainly describes the feeling after shooting white box Eley subs. I honestly can’t believe they let them out of the factory as bad as lack of accuracy I’ve experienced.

At best it’s steel plinking ammo. Such a shame. I mentioned the lack of accuracy in last years video, and have hunted twice this year and already mentioned it in this years video….

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Two routes you can go:

Makes me glad I still have a case and a half of the old green Eley subs. I hadn’t tried the white box, I won’t now.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
This Pic does not do this one justice...the other side of the tail is bright red....really bright red.
weight 2.25 lbs...bout average

Last edited:

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I slid out Wednesday. Missed one twice to start. Killed a nice one, then the wind got up and I headed home.

They are starting to hit the corn again here at the house so ill be getting ready to clean off some deer feeders before rifle season comes in.

GobblinNC

Four Pointer
Went out last Saturday Fox Squirrel hunting. Only the 2nd time i’ve tried it. A beautiful day of hard hunting netted 2 of the 4 squirrels our group was allowed. I was fortunate to harvest this black one.

Attachments

• 3E30B810-8A59-4DF1-9E9E-5CA8EA6A8D59.jpeg
    3E30B810-8A59-4DF1-9E9E-5CA8EA6A8D59.jpeg
    253.8 KB · Views: 35

Gunny2professor

Six Pointer
Figured I would take a shot at a few of those squirrels that make so much Noise when I'm deer hunting. Got one so far.

Attachments

• 16035501183108460795096281660170.jpg
    16035501183108460795096281660170.jpg
    306.7 KB · Views: 17

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Just got back from a 3 day hunt in Ohio.
The dog worked flawlessly, but the squirrels were wild in the trees. Still a bit too leafy and nuts still in the trees made it challenging. My dog did tree 3 in one tree !!
It did appear that like deer, the rats had their preferred tree to feed on. Never seen that much mast in my life....
Very hot the first 2 days but we scratched out a couple.

C73D7033-B263-463B-B7FB-6A04F32D6647.jpeg5F228BCC-EC4A-4423-BA34-BB8DFEC4AA39.jpegBE6C072C-3B46-42AA-9BEF-FAAF3FB61968.jpeg

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Just got back from a 3 day hunt in Ohio.
The dog worked flawlessly, but the squirrels were wild in the trees. Still a bit too leafy and nuts still in the trees made it challenging. My dog did tree 3 in one tree !!
It did appear that like deer, the rats had their preferred tree to feed on. Never seen that much mast in my life....
Very hot the first 2 days but we scratched out a couple.

View attachment 53274View attachment 53272View attachment 53273
Good times weather was way to warm for time of year. But good eating good friends and good dog make up for it

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Out on Nuese River Gamelands in Craven. Brought my Boykin with me to get him some exercise since ducks aren’t in season at the moment. He doesn’t really know what he’s doing with squirrels, but he recognizes fresh game scent when he smells it and will circle the tree and jump on it if he smells a squirrel. He’s the only reason I found this one.

Attachments

• E4191182-F061-48E4-8651-6E722EDA04B4.jpeg
    E4191182-F061-48E4-8651-6E722EDA04B4.jpeg
    351.6 KB · Views: 25

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Went yesterday afternoon on game land to squirrel hunt, but it was too windy. Got to enjoy just being in the woods and checking out a new spot to hunt.

I also bumped a turkey! I was sitting under a beech tree and could hear something walking through the leaves somewhere behind me. I thought it might be a person, so I turned my head to look. I didn't see anything, but I did hear it moving away through the leaves and then I heard that "put" alarm call shortly after.

Then it was quiet again. I was not expecting for there to be a turkey in my vicinity! Very cool surprise! :D

ncnat

Ten Pointer
Went yesterday afternoon on game land to squirrel hunt, but it was too windy. Got to enjoy just being in the woods and checking out a new spot to hunt.

I also bumped a turkey! I was sitting under a beech tree and could hear something walking through the leaves somewhere behind me. I thought it might be a person, so I turned my head to look. I didn't see anything, but I did hear it moving away through the leaves and then I heard that "put" alarm call shortly after.

Then it was quiet again. I was not expecting for there to be a turkey in my vicinity! Very cool surprise! :D
I went yesterday morning and killed 4. Head shots was tough with the tree tops are moving 6 feet and why I didn't go back yesterday afternoon.