Seize the Choke

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I have been refurbishing my Dad’s Monkey Ward 16 gauge that he always talks about, it has been unused for a long time because barrel was unbelievably neglected and rusted. It has the poly or combi choke (whichever you prefer to call it) which I had to soak in Kroil to break free. I got to thinking how I use anti seize on my inline breech plug so I plan to use something for the choke to prevent it from seizing again.

I’ve always just used oil on my screw in chokes without a problem because it’s an internal thread and I didn’t want something that leaves such a hard to clean greasy film. The external and adjustable nature of a poly choke leaves me pondering that I want an anti seize or grease and not oil. Am I correct in this thought?

Share your preferred product.

Sorry no before pics but I can best describe it as the color of cardboard 😳

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
we always just gave it a drop or two of gun oil when we were done cleaning. Never had a problem with them getting excessively greasy.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
we always just gave it a drop or two of gun oil when we were done cleaning. Never had a problem with them getting excessively greasy.

The greasiness I was referring to was from anti seize and not gun oil. Which is why I don’t like using it on my internal threads but it’s highly suggested on muzzleloader for easy removal of breech plug... or so I’m told.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Now that it's free and clean keep it that way and use gun oil on the threads.

I should note this gun will likely continue to see infrequent use. Another reason why I was leaning to anti seize.

I’m all for just gun oil as simple does keep things uncomplicated. Oil does dry out eventually.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I should note this gun will likely continue to see infrequent use. Another reason why I was leaning to anti seize.

I’m all for just gun oil as simple does keep things uncomplicated. Oil does dry out eventually.

If that's the case I would use a very small amount of anti-seize. That stuff gets on everything otherwise.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The greasiness I was referring to was from anti seize and not gun oil. Which is why I don’t like using it on my internal threads but it’s highly suggested on muzzleloader for easy removal of breech plug... or so I’m told.
I use a silicon grease on my ML breechplug, it doesn't get all over everything like never seize does. I do use neverseize on tight threaded parts I may want to take apart and are exposed to lots of pressure, ie.. gun barrels.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
As mentioned above, a small amount of neverseize will do you right. However, cleaning it up properly and using super lube (or quality) choke tube grease works great too. Small amount goes a long ways.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have muller chokes. The inventer said use axle grease on his to prevent seizing and also keep them from loosening. I would use some thick grease on it.