Seeing lots of Ruby Kinglets this Fall

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I love to torture myself trying to get photos of small fast birds, and these little Ruby-crowned Kinglets are almost as bad as hummingbirds to photograph!
Been trying for a couple of years now to get one to bow his head & show his crest, and today, one obliged. (Apologies for the focus and grain, I had to crop the heck out of these two pics.....)

BarSinister

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the unsolicited bird ID.

A few weeks ago I was sitting in my stand and these little buggers were flying all over the place across the trail. I thought they were some type of hummingbird at 1st as I couldn't get a good look at them and it was in the 20's. Cool looking little birds for sure.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks for the unsolicited bird ID.

A few weeks ago I was sitting in my stand and these little buggers were flying all over the place across the trail. I thought they were some type of hummingbird at 1st as I couldn't get a good look at them and it was in the 20's. Cool looking little birds for sure.

We've always had a few around, but this year seems to be an especially good year for seeing them; I'm spotting them every time I'm outside. I'm also seeing Kinglets with a yellow spot instead of red in their crown.

Panthera

Eight Pointer
You may be seeing the similar golden crowned kinglit. I saw one yesterday.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I love to torture myself trying to get photos of small fast birds, and these little Ruby-crowned Kinglets are almost as bad as hummingbirds to photograph!
Been trying for a couple of years now to get one to bow his head & show his crest, and today, one obliged. (Apologies for the focus and grain, I had to crop the heck out of these two pics.....)

View attachment 38050View attachment 38051
Just seeing this...good catch !