Security systems

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
I've had ADT at my dad's farm...bad area and if you have seen my past posts you know I have the need..and am looking to possibly change companies. Had a break in and a motion detector didn't pick it up. ADT supervisor said maybe someone threw a rock through the window. Told the guy I guess the rock opened the garage door and stole the lawn mower. Didn't appreciate that. Another break-in and the call was not made to the SO office. I had to place the call. Cost started at $43 a month and it's to $60+. I've read past threads here about alarm systems, but still have a few questions. I've read that SimpliSafe uses older technology. True? Does it really matter? More importantly, anyone have any complaints concerning SimpliSafe? Thanks in advance.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I had Protection 1 for six years, and this month, I changed to Ring by Amazon. I started by asking P1 about upgrading the hardware, my cameras were 720, etc. P1 is all self-install with limited selection of sensors. Their parent is ADT, and yes, they keep going up and up. ADT is professional install with a long contract, 39-60 months. And there is no automatic out if you move!

I didn’t want to go to Ring because there is a lot of stuff on the Internet about Ring’s privacy. They used to turn your video over to police upon request, without your knowledge or permission and without a warrant. However, their current FAQ states that they won’t do that.

Ring’s technology is fantastic. The hardware practically installs itself, guiding you every step. I had no technical problems at all. The cameras are really good. The floodlight provides a “birds eye” view that merges aerial imagery and a dot that shows you where the guy is on your property. They can distinguish between small animals and a person. The options and the number of ways you can configure it is very broad. The hardware was $900 with a veteran’s discount where ADT wanted $1400 for less. Ring doesn’t have a contract, and the Pro level service is $20 a month or $200 if you pay a whole year up front.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I am currently running a Blink system, and so far am satisfied. Have friends that have been using that for years and are happy with it, but as a new system for me, I can't recommend or not. Time will tell. I do like the option of having or not having/paying for cloud storage, so I installed a 1TB flash drive for recordings. The system still notifies me of any motion detected within seconds and I can view it anywhere, as it is connected via wifi. all cameras are wireless and I could lose the notification, but it will still record unless all the power goes out.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I've had SimpliSafe for several years and absolutely no complaints. I just upgraded to their Gen 3 and added outdoor cameras, [see my post in the classified]. Monthly service is $27.99, they just went up two dollars for the first increase ever.

I have never dealt with any company that had customer service equal to SimpliSafe. If you call the "help line" someone actually answers and can speak English. They will walk you through any question or issue step by step.

Highly recommend.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
X 2 Zach’s Grandpa. Great company and great customer service. The system uses a cell card so be sure to tell the rep which cell company has the best service in your area.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
X 2 Zach’s Grandpa. Great company and great customer service. The system uses a cell card so be sure to tell the rep which cell company has the best service in your area.
The Gen 3 system is both cellular and internet as a backup source for overall security. My cameras transmit to the base via my router and then to SimpliSafe via the internet for faster download.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I don’t have a actual security system service but I was using cell trail cameras to monitor my stuff that is not at my house. I switched to Arlo Go 2 cellular security cameras and love it. Getting ready to switch all the cameras at my house to Arlo so I can access it all from my phone.