Second banded bird

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
So I've been duck hunting since around the mid 90's. I probably average around 10 or so birds per season, mostly puddles, less than 10% divers. Five or so years ago I shot my first banded bird, a drake woodie tagged in NW Ohio. Today, I shot my second, a drake Mallard tagged in Jamestown, Pa. Both tagged about 9 months before I shot them. Based on my results, 2 bands in about 200 birds. A simple google search suggests like I've been a bit on the lucky side, kind of curious about the rest of you.

Johnnie

gnorris74

Spike
Been at it since the early 2000’s. I’d say I average 10-15 birds a year, mostly geese though, zero bands. I’d say you’re doing alright with your two. But I bet if I hunted back home in MD more my count would go up a bit.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I have not shot a banded bird in many years. I had a 3-4 year period I was shooting 3-4 a year. Actually got 3 in one hunt, 2 greenheads and a hen. All banded at the same time same place.
Other than those few years I had the Golden Horseshoe up my butt I rarely see guys killing them.
I hunt with some down east that kill close to a 1000 birds per year. Even they only see maybe 1 a year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
4 banded birds in 24 years, one was double banded. Saw 8 other bands get killed but just not my luck of the draw, whether it was someone else's shot or it was on their side. One of those was a group draw, wasn't sure who killed it but I wasn't lucky enough to win it. Know guys that seem to get one every season...watched a lot of birds get killed and 12 of em had bands

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Depending on the day and if early season where i am we could get a band every day, not sure if anyone has ever got a Jack Miner band, but used to live down the road from the sanctuary and now just a bit further away.
I haven't been for birds in several years, that work thing got in the way, but hope to get back into it, was always a fun time in the marsh

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
I hunt with some down east that kill close to a 1000 birds per year. Even they only see maybe 1 a year.

Thats a lot of birds for a 60 day season with a 6 bird limit.

Not really. 10-12 guys in the club. On average 3/4 will bring a guest on the weekends. They all have kids that are hunting now and these guys hunt a LOT. between their 3 impounds and numerous open water blinds it’s not hard to scratch out a limit most days.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
Look at it this way. 20 hunters shooting a limit in 1 day(not going to happen every time but let’s just say) and your over 1/10 the way there.

Neverfail

Spike
30 goose leg bands and 10 goose neck collars (I’m showing my age). 10 duck bands with 1 double money band worth $50. All over a 40 year waterfowl life and still going strong. All the banded birds were shot in NJ. I moved down here about 2 years ago and I’m still trying to find the birds. LOL

Hydemarsh

Six Pointer
Quack man, very few clubs down east consistently kill limits. things have just changed, we used to consistently kill a lot of birds but that changed 5 years ago. Many of my friends have had the same experience. Some years an impoundment will be hot and the following few years not so much. 60 birds per impoundment is a "lot" these days. A few do it but it is certainly not the rule.

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
This is going to be a tough year for sure. From my understanding lots of crop damage in impounds from the storms.
I think most with impounds will be in the same boat. Come January there will not be much food left.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Don’t feel bad. If you’re a life long NC hunter and don’t hunt within the vincity of an area where they band (or used to” birds, you’re band count will probably not be much. I’ve been at it going on 52 years and only have 8 duck and 2 goose bands. And not bragging but I’ve taken several K’s birds locally during that time. Mallards, blacks and a widgeon are the banded birds, yet can’t seem to scratch out a teal which has been our prevelant bird for quite some time. I know a guy who grew up near Mattamuskeet in the old days and his lanyard is slam full of bands from the days they banded birds on the Refuge.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
30 goose leg bands and 10 goose neck collars (I’m showing my age). 10 duck bands with 1 double money band worth $50. All over a 40 year waterfowl life and still going strong. All the banded birds were shot in NJ. I moved down here about 2 years ago and I’m still trying to find the birds. LOL
Reminds me of re-learning curve I had for deer hunting when I moved here from upstate NY. Even without bait I killed deer annually with a bow up there. Took me a couple years to kill one with a gun down here! Now I kill at least 1 every year. Both situations on public land, but geez...

So hang in there, although relearning curve on waterfowl could be longer than deer.

I could imagine the re

kahunter

Eight Pointer
We have consolidated all of our bands that are shot out of our spot. We are close to 40 bands for the last 11 years, mostly woodies with a few teal and ringnecks mixed in. Wood duck bands seem to be less common as we averaged 4 or 5 for a while and now only get 1 or 2 a year. I probably have 10 other good bird bands from currituck and other spots and a bunch of NCWRC bands from college.