Seasons set

kahunter

Eight Pointer
October 2 – October 5, 2019,

November 16 – December 2, 2019,

December 14, 2019 – January 31, 2020

- Season closed on black ducks and mottled ducks until November 23

Not too happy about a shorter november season. That was a bad call.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
they went ahead with that veteran's hunts,,,,I asked them how they were gonna make folks prove they were a veteran? Carry your DD214 around?

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
The teachers will be getting some Saturdays before it’s over. It’s going to be very difficult to prove a veteran vs non. Can a game warden charge someone with “stolen valor”?

Gus

Six Pointer
October 2 – October 5, 2019,

November 16 – December 2, 2019,

December 14, 2019 – January 31, 2020

- Season closed on black ducks and mottled ducks until November 23

Not too happy about a shorter november season. That was a bad call.

Yep. Stupid move.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
The teachers will be getting some Saturdays before it’s over. It’s going to be very difficult to prove a veteran vs non. Can a game warden charge someone with “stolen valor”?
Can't a game warden charge anything any other LEO can? I met one that arrested a guy for homicide (in MIchigan.)

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer

It will be simple to tell if they are a vet or not. You either have the credentials (DD214 or veteran drivers license) or you don’t. Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
It will be simple to tell if they are a vet or not. You either have the credentials (DD214 or veteran drivers license) or you don’t. Pretty cut and dry if you ask me.

Im aware that along with most things it is possible to prove/disprove with documents. But then you have folks with fake DD214s, the stolen valor issue has been a large one in recent years. Will the wardens be trained in identification of fake documents or will hunters have to submit prior to season and be registered through NCWRC? Seems like a rabbit hole of sorts.

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Can't a game warden charge anything any other LEO can? I met one that arrested a guy for homicide (in MIchigan.)
Yep they are state law enforcement officers and as such can enforce any state, county, and local law and many federal as well. They also generally have more constitutional latitude for search if they believe you are or have been fishing, hunting, trapping, etc... A friend now retired from NCWRC in Northern Wake Co, Parts of Franklin and Granville said almost 1/3 of his court cases were for non wildlife issues DWI, Drugs, trespass, theft, etc..

@Inshore duck As far as the "fake" DD214 for a veteran hunt you have the same issue with fake DLs, and fake NCWRC licenses so it kind-of goes with the territory when they check people in remote locations Motorola is your friend. Seems like to me the logical route would be an Endorsement of Veteran on either on the Lifetime card or present your DD214 to the wallyworld genius who prints out the annuals :cautious: I hope they do charge if they find someone that isn't a VET.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
Wildlife resources belong to everyone and should be treated as such. Dividing hunters into classes of "can and cant" based on age (now 17 year old's are "kids") or employment history (instead of veterans, most of whom spent their time "in the rear with the gear" why not include all federal employees?) is a road that should never have been taken. What about First Responders? Shouldn't they deserve a "special day" too? And what about the the LGBTQ community, just to make it "fair".

And as far as identifying these people, just add them to the annual license. Most of us get an annual card identifying who we are, updated HIP certification, address, age, etc. Just add the "special classes" to the list. "Lifetime Sportsmen, Veteran, EMT, Transgender, HIP certified. :ROFLMAO:

What started years ago as a program to get kids into the outdoors to hunt on a "special day" has now become nothing more than a political platform.

Inshore duck

Eight Pointer
Every group will want a seat at the dinner table before this is over that is the problem to which I was referring to earlier. Very difficult to justify including one group over another, and remember in our current society prior military service amounts to very little to an increasing number of individuals.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Not to throw another "group" into the hat, but I would be up for a seniors day. My dad is all for it and to be honest it seems like a good idea. If you are over 70 or 65 or whatever, you have a day like youth day and only you can shoot. Gets them a chance to get out without all us young ruffians messing up hunting. Like the good old days. My dad has been hunting over 60 years, still going strong and it would be cool to guide him and his buddies on a seniors day. Not that I dont do that most of the year anyways but its would be nice to say thank you to the guys who got most of us into hunting or paved the path.

I am all for LGBTQ etc day of hunting as well. Duck hunters will have never looked so good! :LOL:

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
And get rid of the cottonmouth season in October and add those days to the later seasons.

Or, better yet, make those early days the "I'm Special" season and let e'm have at it. :ROFLMAO:

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Hey the cottonmouth season is fun. Gotta step around the snakes to shoot the ducks. And in the right place you gotta fight the gators for your ducks. Makes it interesting. Separates the men from the boys

bag12day

Six Pointer
Contributor
Hey the cottonmouth season is fun. Gotta step around the snakes to shoot the ducks. And in the right place you gotta fight the gators for your ducks. Makes it interesting. Separates the men from the boys
Don't forget about the county bird of Hyde County... Skeeters. makes things interesting along with the snakes.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer

And once in awhile the men from their dogs. :ROFLMAO:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

should try teal season in Louisianna - talk about gator races!!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
As I understand it Congress passed the military member duck hunt into law.

If you are going to have special days for kids, why not other groups?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah, like basement hunters that hate youth hunters?

I don't hate youth hunters. I do hate special seasons though for any group.

Now parents are going to whine their kiddos have to share the waterfowl with military members.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't hate youth hunters. I do hate special seasons though for any group.

Now parents are going to whine their kiddos have to share the waterfowl with military members.
So since you are opposed to archery, muzzle loading, urban etc and all of those seasons why don't you lobby to abolish them? They are special seasons.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Uh the current deer biologist with the WRC wanted to get rid of the deer blackpowder season. I agreed.

Most hunters did not.

So there was that.

Any legal weapons seasons works for turkeys and bears.

Last edited:

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Wildlife resources belong to everyone and should be treated as such. Dividing hunters into classes of "can and cant" based on age (now 17 year old's are "kids") or employment history (instead of veterans, most of whom spent their time "in the rear with the gear" why not include all federal employees?) is a road that should never have been taken. What about First Responders? Shouldn't they deserve a "special day" too? And what about the the LGBTQ community, just to make it "fair".

And as far as identifying these people, just add them to the annual license. Most of us get an annual card identifying who we are, updated HIP certification, address, age, etc. Just add the "special classes" to the list. "Lifetime Sportsmen, Veteran, EMT, Transgender, HIP certified. :ROFLMAO:

What started years ago as a program to get kids into the outdoors to hunt on a "special day" has now become nothing more than a political platform.

Agree 100%

shurshot

Ten Pointer
I played baseball in college, missed a lot of opportunities because of fall/winter practice. I want compensatory days too!

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
two things,,,
  1. I do not agree with this whole "special day thing",,,,for kids, for veterans, for anything really,,,,and I am a veteran and I take kids every year,,
  2. secondly, comparing playing baseball or driving bus (standard or short) to military service is...well,,,,interesting insight

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns

I leave my wedding ring in my glove box when I hunt. I think the LGBTQ should get a special day. That way all the Flat-Brims have a day to themselves.

I'd even "self identify" as a Bear for a day in that case, if the scouting report was good. :LOL: