Season winding down

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Anyone got big plans for tomorrow? Was gonna take my boat on the Nuese but seeing as my truck is still in the shop it looks like I’ll be hitting up one of my woody holes again. Hoping the 2 veterans days will be good though.

Saw quite a few ducks yesterday and today before work, this cold front looks to have done us some good. Yesterday I hit one who folded up and then magically got his wings going again right before he hit the water. That was a first. Today I sailed one, and then he took off when the dog was about to grab him. Looked hard for both of them but no luck. (Both were shot with Boss #5s I may add)

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Welp I was suppose to hunt Currituck today but all the water blew out. Bummed about that because low water days are the best. Might do a swamp hunt or maybe get in a field for a swan.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Gonna give it a go . We have had a pretty good year overall. Have hunted hard and changed things up often. Only complaint I have is after tomorrow its a long wait to do it again. Killed 2 banded mallards this year. Been a long time since I've got 2 bands in one season

NCHNTR

Old Mossy Horns
93e2371fc9be358b0e75db16e58036c8.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Got to the ramp about 4:30 this morning. Couldn’t find the plug for the boat. Grabbed the plug out of the live well and then realized the hole for the plug was halfway frozen up. I sat there for several minutes trying to warm it up with my hands and chip at it with a screw driver to no avail. Made a mad dash back to the house to drop off the boat and went to one of my woody holes. Missed one bird right after shooting light and didn’t see anything else.

that’s about par for the course at this point. Hoping I’ll have better luck on the veterans days.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Went with my cousin's 12 year old son on family land this morning. We scared up a good flock of geese as we approached the water. A good number of high flying wood ducks this morning. Only 2 came in and I snapped off a shot, but missed. 2 more larger ducks came in late in the morning, but caught us with our pants down since we'd not seen anything for a good while and weren't prepared to shoot.
My Boykin was awfully disappointed with us.

TH80

Eight Pointer
Not much happening this morning. Saw very few and ended with one hen woodie. Hope next year is better

NCBulldog

Spike
Got to the ramp about 4:30 this morning. Couldn’t find the plug for the boat. Grabbed the plug out of the live well and then realized the hole for the plug was halfway frozen up. I sat there for several minutes trying to warm it up with my hands and chip at it with a screw driver to no avail. Made a mad dash back to the house to drop off the boat and went to one of my woody holes. Missed one bird right after shooting light and didn’t see anything else.

that’s about par for the course at this point. Hoping I’ll have better luck on the veterans days.
I’ve poured some hot coffee in an iced up plug hole to get the plug in.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
I’ve poured some hot coffee in an iced up plug hole to get the plug in.

Yep done this before and also one morning got to the water with a friend and he couldn’t find his plug he was about to call it a morning when I grabbed my gun threw a shell in and fired, picked up the empty and proceeded to hammer it into the plug hole morning saved.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Y’all realize all you have to do is back the boat down into the water 2-3” and the ice around the plug hole will melt in under 1 min.
Didn’t know that, thanks for the tip. Do you just look for bubbles to start coming out to know when to pull the boat out?

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor

I have read about guys using an empty 12 gauge shell as an improvised plug, but don't think i would trust my life in icy waters to that trick. As i get older and more forgetful, i always keep 2 plugs laying in the bilge of my boat. I insert 1 plug in-place when i load decoys (or fishing gear) in the boat before leaving home. The less i have to do at the boat ramp, the better (especially if i am still half-asleep)!