Season Dates

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I finally had the chance to sit down and read the glossy new Regs Digest that came in the mail the other day. I noticed a few things about the dates.

Am I correct in saying that there is an extra week of archery and one less of rifle season? In the Central season, it looked like the archery opener was as early as ever on the 7th, but ML didn't open until November 2nd, as opposed to late October as it has the past few years. That put rifle on the 16th.

I also noticed they gave the rabbit hunters over a month on the front end and extended the fox squirrel season a lot.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
The archery date is always the 1st Sat after Labor Day ... of course Labor Day is Sept 2 this year which is way early in the month

So it’s really a calendar thing

Twhobbs

Button Buck
The archery date is always the 1st Sat after Labor Day ... of course Labor Day is Sept 2 this year which is way early in the month

So it’s really a calendar thing

Sounds like more hunting time to me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fudd

Four Pointer
I also noticed there are no local laws listed for Montgomery county. So I guess this means if you hunt in that county you can do what ever you want. We will see how that works out.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I also noticed there are no local laws listed for Montgomery county. So I guess this means if you hunt in that county you can do what ever you want. We will see how that works out.
not to be negative or ugly but montgomery is almost like chatham.
"you can do whatever you want" are words to hunt by in both places. ime. :p

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^^^^^ You might want to read that disclaimer right at the first of the listing under "Local Laws". LOL

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I think you might have misunderstood the scope of the local laws section. Those are just additional laws on top of everything else written in that book.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If I'm not mistaken Thanksgiving is as late as can be which will throw off start ML and rifle starts compared to most years at least in western NC since our rifle dates are linked to the holiday. sat before in NW and Mon in west section

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Deer season is early due to the early start of dove season. Instead of dove being on the first Saturday and archery starting on the second Saturday in September, dove starts on Labor Day this year.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Deer season is early due to the early start of dove season. Instead of dove being on the first Saturday and archery starting on the second Saturday in September, dove starts on Labor Day this year.

Sort of. The rule for doves is first Saturday after Sep. 1 unless Labor Day falls on the 1st or 2nd. Then it's Monday

The rule for archery is the Saturday on or nearest September 10th.

I believe the calendar dictates that the archery opener is the Saturday after the dove opener (whichever day that falls) EXCEPT on a year where Labor Day falls on the 1st. If that happens, there would be an extra Saturday between the two openers. That would have happened next year based on the rotation, but next year is a leap year, which causes us to skip over that scenario.

jefe06

Button Buck
Not to hijack the thread, but is there a technical reason to the setting of start dates for hunting season. For instance, does wildlife management consider when the rut should start for the setting of archery, ML, and general gun start dates, etc....

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Last year the WRC proposed shifting deer season dates based on certain biological data they had gathered but hunters opposed any changes to deer season dates.

Most start dates are not set based on biology but hunter preference.

Dates can and do change but not very often.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
wonder if/when it will change to any weapon all year long here in NC?
Just can the special seasons, use what you want; adjust season length if we are killing "too many".
be like section 3 in SC.

JoeH

Six Pointer
I wish they’d start the season a few weeks later, and let it run on a few weeks later, when the weather is cooler.
January is a nice time to be in the woods here in the South. September is pretty miserable.