Scroll saw

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Anyone on here into woodworking. My wife is wanting to make Christmas ornaments. Aka, my wife wants me to make Christmas ornaments.

Can anyone recommend a good scroll saw. This is something I plan to have for a long time, I’d rather buy the best I can. I could use one on other projects. Typically I use my jig saw on things....but these ornaments are to intricate. I cant do them with a jig saw....I don’t know anyone that can.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My BIL is really into intricate woodworking, he has one with an extremely deep throat. You can put a fairly wide board up on it. It is some foreign brand but it is quality, I have seen him twist stuff that would normally pop a blade or force it off the guides but it just keeps on gnawing. I'll try to remember to ask him what brand it is.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
To ease your pain once you get one, they make ROUND scroll saw blades coated with some sort of abrasive and they actually work!! I got a set of 3 from Lowe's about a year ago...

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good news on the round blades. I’ve used scroll saws but never owned one. This project will require a lot of drill pilot holes and uninstalling and reinstalling blades.

BVB

Four Pointer
DeWalt. And not just because of the name. Both the DeWalt and Delta have 20" throats. Most others are 16".
Either way, if you do other wood working than ornaments, not having a 20" will come back to haunt you.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Not top brand but had a grizzley used it for years with no issues,don't have it any longer only because kind of got out off doing those things and sold it.

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Delta makes some good saws, I liked the older porter cable tools but dont know much about their newer stuff.