Scouting

Kayankee

Button Buck
Thank you all for the welcome. Being new I’m excited to start to learn some skills. So I had a question about scouting. Can I simply practice scouting through the winter to actually try to find where birds roost. I did see the cautions about calling during scouting as not to educate turkeys. Conversely , is Turkey behavior through the winter so different than spring that it would make this practice scouting useless. Thanks

Pimpscoe

Eight Pointer
You will get all sorts of feedback. Personally I would say get out and scout as much as you want this time of year. During your scouting I would pay more attention to the lay of the land, than where the turkeys are roosting, etc. knowing the land you will be hunting will help you more than any other information at this time. Just getting your boots on the ground and become familiar is always a bonus with any hunting. As for the turkeys, so much will change from now til season to rely on what you will observe through your scouting now. Two examples. I have one farm that I currently see 35 hens on daily, have a flock of 4-5 Toms that cruise through same spot. Can take you to the trees they will roost in this evening. Come spring, won’t see a turkey. Has been that way for 6-7 years since they cut the timber. Matter of fact, there will be 3-4 Toms strutting and 30+ hens up until the week of youth, and then they disappear. I have no clue where or why they leave, but they do. Ghost town. 2nd farm, 30+ hens and 8-10 gobblers daily. Matter of fact the hens will cut and call almost every morning right now. Had 7-8 Toms gobbling last week. Interesting part, they are roosting in the exact trees they will be come spring. Both Toms and hens are scratching and feeding in the same spots they will come spring. Why they stay at this farm and not the other I have no clue. I have thought maybe someone is baiting since they leave at the same time like clock work. Who knows? Anyhow, my point in sharing is for you to understand that what is going on now, MAY or MAY NOT be a indiacator of what will be there in the spring. Like I said, get out and learn the land, and have fun enjoying the woods.

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
Agree with Pimpscoe, turkeys move around in the spring. It depends on if you have access to private or public land. If private, u need to get lay of the land and what areas may be huntable. I believe in making natural blinds of limbs ect. to be ready for season

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Thank you all for the welcome. Being new I’m excited to start to learn some skills. So I had a question about scouting. Can I simply practice scouting through the winter to actually try to find where birds roost. I did see the cautions about calling during scouting as not to educate turkeys. Conversely , is Turkey behavior through the winter so different than spring that it would make this practice scouting useless. Thanks
Scouting is fun anytime of year except dead heat of summer. This is pretty simple finding roost and feeding areas now won't do you much good as birds are flocked together in their groups your not gonna gain much except maybe to see what population is like in area. As far as the calling not sure what you would want to accomplish there because the type of calling you would do on spring gobbler he will likely ignore if you do that in winter. This time year birds are just trying to eat and survive with little pecking order skirmish mixed in. Now what w you will gain from scouting is learning the lay of land you are planning to hunt things that are of value to take note of are obstacles that would hang up a gobbler if your working him fence lines deep or wide creeks, deep hollars, thickets,. Take note these. Learn openings that are likely strut zones fields open creek bottoms, open points, clear logging roads. The lay of land is mostly what you'll gain and truthfully depending on your property it still may not matter in mid late March hens are gonna move to nesting areas with food source if that is not there you could have 1000 acres and no turkeys. If you've hunted birds much then you probably already know what to look for nesting, food, open strutting areas, are likely things you can spot now. I wouldn't worry about roost sites they will give that away real easy here in 3 and half months a or so. I wouldn't myself worry to much till about 3rd into 4th week March you'll find out then everything you need to know about if they are there at that time you'll want to listen from distance and not be running in spooking them.

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I'm with QBD2 knowing you hunting property is priceless. Ditches, fences or any other barrier will affect the approach of a wary bird. Expect the bird to come in from an unexpected direction. Good luck and have fun.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good advice from these guys

Learn the property this winter, and learn some back up properties and public lands. I like to cover ground in the woods in winter , I usually carry a .22 or light shotgun for a squirrel opportunity and I look at rut sign from the past season, look for sheds , and take mental notes for spring turkey season. Their habits will change in the spring but it’s good to know land features and it’ll help you in the spring when you are trying to move on a wary gobbler.

Best of luck

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Like what has been said above knowing what the turkeys are doing now won't tell you anything about what they are doing in the spring. That said learning the lay of the land and making note of spring habitat can be done and can be beneficial. Also learn how the road and trail systems run through the property. Also find and note as many potential listening spots as you can. That way you can efficiently scout with your ears towards the end of March. Also find as many other properties with suitable spring habitat as you can. Don't put all your turkey hunting eggs in one basket.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk