Scouting reports

kahunter

Eight Pointer
So people should be out and about bushing blinds, filling ponds, checking holes, etc. Lets hear some reports.
Scouted my ponds yesterday. Plenty of woodies so far. Hoping to see some more other ducks with this front this coming weekend. Seeing a few birds on the coastal marshes as well.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Pea island has plenty of ducks. I might bush one blind before November. I will bush the rest in December.

Last edited:

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Buddy of mine hunted Lake St Clair (yes a long way away) on Saturday they managed to squeeze out one goose and missed one mallard - nothing flying up here yet, still too warm up north for them to be pushed down

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
So people should be out and about bushing blinds, filling ponds, checking holes, etc. Lets hear some reports.
Scouted my ponds yesterday. Plenty of woodies so far. Hoping to see some more other ducks with this front this coming weekend. Seeing a few birds on the coastal marshes as well.

From the back patio in the burbs, the mallards were feeding and chuckling yesterday morning and a couple of woodies were whistling.

I’m probably not going to shoot this bunch!

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Not scouting, but I picked up my new kayak Tue. and took it on a small river to try it out. I jumped three ducks in the first group and four in the second group. I have never duck hunted in my life as of yet and not 100% sure, but think they were all wood ducks. I can't hunt this area anyway, but was nice to see them.

TomstoSwans486

Six Pointer
Local woodies, seen a good number of mallards in a spot...I won't release. The last two days I've seen a lot more geese flying. We have a full moon and several days of a N wind...maybe we'll get a few

Clark

Ten Pointer
Hit some sports around Core Sound/Cedar Island a couple days this week, yet to see the first duck. Big flock of geese.
Cormorants and pelicans we got.

.35Rem

Eight Pointer
Threw out some millet when I saw the pond was bone dry. Need some rain. The few inches we got last week just got absorbed. Makes brushing the blind easier though. B78C877C-399F-4FF8-B5B3-0C9A5C496278.jpeg

Outerbanker

Button Buck
A few solid groups of divers and some smaller groups of black ducks around Kitty hawk Bay and duck right now.

jparsons14

Four Pointer
Pond normally has 10-20 woodies this time of year. Watched this morning before deer hunting and there wasn’t a single duck. Surry County

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
saw about 200 mallards in one flock working a cut cornfield,,, then a short bit later seen three seperate flocks of 50+ canada geese but they were working a farm implement store grass field and two golf courses,,,

but then they were still in New Brunswick,,,,,,

kahunter

Eight Pointer
4 teal showed up in my backyard in norfolk yesterday Was pretty cool to see them up in the yard feeding with the mallards. Some woodies around my house as well along with about 150 mallards. The mallards are mostly locals but the numbers have increased. My brother saw a few ruddies on the river as well. Definitely a few new birds around.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Went to a central NC lake this am, saw only a few woodies. Don't know if the decline is due to being later in the season or because it is so dry. There is a little creek I usually paddle into, it was so dry it is about 2 feet above the water level and the out-of-the-way marshes are dry. The good news is I got to meet 3 other hunt groups also scouting :rolleyes:.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Went to a central NC lake this am, saw only a few woodies. Don't know if the decline is due to being later in the season or because it is so dry. There is a little creek I usually paddle into, it was so dry it is about 2 feet above the water level and the out-of-the-way marshes are dry. The good news is I got to meet 3 other hunt groups also scouting :rolleyes:.
As much as dry can be a pain right now, it is good for the long term health and productivity of a wetland or body of water. Kind of resets the cycle

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
seen a wood duck hen get up from a small pond,,, as I drove by I saw an old pile of fermented corn right on the edge of the pond,,,

there's some idiots out there,,,,

yup,, public land,,,,

scout for more than ducks folks!!

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Found about 150 woodies and a some teal. Bushed blinds sunday and saw a few teal on open water but not much happening. Been busy offseason ready to hunt friday and saturday. Weather looks decent for my dads blind in currituck with a south/sw wind friday and saturday. Should be interesting.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Found about 150 woodies and a some teal. Bushed blinds sunday and saw a few teal on open water but not much happening. Been busy offseason ready to hunt friday and saturday. Weather looks decent for my dads blind in currituck with a south/sw wind friday and saturday. Should be interesting.
At least you'll have water.

Last edited:

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
3 days till coastal opener. Still not seeing much besides woodies, and a very small handful of puddle ducks. Anyone else having better luck? I figured this later season would mean more big ducks before the opener but doesn’t seem to be true for this area

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
That thunderstorm that came through early Tuesday am ran what birds that were here away. Sometime they will fly back North during a bad Thunderstorm. They hate thunder and lightning.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Glassed several places along the Nuese yesterday, turned up nothing but seagulls and cormorants. Looks like the 2-day early season is just gonna be hitting some woodie holes.