Scouting 2021

Desert_hawg

Four Pointer
Hello all,

Y'all have been a great source for me thus far.

I got out and scouted public today as the weather was really nice. Canoed into a spot in chatham on jordan GL where I had seen a 6pt this past october, but couldnt get a shot.

I found a lot of new rubs that had been hit again since october and followed the rub line for over a mile and a half, also had plenty of scrapes around. Is there more than one buck travelling a rubline that extends that far?

It was hard for me to pinpoint exactly where the beds would be, the rub line went through oaks and then pines and then back to oaks, plenty of food and water in the area I was scouting. Any tips on finding beds would be really helpful.

Finally, i found it interesting that the deer trails i found were about 40-50yds off shore of the lake. I would imagine the deer dont expect a threat from water, so that is why it is relatively close to the lake? Just a thought.

It was nice to be out and was a really successful scouting trip in my book. And apologies if this post is rudimentary, as I have only been hunting in NC for less than a year.

Thanks again y'all.
-desert_hawg

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
can not help you as I'm a bit new to it also.
Was out scouting today and all but stepped on this fellow. He did not act well. no visible injury but moved his head real slow and did not move.
20210110_122103.jpg

Deerherder

Ten Pointer
It isn’t just by a lake that you’ll find deer trails that distance into a wood line.

My cousin gave me some of the best deer hunting advice I’ve received. I was telling him about how I wasn’t seeing deer from a stand I put directly on a field edge in a really good spot that had evidence of deer using the trails to come into the field. He told me to move it 30 feet back into the woods & then hang a stand facing the woods/approaches to the field. Saw plenty of deer in that spot after that. They will often “stage” a few yards from an opening to check things out.

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
The trails bucks use are often times different then ones does use, so they are actually not as obvious to see. I'd look for those downwind near heavier trails. Water can force natural funnels for deer. Also I don't pay as much attention to rubs as I do scrapes as many rubs are a one time spontaneous act while the buck is worked up and travelling through and very hard to predict, but if I find multiple in a row or on edge of thickets they can be very informative. In areas like your describing where bedding isn't obvious you need to focus on edges and areas where there are habitat changes, they walk these edges and maybe you can find a community scrape or something and some beds. I would use water to your advantage, whether to find a funnel or cover your downwind side. It doesn't take much of a change in terrain or habitat to cause a natural funnel, could be a little low spot or an edge.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
My experience has been to look for trails below the ridgeline parallel to the water line about half way between both. Use the prevailing wind (normally North Westerly in Fall) to either push your scent out across the water or up over the ridge to help beat the deer's nose. Trails and rubs will tell you where they're comfortable moving. If terrain and woods haven't changed (by logging, development, fire, etc.) some trails might be years or even decades old. Scrapes are signposts advertising different buck's presence, where they're hoping to attract does. Bucks regularly take over scrapes made by other bucks if they feel like it.

Think of a scrape about like a fire hydrant that male dogs pee on to mark their turf or leave their calling card. Deer use scrapes sort of the same way. You can tell a lot about how dominant the buck using that scrape is by his behavior around the scrape. If he hesitantly walks up kind of nervously looking around (hoping he doesn't get his @$$ kicked), then he is subordinate and there's a bigger buck somewhere in the area. You can usually tell the dominant buck on sight, but if he walks up the the scrape, jams his nose in it, then pees or paws (or both) without a second thought, then he's the man. You probably won't see a bigger buck at that scrape unless it is early in the bow season and things haven't been sorted out between bucks yet. Early season scrapes don't mean much except that a buck has felt the urge and laid some of his scent down.

My experience is also that deer will bed down wherever there's cover and safety. Sometimes, that might be open woods where they can see a long ways. They will bed looking downwind and their nose and ears can tell them what's behind them. If there's a downed log or some cover to help hide them, it doesn't take much for them to take advantage of a spot. A cluster of different size beds fairly close together usually means does & fawns bedded there. A lone bed with rub(s) nearby usually means a buck bed. They don't always bed down in the same area or spot, but if they feel safe there, many times they will. Most buck beds will have an escape route close by, either through thick cover, or the other side of the ridge, or something where they can quickly put distance between themselves and danger. I have also found some big bucks using isolated knobs off the end of a ridge. They can see a long ways and it is virtually impossible to get close to them without them knowing you're coming before you get there.

Jim

Desert_hawg

Four Pointer
My experience has been to look for trails below the ridgeline parallel to the water line about half way between both. Use the prevailing wind (normally North Westerly in Fall) to either push your scent out across the water or up over the ridge to help beat the deer's nose. Trails and rubs will tell you where they're comfortable moving. If terrain and woods haven't changed (by logging, development, fire, etc.) some trails might be years or even decades old. Scrapes are signposts advertising different buck's presence, where they're hoping to attract does. Bucks regularly take over scrapes made by other bucks if they feel like it.

Think of a scrape about like a fire hydrant that male dogs pee on to mark their turf or leave their calling card. Deer use scrapes sort of the same way. You can tell a lot about how dominant the buck using that scrape is by his behavior around the scrape. If he hesitantly walks up kind of nervously looking around (hoping he doesn't get his @$$ kicked), then he is subordinate and there's a bigger buck somewhere in the area. You can usually tell the dominant buck on sight, but if he walks up the the scrape, jams his nose in it, then pees or paws (or both) without a second thought, then he's the man. You probably won't see a bigger buck at that scrape unless it is early in the bow season and things haven't been sorted out between bucks yet. Early season scrapes don't mean much except that a buck has felt the urge and laid some of his scent down.

My experience is also that deer will bed down wherever there's cover and safety. Sometimes, that might be open woods where they can see a long ways. They will bed looking downwind and their nose and ears can tell them what's behind them. If there's a downed log or some cover to help hide them, it doesn't take much for them to take advantage of a spot. A cluster of different size beds fairly close together usually means does & fawns bedded there. A lone bed with rub(s) nearby usually means a buck bed. They don't always bed down in the same area or spot, but if they feel safe there, many times they will. Most buck beds will have an escape route close by, either through thick cover, or the other side of the ridge, or something where they can quickly put distance between themselves and danger. I have also found some big bucks using isolated knobs off the end of a ridge. They can see a long ways and it is virtually impossible to get close to them without them knowing you're coming before you get there.

Jim

Thanks Jim.

You are spot on, the trails i have found were below the ridge line parallel to the water midway between both.

I found a rub line for that extended for mile and 1/2 midway between the water and the ridge line that led me to some scrapes.

Thanks for the information much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
possum.

I agree with moving into the woods. I have hinted a field for a few years and built a new stand a bit in the woods and facing in. I have seen a ton more deer. I plan on putting up another further back in for archery season as I found some heavy sign further in.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
It's important to understand how deer bed. You hear people say "Deer bed in the thick stuff." Not entirely accurate. Deer bed on the edges of the thick stuff. They lie down a few feet inside of a briar patch, laurel thicket, tall grass etc. They will bed with the wind at their back, facing out to where they can see in an open area. That way, if something approaches from the direction they can see, they will bail into the thicket. If they catch a whiff of something coming from behind, they will bail out of the thicket and out into the open to move off. In areas that have less thick cover (such as big woods) look for beds on benches. Bucks will bed often up against a tree or near a fallen tree or log. The tree breaks up their outline. They will usually bed 2/3 or so a ways up a hill, watching the hollar down below them and wind at their back. That way they can move quickly in multiple directions if danger approaches, but they are not skylined.

This is the best time of year to scout. Woods are wide open, sign is still fresh from the season (both deer and people). You can identify late season food sources easily. Plus, no mosquitos, spiders or snakes to deal with. Also, carry a shotgun or 22 and pop some squirrels and rabbits while you are scouting.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
The trails bucks use are often times different then ones does use, so they are actually not as obvious to see. I'd look for those downwind near heavier trails. Water can force natural funnels for deer. Also I don't pay as much attention to rubs as I do scrapes as many rubs are a one time spontaneous act while the buck is worked up and travelling through and very hard to predict, but if I find multiple in a row or on edge of thickets they can be very informative. In areas like your describing where bedding isn't obvious you need to focus on edges and areas where there are habitat changes, they walk these edges and maybe you can find a community scrape or something and some beds. I would use water to your advantage, whether to find a funnel or cover your downwind side. It doesn't take much of a change in terrain or habitat to cause a natural funnel, could be a little low spot or an edge.

I would NOT dismiss a good rub line... it’s a much more reliable daylight travel pattern than scrape lines are

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Helium, see all CAPS section

The trails bucks use are often times different then ones does use, so they are actually not as obvious to see. I'd look for those downwind near heavier trails. Water can force natural funnels for deer. Also I don't pay as much attention to rubs as I do scrapes as many rubs are a one time spontaneous act while the buck is worked up and travelling through and very hard to predict, BUT IF I FIND MULTIPLE IN A ROW or on edge of thickets they can be very informative. In areas like your describing where bedding isn't obvious you need to focus on edges and areas where there are habitat changes, they walk these edges and maybe you can find a community scrape or something and some beds. I would use water to your advantage, whether to find a funnel or cover your downwind side. It doesn't take much of a change in terrain or habitat to cause a natural funnel, could be a little low spot or an edge.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
if you are around a lake look at sattelite photos for coves that "go back in the woods"
At the head of those coves you'll find deer trails.
They would rather walk than swim across the cove.
If the "woods" behind the coves are a cutover then you have a slam dunk.
At jordan you and I own the land in the flood plain 24 vertical ft of it. In a shallow cove that may be enough land to last you a season.

those endless lakeside trails are fine but random compared to pinches like described above.
It's not hard at jordan to find deer and sign. If you arent/cant move to a different spot.

Desert_hawg

Four Pointer
if you are around a lake look at sattelite photos for coves that "go back in the woods"
At the head of those coves you'll find deer trails.
They would rather walk than swim across the cove.
If the "woods" behind the coves are a cutover then you have a slam dunk.
At jordan you and I own the land in the flood plain 24 vertical ft of it. In a shallow cove that may be enough land to last you a season.

those endless lakeside trails are fine but random compared to pinches like described above.
It's not hard at jordan to find deer and sign. If you arent/cant move to a different spot.

Good information Oldest School much appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk