Scope recommendations

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Looking for new glass for two of my deer rifles.

Not wanting to break the bank, but something reliable that is quality - not looking for junk.

Open to recommendations if you have them

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
I don't have it mounted yet - but I just brought my wife a 3x9x50 Nikon prostaff with the BDC rectical. It is very clear and the zoom is excellent. I hope it holds up well.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Leupold. You can spend about as little or as much as you like. I've not tried the VX-Freedom line, but that might fill your needs.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Nikon, Leupold, Burris, Vortex or just about any other brand nowadays. Go look at them and see what you like best.
Im a Zeiss fan so you could always find a used one online for a good price if you go that route.

sent from...... Tapatalk

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Swift scopes all the way for me.......better glass than the Nikon.......equal to a Leupold to me.......much better price

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Another vote for Swift. Good prices, good glass, great cust service. Own several, but Im still most impressed with their 4x40 that Ive had for years. Sits on a .30-30, that scope is killer !

1SHOT1KILL

Old Mossy Horns
Nikon ProStaff or Buckmaster would be my first choice for a economical line scope, the Sightron SI Hunter would be my second choice, and the Hawke Vantage would be a close third choice.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Redfield..... cant beat the quality of the glass and Leupold warranty for the price. Holds zero perfectly

Redfield Revenge scopes are great. They were the best scope for the money. I have several, near Leupold VX-3 glass, could not tell a difference until nearly 20 mins. after legal shooting light. They have been discontinued. They where cutting their own throat, IMO they were better than the Revolution line. You can still find them on Ebay and other places by searching the web. Mine have held up on rifles and heavy recoiling slug guns. I have not had a single problem with one. I sent a Nikon Pro-staff 7 with a 30mm tube back because the Revenge, literally walked the dog on it.

Burris, you can't go wrong with. The Fullfield ll has really good glass, as good or better than the Leupold VX-3. I have all the scopes above mounted on rifles or slug guns(except the Nikon I sent back and the Revolution I replaced with a Revenge) and comparisons are from bright light to past twilight.

Last edited:

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
for those of you recommending the VX freedom line.........I picked up 2 of the 2-7 for a couple of lightweight 308s..........both brand new in the box with plastic still on them. both will have to go back to leupold. one had a canted reticle out of the box and the other went tits up after less then 100 round of 308. So all I can say is stay away from most anything leupold of recent manufacture. to many folks having major QC issues with brand new scopes for me to ever go back to them.
I would look at an SWFA fixed power for $300. what I was thinking going back to Leupold after all the issues I had previously with them I do not know. I would look at Burris, Sightron or Nikon if an SWFA is not what you are looking for.

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Loaded question.
Hunting in the woods and thickets?
Running dogs?
Shotgun?
Fields and power lines?

Just bought a used 12x swfa.
Good for fields and 100yds plus.
Good for spinning if you understand MOA and your guns DOPE.
Great scope. For hunting in the woods and in mixed situations it’s probably not worth a hoot.
Any 3x9-40 that holds zero and has decent glass will get it done durning legal shooting hours.
Vx freedom Leupold
Nikon pro staff
Swift
Vortex
A lot of manufactures make great scopes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I have killed deer at less then 20 yards with a fixed 10X Super sniper with no issues. And the mil quad reticle works in the woods well past legal shooting time. 6x Super sniper maybe be the best all around scope there is.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
for those of you recommending the VX freedom line.........I picked up 2 of the 2-7 for a couple of lightweight 308s..........both brand new in the box with plastic still on them. both will have to go back to leupold. one had a canted reticle out of the box and the other went tits up after less then 100 round of 308. So all I can say is stay away from most anything leupold of recent manufacture. to many folks having major QC issues with brand new scopes for me to ever go back to them.
I would look at an SWFA fixed power for $300. what I was thinking going back to Leupold after all the issues I had previously with them I do not know. I would look at Burris, Sightron or Nikon if an SWFA is not what you are looking for.

I hate to hear of your troubles with the new Leupolds. I have 8 of the new VX Freedoms and all are the same high quality that I have always found with Leupold, the same quality that Leupold has built its great reputation on.

I know several others who have these with ZERO issues.

Yours are the first and only issues that I’ve personally heard of

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns

I hate to hear of your troubles with the new Leupolds. I have 8 of the new VX Freedoms and all are the same high quality that I have always found with Leupold, the same quality that Leupold has built its great reputation on.

I know several others who have these with ZERO issues.

Yours are the first and only issues that I’ve personally heard of

I have had all kinds of issues with Leupold over the last 5 years or so......everything from fingerprints on the interior of lenses to huge tracking errors to scopes dying on relative low recoil rounds. I moved away from them around 3 years ago and didn’t like the new 2.5-10 ultralight scope SWFA has come out with due to really short eye relied. These 2 freedoms have turned me off to Leupold for good. I have read tons and tons of stuff online about huge issues with new Leupolds. If I could find a couple of early 2000s 2.5-8 or even a couple of the same vintage 2-7 I would pick those up. Their new stuff seems to be having huge QC issues.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Get you a demo 3-9x40 Zeiss from CameralandNY - it will cover pretty much any situation you would plan to do regarding hunting.