Scope Question

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
After seeing a couple scopes for sell here over the last couple weeks, I'm still scratching my head. No ill will to the sellers, at all. I'm just wondering why companies, yes it was more than one manufacturer, make a scope with a 3Omm tube that has a 20mm objective lens. I just can't wrap my mind around that one. Even with the outside of the scope tube measuring 30mm that would still leave the thickness of the tube at 5mm. 13/64" = or a hair thicker than 3/16". Bet that one can take a beating. :0 I know one reason for the 30mm tube is the added adjustment, which I find even more amusing on a low powered scope. The added benefit for allowing light through is mute due to the 20mm objective lens.

double

Twelve Pointer
After seeing a couple scopes for sell here over the last couple weeks, I'm still scratching my head. No ill will to the sellers, at all. I'm just wondering why companies, yes it was more than one manufacturer, make a scope with a 3Omm tube that has a 20mm objective lens. I just can't wrap my mind around that one. Even with the outside of the scope tube measuring 30mm that would still leave the thickness of the tube at 5mm. 13/64" = or a hair thicker than 3/16". Bet that one can take a beating. :0 I know one reason for the 30mm tube is the added adjustment, which I find even more amusing on a low powered scope. The added benefit for allowing light through is mute due to the 20mm objective lens.

The smaller objective lets the scope sit lower while the 30mm retains more light than if the tube was 20mm all the way through. Popular on quick acquisition guns, levers, and dangerous game guns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The smaller objective lets the scope sit lower while the 30mm retains more light than if the tube was 20mm all the way through. Popular on quick acquisition guns, levers, and dangerous game guns.

Why not a 25mm objective lens? For sure you can put a larger objective on with a 30mm tube. You would still need clearance for the 30mm tube. I understand the low power for field of view for fast target acquisition.

double

Twelve Pointer
Why not a 25mm objective lens? For sure you can put a larger objective on with a 30mm tube. You would still need clearance for the 30mm tube. I understand the low power for field of view for fast target acquisition.

No clue 20mm just seems to be a standard size.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
No clue 20mm just seems to be a standard size.

That was my question. You need clearance for the 30mm tube, why not go with max objective size. Just don't make sense. Not to argue about it, it just seems like a waste. Maybe they want to make slow changes and not shock the customers with a change and keep it standard.

I've got a strike eagle(30mm tube/24mm objective) and a Mark AR (1 inch tube/20mm objective. They are both on ar15s. You don't really get them to get the best light transmission as they are for closer range targets. They are light weight and durable. Though the Mark AR does perform considerably better in low light.

If I am taking them out for a hunt (pigs/predators),I probably have a green light attached to the rifle so it really doesn't make a difference. They sure are a blast at the 1x setting plinking a bunch of different steel targets as fast as I can.

Reactions: DRS

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
That was my question. You need clearance for the 30mm tube, why not go with max objective size. Just don't make sense. Not to argue about it, it just seems like a waste. Maybe they want to make slow changes and not shock the customers with a change and keep it standard.
30mm tube can not have a 30 mm obj glass if the tube is remaining 30mm
Also many have oversized adjustment mid section to take into play.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
30mm tube can not have a 30 mm obj glass if the tube is remaining 30mm
Also many have oversized adjustment mid section to take into play.

I understand this, that was why I wondered about a 25mm obj. Like the Strike Eagle, 300BlkoutLivesMatter describes.