School me, flintlock edition

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Looking to get a flintlock rifle. Not dead set on a style, but I’m leaning towards a Hawkin style. I’ve never messed with one before, so I’m looking for recommendations on everything. Guns, powder, bullets, and videos/ articles that would be good for someone starting out.

Seems inflation has hit the muzzleloader market as hard or harder than other guns. I don’t want the cheapest one made, but can’t swing for high end at this time. I can’t believe how many are sold out on online sites.

Anyway, any recommendations are welcome and appreciated, and if anybody knows of any for sale let me know. Thanks fellas.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
I would suggest not buying cheap, a cheap flintlock will be so aggravating that you will be ready to wrap it around a tree...

I bought my first flintlock in 1977, it was custom made, cost me $480...It has a 42 inch barrel, was .45 caliber and a large Siler lock...The lock is key, how the barrel matches up to the lock or placement of the touch hole is second...I still have this gun, although I replaced the .45 caliber barrel with a .40 back in the '80s when I made a .54 caliber...My .54 has a small Siler lock and a 38 inch barrel...It is my deer gun, the .40 is my squirrel gun...I have never had either not go off when hunting...If you have a good lock, a properly position touch hole, dry black powder (not a sub) then these guns are very reliable...

Just last week, I ordered a Kibler Woodsrunner long rifle...It will have a 40 inch barrel and will be a .54 caliber...With extra fancy curly maple it is about $1,500 and I will need to assemble myself...His kits seem to be the easiest to assemble yourself as he uses the latest technology to duplicate the stocks and machines the brass instead of casting, this cuts down on fitting and filing...His website is www.kiblerslongrifles.com Also look at www.flintlocks.com This is owned by Jim Chambers, who used to make long rifles at Old Salem...He is also written up in Foxfire 5 as one of the people they interview...Both of these sell top of the line "kits" that can be modified to look much like originals...

Now, if this is more than you want to spend, I would suggest going with a factory made Hawken style in percussion...It will be cheaper, but I don't know how much...As best we can tell there were very few Hawken style rifles that were flintlocks, there is one that I have heard of but that's it...The Hawken boys did make rifles before going to St Lewis and they were flintlocks but were designed more like your late Lancasters or later rifles that were being made in other parts of the country....

What do you want to do with this gun? Deer hunt?? Target shoot? Or just put it over the mantel?? Do you plan to stay traditional and shoot roundballs? Or some type of lead bullet? This may help me help you get started...One other point, if you go flintlock, you need to shoot real black powder, like Goex....Substitites have a lower ignition point and will be trouble...Nothing is worse than pulling the trigger and the gun not going off...Up until a few years ago, there was a black powder distributor in Advance and I could drive over there and buy directly from them...Now, you either need someone local that will stock or have to order online and it will be expensive...The advantage of a flintlock is, if you have access to lead, stock up on flints and have powder and can mold your own bullets, you are good to go...I doubt I ever have to buy anything else other than pillow ticking for patches to keep my flintlocks shooting....Good Luck!!

Last edited:

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Reach out to @D.Buck Stopshere
Buck knows Flintlocks and can help answer your questions.

Reactions: CRC

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
I would suggest not buying cheap, a cheap flintlock will be so aggravating that you will be ready to wrap it around a tree...

I bought my first flintlock in 1977, it was custom made, cost me $480...It has a 42 inch barrel, was .45 caliber and a large Siler lock...The lock is key, how the barrel matches up to the lock or placement of the touch hole is second...I still have this gun, although I replaced the .45 caliber barrel with a .40 back in the '80s when I made a .54 caliber...My .54 has a small Siler lock and a 38 inch barrel...It is my deer gun, the .40 is my squirrel gun...I have never had either not go off when hunting...If you have a good lock, a properly position touch hole, dry black powder (not a sub) then these guns are very reliable...

Just last week, I ordered a Kibler Woodsrunner long rifle...It will have a 40 inch barrel and will be a .54 caliber...With extra fancy curly maple it is about $1,500 and I will need to assemble myself...His kits seem to be the easiest to assemble yourself as he uses the latest technology to duplicate the stocks and machines the brass instead of casting, this cuts down on fitting and filing...His website is www.kiblerslongrifles.com Also look at www.flintlocks.com This is owned by Jim Chambers, who used to make long rifles at Old Salem...He is also written up in Foxfire 5 as one of the people they interview...Both of these sell top of the line "kits" that can be modified to look much like originals...

Now, if this is more than you want to spend, I would suggest going with a factory made Hawken style in percussion...It will be cheaper, but I don't know how much...As best we can tell there were very few Hawken style rifles that were flintlocks, there is one that I have heard of but that's it...The Hawken boys did make rifles before going to St Lewis and they were flintlocks but were designed more like your late Lancasters or later rifles that were being made in other parts of the country....

What do you want to do with this gun? Deer hunt?? Target shoot? Or just put it over the mantel?? Do you plan to stay traditional and shoot roundballs? Or some type of lead bullet? This may help me help you get started...One other point, if you go flintlock, you need to shoot real black powder, like Goex....Substitites have a lower ignition point and will be trouble...Nothing is worse than pulling the trigger and the gun not going off...Up until a few years ago, there was a black powder distributor in Advance and I could drive over there and buy directly from them...Now, you either need someone local that will stock or have to order online and it will be expensive...The advantage of a flintlock is, if you have access to lead, stock up on flints and have powder and can mold your own bullets, you are good to go...I doubt I ever have to buy anything else other than pillow ticking for patches to keep my flintlocks shooting....Good Luck!!
I’m looking for deer hunting and it has to be flintlock for PA late muzzleloader. I use the term Hawken as a general for shorter rifle not the long ones. I usually find myself in the middle of the thick stuff and don’t know if a long gun would be a good idea.

I remember looking at the ones they used to sell at Walmart and could swear they used to be dirt cheap. So I figured I could get a ok one for ~$500… but from what I can tell now, $500 gets ya a cheapo one. I don’t really have a place to assemble a kit, so I’m looking for a complete gun.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looking to get a flintlock rifle. Not dead set on a style, but I’m leaning towards a Hawkin style. I’ve never messed with one before, so I’m looking for recommendations on everything. Guns, powder, bullets, and videos/ articles that would be good for someone starting out.

Seems inflation has hit the muzzleloader market as hard or harder than other guns. I don’t want the cheapest one made, but can’t swing for high end at this time. I can’t believe how many are sold out on online sites.

Anyway, any recommendations are welcome and appreciated, and if anybody knows of any for sale let me know. Thanks fellas.
I started out Flintlocks in the late 90's with T/C Hawken rifles...and added Green Mountain smoothbore barrels.
Excellent for the money...deer, turkeys, small game.
I think they've become hard to find now...as well as parts availability, not sure.
Here are couple photos for reference:

.50cal Flintlock 8 and 7 Pointers_RS52.jpg

Close-up lock+vent_RS74 .JPG

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Genuine black powder can be found here:

Pyrodex too

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
Genuine black powder can be found here:

Pyrodex too

Hold up there fella, according to those links, their powder will expose me to lead… I’ll have to shop around for some cleaner powder. 🤷🏿‍♂️

Haleh

Spike
nchawkeye is spot on about getting a quality flintlock. Roundballs suggestion on a used Thompson Center would be a good choice also.

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns
It must say something that a lot of these guys in videos I watch are using Chamber’s locks. I haven’t got around to ordering his catalog yet, but I’ve seen 2 different YouTube videos where guys have changed the stock lock to Chamber’s and several talk about building a rifle using his locks.

I’m also assuming his prices have gone up since the one guy bought one of his locks for $120. 😅

adkarcher

Six Pointer

This price, at least I think, is pretty decent. From what I have seen on this forum, he is a pretty straight up guy to deal with.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
It must say something that a lot of these guys in videos I watch are using Chamber’s locks. I haven’t got around to ordering his catalog yet, but I’ve seen 2 different YouTube videos where guys have changed the stock lock to Chamber’s and several talk about building a rifle using his locks.

I’m also assuming his prices have gone up since the one guy bought one of his locks for $120. 😅
After my initial few years with some TC Hawken Flintlocks, I knew I was 100% into all hunting only with Flintlocks.
Decided to treat myself for the final chapter of my hunting life.....sold all my centerfire rifles / shotguns and had some custom Flintlocks made...all with the excellent Chambers locks.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

This price, at least I think, is pretty decent. From what I have seen on this forum, he is a pretty straight up guy to deal with.
FWIW, the locks on the ‘early’ TC Flintlocks were marginal and ultimately replaced with redesigned / upgraded more dependable locks

FITZH2O

Old Mossy Horns

I just got to look at that and it is apparently sold as of an hour after you sent this lol. Thanks for the heads up though, I’ll keep an eye on there.

adkarcher

Six Pointer
I just got to look at that and it is apparently sold as of an hour after you sent this lol. Thanks for the heads up though, I’ll keep an eye on there.
My father's friend might be looking to sell his. Will let you know if he wants to sell.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Go to the muzzleoadingforum. You will answer all your questions and a lot more you didn’t know you had. Might even find your rifle.

adkarcher

Six Pointer

Sent you a pm.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I started out Flintlocks in the late 90's with T/C Hawken rifles...and added Green Mountain smoothbore barrels.
Excellent for the money...deer, turkeys, small game.
I think they've become hard to find now...as well as parts availability, not sure.
Here are couple photos for reference:

View attachment 105679

View attachment 105680
This, if you are starting out Get a TC Howken or Renegade. both came in flintlocks.

Zoa

Four Pointer
I'd keep an eye on Track of the Wolf, a good deal comes along in the classifieds pretty often.