Scents and do they work....

bb1970

Six Pointer
I seen a post on this awhile back and didn’t respond much but at the time I wanted to but didn’t have a lot of time too. So today I went on what possibly might be my last hunt of the year......I got to my hunting area put out my 3 scent “bombs” with tinks 69 in a half moon shape around my stand as I always do from mid November to end of the season....I’ll be honest I’ve seen it not work at all I’ve seen it scare does “I think by using it to early before mid November “ and more often than not I’ve had bucks come in from down wind looking for love ! I’ve killed several respectable bucks that came in with there nose to the wind looking for the doe that’s ready for love.... so this morning I had another respectable buck come in to the tinks 69 80 yard shot drt...... fell in his tracks.... so I walk up to it and what do you know.....he’s laying in between two of the scent bombs I put out.....I’m posting a pic u have to look close but u can see both orange scent bombs hanging with my deer laying there....so needless to say I’m a big fan of tinks 69....

Attachments

• 3434B81E-A53A-42E7-B9B3-4FDDD0F44C8D.jpeg
    3434B81E-A53A-42E7-B9B3-4FDDD0F44C8D.jpeg
    312.1 KB · Views: 141
  • D536DDE6-967D-4112-92A7-74D92D79637F.jpeg
    D536DDE6-967D-4112-92A7-74D92D79637F.jpeg
    300.2 KB · Views: 144

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
My dad swears by it but I have never had much luck with Tinks or any scent really.
Same thing goes for the can call....never seemed to work for me, but I have had much success with a grun tube.

Congrats again on the 8ptr.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Years ago I used to get real doe urine from a deer farm in PA. It was sent refrigerated and was clear yellow. It smelled nothing like this bottled stuff and was always kept in the refrigerator.
I've killed bucks who I watched leave a doe to come to a sock soaked with that stuff. It was amazingly cheap too for the amounts.
The other stuff is more like curiosity scents, there's no way pheromones last for the length of time they sit on shelves.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
Biggest buck I ever got came in with his nose up in the air. My tree was at the end of a firebreak we called the cul-de-sac where the dozers turned around. One older doe with a much smaller one came out to enjoy some of the winter rye. My Tinks bottle was hanging on a limb in some scrub brush on the other side of the opening. This big bodied 8 with a broken tine came running in from behind me. And he really had that nose up swinging his head side to side. The older doe ignored him and he moved toward the young one. But she was having none of it and jumped into the brush where my Tinks was. The buck started to follow her in but then stopped and turned towards the Tinks. The young doe took the opportunity to trot into the trees. When the buck looked like he finally decided he'd been fooled and started in the direction of the young doe, I took the neck shot since he was only ten or so yards from my tree. He spun around and fell right under me. Of course I chambered another round but I was shaking so hard if I needed to shoot again I'd probably miss. Had to drag that sucker out uphill all the way by myself. So, yep I am a firm believer in scents and Tinks is as good as any.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
I’m not saying it won’t or doesn’t work in some cases but I’ve seen more does turn inside out when they get a whiff that I won’t fool with it anymore. I’d rather have live decoys around hands that don’t smell like piss! (Don’t lie, everybody who has used scents has spilled some on their hands, clothes or packs)

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Of anything I’ve used can call doe bleat at least 5 killed using it. Killed one buck with a grunt call and can’t say I’ve ever had one come to scent but have seen them spooked by it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have killed several with a bleat can, never had a deer spook from it.
I've killed several with a grunt tube, sometimes using it as a doe or young buck grunt. But, I have had a number of does and bucks spook from using it.
I used to blind call a lot, now it's very seldom. I call when nothing else is working or a buck is following a doe and she's going away from my location.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for sharing your experience. I've used scent for attractants, doe bleats and buck grunts and rattling horns. I have seen nothing in my personal experience to show that they attracted any deer BUT, I have used them enough with deer within sight to convince myself they don't hurt anything. On the other hand, I'm sold on scent killer on my boots. I've watched them walk the same trail I came in on without spooking. They'll usually detect something, but it doesn't spook them. After a half century of deer hunting, I'm convinced that the best sound to make is silence, and the best scent is NO scent. Of course, there is always the real possibility that I'm just not good at using scents and calling. :)

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
if you say it I believe it!!!!!
I personally think it is crazy but a fellow still affiliated with the NCWRC told me that he was all but sure it was coming. I trust him enough that if he said martians were coming I would be looking for a tinfoil suit. lol

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Some scents scare deer by having too much ammonia, wrong time, etc. I have seen doe estrous scare the crap out of the does on our place the last two seasons. I mean does leave and stay gone for a solid week. Bucks will lay around the scent bombs and mock scrapes but a doe not in heat will avoid the area. In KY I killed my biggest buck ever coming straight to estrous and a mock scrape filled with buck urine.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
to the o p that's a nice buck congratulations. I've had deer run as soon as they smelled a doe in heat scent and I've had deer come right to them. This year I'm trying out the synthetics and they seem to work about the same I had a small buck come in straight to a scent bomb had does stop sniff look around and walk off they didn't seem scared by it, and the wind was actually blowing straight from me on the ground, to the scent bomb, to the does within about 30 yards.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty buck congrats. I used to use scents years ago but stopped due to it scaring off does and I like to shoot them for meat. I'm sure at right time and place they work

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
During the rut I’ve had a little luck with scents but not before or after (excluding cover scents like acorn and fox pee). Most of that being that our farm in WV is a doe factory. But the biggest buck I’ve ever seen, and missed; and the most bucks I’ve ever seen in a 10 minute time frame came in from me peeing out of the stand.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Code Blue works well for me in Harnett and in Northampton when I Hunted up there. I have not had any luck with it up in Rockingham county though. I have spooked deer using it up at the Rock.
Tinks 69 can sometimes spook an older buck.
I shot this buck using Code Blue yesterday evening. Put out a bottle Tuesday and saw this buck come out to the longleaf pine plantation rubbing saplings and smelling the air on Wednesday.

Attachments

• IMG_1292.jpg
    IMG_1292.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 13

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I think my best luck with scents was to evening prior to a morning hunt pour some in fresh scrape then sit all day next day killed 2 decent 8 points that way

Reactions: jug