Scent covering

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Happy 4th yall! Im just wondering what yall use for scent covering? Usually i just spray myself down with wildlife research center supercharged scent killer, and spray again after putting on my coveralls. I work as a tractor mechanic, so most of my hunts may be after work, without a chance to really scrub the stink off me. Ive heard of other mechanics spraying oil & diesel fuel around their land year round so the deer are used to the smell. Ill take any advice, tips or secrets i can get, i got winded almost every time i saw a deer last season. Oh and has anybody tried fairchase nose jammer?

wademaster

I don't go unless I can be completely scent free. If I were you I'd build/purchase a box blind. Scent won't be as much of a factor.

Sent from my kayak...

RealTree_JD

I use scent killer gold. Supposedly you can spray your cloths down and once dry, it's effective for longer and you don't have to worry about hunting right away. Have you tried field wipes? Maybe wash down as much as you can before leaving work and take a woods "shower" with field wipes, and be real particular about the wind. Be better than nothing!

Last edited:

Kendo

if I had to wait to hunt until i was scent free i would never be able to go..... well actually that is pretty much my story anyways.....ha

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
After reading numerous post on " smoking" your clothes before hunting,, I tried it on purpose ,,last year. I only got to try it once but it worked. This year I hope to get to hunt more often so I'm going to do it again. Back in the 80's I was unintentionally doing it all the time as my coveralls always smelled smokey due to my dad burning leaves in the back yard where I hung my hunting clothes at. It worked then and works now... It sounds crazy but it works...

nckeith

Ten Pointer
Pretty simple. Hunt the wind and don't worry about the other junk. If all the scent stuff was half as effective as claimed why wouldn't drug dealers and smugglers use this stuff to throw sniffing dogs off their trail. Deer smell better, I'm convinced it's all bunk. It's more effective at emptying your wallet. If the wind is to your advantage go, if not don't use that particular stand.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Scent killer gold here too, i dont buy into cover scents, best you can do is play the wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I usually try to shower with Hunter's Specialities liquid soap, I might spray my clothes / boots with H.S. scent blocker. But hands down the best method is pay attention to the wind.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Although I use scent away detergent, dryer lints, deodorant, body soap, shampoo, spray and keep in plastic container, you will never be scent free. Set up stands for different winds on each tract, don't hunt with a bad wind. I would not be spraying fuel around your hunting areas.

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
I don't use anything. I wash my hunting clothes in scent free laundry detergent and pay attention to the wind direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Pretty simple. Hunt the wind and don't worry about the other junk. If all the scent stuff was half as effective as claimed why wouldn't drug dealers and smugglers use this stuff to throw sniffing dogs off their trail. Deer smell better, I'm convinced it's all bunk. It's more effective at emptying your wallet. If the wind is to your advantage go, if not don't use that particular stand.

voice of reason there,,,,,,,,,,,,,concur,,,,,,

gamehunter

Old Mossy Horns
Like everyone has already said, hunt the wind, but I do both. I hunt the wind but i also shower before I go in, use the deodorant, soap, field spray, sometimes the cover scent, and store all my clothing in a cheap "carbon" bag.

Since youre coming from work i would just use some field wipes or camping bath wipes then spray down with whatever brand you like and go in. You do all the other steps when you have time

81toyota

Twelve Pointer
I use scent killer and love it. Wash your hands in it, itll get rid of gas smell on your hands and any other smell without a problem then I spay essence of fall on my boots n pants legs works awesome

Zombie

Old Mossy Horns
I still make my own...distilled water, baking soda, and dirt fragrance oil....replace dirt with apple, persimmon or whatever for cover and attracting

Sent From Ink's House

tarheelshooter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Shot 3 last year after work while still wearing my work uniform (mechanic here too), but I will admit that I was using box blinds or ground blinds those times.
Just hunted a favorable wind and hoped for the best. Luckily those days I was not dowsed in fuel or anything. If you get burnt gear oil on you.............don't bother. I can smell that crap from a mile away and I know the deer can too. I swear that smell has to wear off:mad:

Better yet, park a tractor where you plan to hunt and you will blend right in;)