Scandal

hunter

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Interesting, wonder if there were any studies conducting on their behavior vs. native wild species.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty sure they made an effort to mix and match the turkeys released at restoration sites to insure closely related birds weren't the only ones there. Meaning that a site might have birds from several different places in NC as well as out of state. I think I recall Mike Seamster, former wrc turkey biologist, commenting that the gobblers from Wisconsin were a bit bigger by a few pounds than native gobblers but that likely disappeared in a generation or two.

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
So, I ended up covering the wolf restoration scandal. In my short research, I could not support the theory that the wolves being reintroduced in Idaho and Wyoming are genetically different than what was previously there. The science that I found suggest their size difference stems from from their food sources rather than genetics. The Canadian grey wolves that were released are bigger because they eat large mammals, rather their the past US populations that are smaller mammals. I found web sites that contested this theory but they both site the same study as their conclusive evidence, while the DNA studies disprove their theory.
As for the red wolves. I think there is over whelming evidence that supports that the red wolf was catastrophe from the onset. Based on two aspects, the FWS plan on stopping the reproduction of coyotes in the Albamarle Peninsula in order to support a reintroduced population of breeding pairs of the alleged red wolf, and genetic testing that marked the red wolf closer to coyotes than any wolf species.

Jett

Ten Pointer
Careyhamil,

I would love to see your power point presentation. If I pm you my contact information, would you share this with me?

It was a USFWS failure, however NCWRC was very complicit in the beginning by knowing the wolves were being illegally released on private land and allowing it to occur under the radar. NCWRC in recent years, has worked diligently to correct what illegally happened and is a major reason the program has been brought somewhat back into compliance with the original rules (Federal Lands Only).

Thanks,
Jett Ferebee

careyhamil

Eight Pointer
Careyhamil,

I would love to see your power point presentation. If I pm you my contact information, would you share this with me?

It was a USFWS failure, however NCWRC was very complicit in the beginning by knowing the wolves were being illegally released on private land and allowing it to occur under the radar. NCWRC in recent years, has worked diligently to correct what illegally happened and is a major reason the program has been brought somewhat back into compliance with the original rules (Federal Lands Only).

Thanks,
Jett Ferebee

Jeff,

I agree with you. I stopped short during my presentation of trying to prove this, because my presentation obligations were fulfilled. What I really wanted to do, was research the monetary gain from these so called conservation lobbyist groups.