Scam Alert.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
I got a call about 7:10 tonight, a message that my power was about to be shut off for non payment. They claimed to be Duke Power and gave me a prompt of "1" to reach the supervisor who repeated that I was to be shut off today for non-payment, said I owed them over $400 but I knew that my bill paid ten days ago was only $36 and change. He wanted my billing address (should have had that info in front of him),and although his English was good he had a South Asian accent. Told him to go ahead and cut it off but didn't tell him that I pay my power bill to Dominion Energy, not Duke Power.

It takes all kinds!

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Well I found out where my Chase card was compromised, Amazon. Amazon all but admitted their security was breeched, essentially was blaming it was hacked outside of Amazon. Suuuureeee it was because the hackers opened an Amazon account.

Only reason Amazon notified me is because Chase went after it.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
My Mom got a call and the caller was supposedly one of her grandkids. They kept referring to her as Grandma and said they needed money. Her grandkids don‘t call her Grandma, so she knew it was a scam.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
No , they need to put them up against the wall & shoot them.

Mike

Gut shot. I got a call by some real amateur scammer. Wanting me to do the Target card game. Middle eastern accent or whatever. You could sometimes hear a guy that had a worse accent telling the caller what to say. A lot of background noise. Like people talking as they were passing by. The best part was you could hear mopeds, etc. passing by. lol. Handed phone to a guy who was in Iraq...possibly Falluja. He said some words to Haji I can't repeat. lmbo

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I like to string them along sometimes, it's great if you act a little drunk or worried. Kept one going 30 mins the other day on speakerphone while I was hand lapping the valves on my engine heads. Between the noise on his end and the noise on my end and speaker phone he really had to yell,

Infamous1

Eight Pointer
Spectrum has been calling me multiple times a day to sell me services. When I pressed one and held the line I got Punjabi "Larry" and when I asked him how to stop the calling he told me to shut up and slammed down the phone. LoL those guys have no sense of humor.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
I've mentioned it before but it's still funny. I have a friend who gives the phone to one of his 3 or 4 year old grandkids who get a big kick babbling on the phone with the scoundrels. Sometimes the calls go on for several minutes before they realize that nothing makes any sense.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Wife hates the calls but loves to screw with them. She’s great at it, can keep them going with questions forever. Then she’ll slam the door on their toes and probably face too ….heard her finally call one out by calling him a low life camel jockey and to go pound sand ……….silence for a moment finally followed by “you beech” ….😂

boomer

Twelve Pointer
I got called the other day to let me know a warrant for my arrest was being taken out on me because my SS# had been compromised. The federal agent that I spoke to barely could speak English. I asked him to please hurry and serve the warrant because I wanted out the h*ll hole I was in now and was hoping federal prison would be better. He stuttered for a few minutes and then told me good luck and hung up on me. I do enjoy stringing them on.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Honestly, I had time to kill one day last week and got the warranty call from a dot head lady and I pressed 1 , got a guy named Scott from south Carolina that was really from there based on his accent. I drug it out a couple minutes and he asked if I was :donk:donk:donk:donking retarted. I informed him I maybe but but I still needed a warranty on my 2021 pinto . I'm still waiting on him to get back to me

genbud78

Ten Pointer
I try to get them to cuss at me bc it makes me laugh. Had one trying to lower my CC interest, only card I have is issued by my employer. I strung him along for about 10 mins with different bull before he asked me for the number. I acted like I was looking for it and then told him I left it on his mother's nightstand. He said "how about you go F yourself" and my coworker and I started rolling laughing. It's fun to mess with them

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I used to say hold on let me get the pot off the stove and then I’d just leave the phone next to the tv until they hung up.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I got a text yesterday that said my Costco receipt was selected in a drawing for an ipad. All I needed to do was click on the link provided to claim my prize.... I've never stepped foot inside a Costco.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I think “beech” is my favorite insult from those folks. Listened to an argument between an Indian hotel worker and a black dude at the front desk and so much was lost in translation. It was amazing. Black guy kept using N word. Indian guy kept insisting he was “not an N word , you beech!”. Eventually Indian guy threatens to fight black guy. Black guy says “aight let’s take it to the street, dawg.” Indian guy gets enraged and screams “No no no! Fugg you! I am not street dog! You are street dog. Dirty street dog! Fugg you!”. The whole thing dragged on a solid 5 minutes. I was in tears laughing

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I think “beech” is my favorite insult from those folks. Listened to an argument between an Indian hotel worker and a black dude at the front desk and so much was lost in translation. It was amazing. Black guy kept using N word. Indian guy kept insisting he was “not an N word , you beech!”. Eventually Indian guy threatens to fight black guy. Black guy says “aight let’s take it to the street, dawg.” Indian guy gets enraged and screams “No no no! Fugg you! I am not street dog! You are street dog. Dirty street dog! Fugg you!”. The whole thing dragged on a solid 5 minutes. I was in tears laughing
Was this in Fayetteville?, I think I might have witnessed the same hotel owner. The irrate customer had called him a :poop:head. I was in tears, listening to Mr. Patel tell this dude, "I'm not a sheet-head, you're the sheet-head, beech!.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Was this in Fayetteville?, I think I might have witnessed the same hotel owner. The irrate customer had called him a :poop:head. I was in tears, listening to Mr. Patel tell this dude, "I'm not a sheet-head, you're the sheet-head, beech!.
Hahah that’s hilarious. No this was in Baltimore prob 8 years ago. At one point they were exchanging F You’s. Except he kept saying “no! I fugg you! You no fugg to me! I fugg you!”. Then once he ran the guy off, he started in on me because I was laughing . I was trying to explain I agreed with his reasonings for kicking the guy out but it was funny that he just went full throttle in front of all the other customers. Finally I said “yeah you know how it is with them damn street dogs.” Then he blew up all over again until I explained I wasn’t calling names. 10/10 would stay at that place again.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
I can usually recognize a scam, but this past week I mistook a legit survey from the US Fish and Wildlife Service for a scam because

A) the email sender came up as US F&WS in my email box, BUT the actual email that sent it was squirrely-looking and was NOT a .gov email (it was actually from some independent research firm that was helping them do the survey),

B) the official logo of US F&WS was NOT in the email and

C) it was saying to just click this link in the email to take the survey.

It was some kind of survey of women hunters trying to learn about our experiences and what would make us go hunting more, do we feel safe around firearms, do we target shoot, do other hunters think women should not be hunters, would being in a women-only hunting group influence us wanting to hunt more, etc, etc. It said I had been chosen in some random lottery to be one of the licensed women hunters the survey was sent to.

Well, I was all like: Oh, really? Just click this link? That's one of the oldest tricks in the scammer's hat. So, I just ignored it. I got several more reminder emails asking me to take the survey and I ignored them. Well, they finally sent me a "this is our final reminder to you about the survey" and that made me think, if they wanted me to fill out the survey this badly and they're saying it will help them develop more hunting and shooting programs and opportunities for women, then maybe it's legit. So I clicked the link and, yes, it was legit. I completed the survey and submitted it.

If that survey helps them figure out how to encourage more women to hunt and attract more women to hunting and target shooting, then I'm happy to have filled it out. But I think they could've done a lot better better job at making it very clear this was really from US F&WS and not a potential scam.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Second part of this story: We were there with some young girls and parents for a little league softball tournament. That night I was in the pool with a bunch of the players when "Sheethead" walked up and yelled in his best accent "Eeeet's twelf Ouuklok, Oooot ov dee pooool!!" As soon as he left I made a turban from someone's towel and started mocking him. The more I did it, the better my accent got, and the louder the girls laughed. The laughter grew louder as I started pointing them out "You and you." They were all in stitches until they weren't:oops: Yep, turned around, and there he was, and he wasn't laughing.
The rest of the weekend we would hear the dugout explode in laughter, and you could bet money that one of the girls would have a towel or shirt on their head, doing their best "ellwoodjake" Even today, 30 years later, I will run into a now adult woman who will still remembers that trip. I really should be ashamed of myself for teaching these young kids something so racist, but for some reason I still laugh