SC Turkey Tags 2019-2020

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They’ve been on a roll the last few years with increases on non- res

If you think about it....if even just 1 non res buys them, that's $100 more than they made off of them last year!

They've been trying to discourage non res for decades but the DNR needed the money.........

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They’ve been on a roll the last few years with increases on non- res
And I was contemplating joining a club down at Camden. That right there if enacted will most likely put a screeching halt to that. They will keep right on sticking it to non residents as long as we pay it.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Me and a large number of friends that have been hunting in SC for years halted that when they increase the deer hunting costs a couple years back.

I imagine this will have a significant impact to their economy if enough out of state folks stop hunting there.

Now I just buy the shooting preserve license ($8?) to go work my birddogs.

Shame, really - I liked hunting there.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
yall all stay out. not worth the cost or drive. and no turkeys. and a later opener.
dang I may be talking myself out of going. :)

Reactions: jug

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Its been several years since I hunted SC see few things have changed looks like only allowed 1 bird day now. Non res get one less tag and pay 100 for the 2 they are making it tough. So what is total cost to hunt turkey now as non res?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Its been several years since I hunted SC see few things have changed looks like only allowed 1 bird day now. Non res get one less tag and pay 100 for the 2 they are making it tough. So what is total cost to hunt turkey now as non res?

thats not law yet - currently it's three birds for all, can kill 2 a day, and tags are free (have to have hunting / big game license)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
thats not law yet - currently it's three birds for all, can kill 2 a day, and tags are free (have to have hunting / big game license)
OK was wondering last time I hunted in SC was early 2000s plenty birds then and 2 day was good to go. From sounds way they heading doesn't look like ill be going any time soon but who knows I'll probably go broke from them birds one the days anyway

Weekender

Twelve Pointer
I hunt SC. Turkey numbers are indeed down. So much so that guys who really complained loudly about the last two reductions in tags now favor a further reduction. And these are guys who really burn some boot soles scouting, living and breathing turkey hunting, and tagged out every season. It's not just SC...there are several other eastern states with turkey population issues.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
What did SC expect with a long season and 5 bird limit for years.

Then again Alabama had similar limits and still does.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The reality is the SCDNR doesn't know why turkey numbers are down and if the changes made will reverse the trend to get back to 20 years ago numbers.

But many folks seem to think the 5 bird limit was too much. Who knows.

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i think they know how to improve the situation and have taken steps to do that.
Charles Ruth is a fine biologist to have leading the way.
it helps to have the NWTF in place as well. But even those two groups could not get their recommendation on a state wide april opener.
This looks to me as a grand compromise.
I aint liking that tag fee though.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
South Carolina regulation changes have to go through the politicians.

Resident hunters vote for those politicians and non residents don't.

Don't want to upset the voters.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Granted I dont know the details but $100 for two or 3 birds sounds cheap to me. I just paid $192 for a license and two Turkey tags in Kansas butvit was worth every penny.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

gobbler

Eight Pointer
Will that be $100 plus the $326 we already pay to hunt for a year? If so $426 for a nonresident to kill two birds verses a resident pays $55 to kill 3, that just aint right, one of there plans do use the new extra tag money for is for turkey habitat improvements, wonder what the $76 wma fee goes too??
Also every where I’ve ever saw a sign that said turkey habitat improvement sponsored by the Nwtf all they did was cut all the trees, places where there were birds and now since they “improved” the habitat there are none

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
I don't hunt SC at this time, but I will. Higher NR license fees don't bother me at all. Helps keep some of the riffraff out;)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
^I been going too long to stop now.
a late opening ( in thesunset report recommendations) was going t o give me pause but not two tanks of gas.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
$100 plus the $326

that's the way it reads - the $100 is for the tags, not for the licenses

it's not the $100 bucks to me,,,it's that on top of all the other stuff,,,,killed plenty in SC,,maybe time to go terrorize somewhere else (VA, GA, AL, etc),,,

the season overlap (plan is to start about when NC did) was worse to me -

time will tell,,,not making any decisions today

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
that's the way it reads - the $100 is for the tags, not for the licenses

it's not the $100 bucks to me,,,it's that on top of all the other stuff,,,,killed plenty in SC,,maybe time to go terrorize somewhere else (VA, GA, AL, etc),,,

the season overlap (plan is to start about when NC did) was worse to me -

time will tell,,,not making any decisions today

It's not the $100 to me either............it's the principle of the thing.

Since I started hunting in SC in the late '70s they've always tried to solve wildlife problems and generate revenue on the backs of the non-res hunters.

The Hell with them!:mad:

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Well good... I’ve never hunted SC but it sounds like if I give it 2 more years it should be a great place to go

Less hunters = more birds