SC Turkey Tags 2019-2020

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'll be curious to see how it plays out SC is traditionally a heavy hunted state for turkey I used to run into at least 3 times the hunters there as in NC on public land if 8t cut down on hunters I may go back myself

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
I was in a club down there for the past 2 years. I got to looking at the money I was spending to hunt down there and decided not to rejoin this past year. When you lumped all the costs together I was more than $2000 out of pocket and this was before the proposed tag increase. I decided to take that money and use it on going on trips to places I've never been before. This past spring I went to Kansas for less than a thousand dollars. If I do it right and plan well, I can do 3 or 4 states each spring that I've never been to before for less than what it will cost me to hunt in SC. I'm not saying I won't ever hunt SC again because I do enjoy hunting down there but I do know it will be a long time before I hunt down there again.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I was in a club down there for the past 2 years. I got to looking at the money I was spending to hunt down there and decided not to rejoin this past year. When you lumped all the costs together I was more than $2000 out of pocket and this was before the proposed tag increase. I decided to take that money and use it on going on trips to places I've never been before. This past spring I went to Kansas for less than a thousand dollars. If I do it right and plan well, I can do 3 or 4 states each spring that I've never been to before for less than what it will cost me to hunt in SC. I'm not saying I won't ever hunt SC again because I do enjoy hunting down there but I do know it will be a long time before I hunt down there again.
This is thing to do with little homework you can hit different spots every year cheaper than club plenty public land out there I've been doing it for over 20 years now trick is to hit places while they're hot. Make lot memories kill few birds see places I wouldn't have gone otherwise its win all way around

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
hit different spots every year cheaper than club

likely where I am headed when it comes to SC,,,hate to give up that little peice of bottom land but gonna retire one day so need to plan lots of hunts at lower rates,,,

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
likely where I am headed when it comes to SC,,,hate to give up that little peice of bottom land but gonna retire one day so need to plan lots of hunts at lower rates,,,
Its sure easier now than ever so much info out there part the fun is doing the research to me. I remember when I first went to Neb off word of mouth with paper map and slept in vehicle at pulloffs on public now its GPS to get you there onyx type phone maps to hunt while you there and internet scouting to know where to go. I do spring for soft bed and hot shower on occasion these days getting soft I guess

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
In 2014 my dad and I hunted along the Savannah river outside of Estill. I was not impressed with the Turkey numbers there. I can honestly say I heard more birds on Nashville church road in Scotland county than we heard in the supposedly top spots that Cypress creek lodge had down there.
Fun and all hunting early but there is not a Turkey worth that to me anymore.
Too much money.

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Well good... I’ve never hunted SC but it sounds like if I give it 2 more years it should be a great place to go

Less hunters = more birds
The locals will still kill 10. To 15. A spring and not tag but 2.Too many turkey hunters ,the birds cannot raise enough for,what is taken out,Last spring was ridiculous at the hunter,on WMA land that were hunting,talked to,several who,said they had,killed. them off there,club or,private lands now,going to hunt the WMA. Itbshould,cut down,on,out of,state hunters,,Hope,they lower the price of tags when the birds come back,lol

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
The locals will still kill 10. To 15. A spring and not tag but 2.Too many turkey hunters ,the birds cannot raise enough for,what is taken out,Last spring was ridiculous at the hunter,on WMA land that were hunting,talked to,several who,said they had,killed. them off there,club or,private lands now,going to hunt the WMA. Itbshould,cut down,on,out of,state hunters,,Hope,they lower the price of tags when the birds come back,lol

The irony here....

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Also every where I’ve ever saw a sign that said turkey habitat improvement sponsored by the Nwtf all they did was cut all the trees, places where there were birds and now since they “improved” the habitat there are none

I’ve noticed the same thing..,

PG2

Ten Pointer
There has to be another way besides driving out the nonresidents. I wonder if they ever thought what this will do to local businesses...not to mention the timber companies and their hunting leases, I don’t think I have ever saw so many clubs looking for members in SC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
The money wouldn't bother me to bad I spend more going to other states the deal breaker for me would be that only 1 bird first 10 days no way I could go for that

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
The money wouldn't bother me to bad I spend more going to other states the deal breaker for me would be that only 1 bird first 10 days no way I could go for that
Missouri has that reg as well. For only the first week though.
SC may be breaking new ground with the 10 day stuff.
This sure may put a damper on non residents rolling in and making their little tv shows. :)

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Missouri has that reg as well. For only the first week though.
SC may be breaking new ground with the 10 day stuff.
This sure may put a damper on non residents rolling in and making their little tv shows. :)
Someone its really gonna hurt is outfitters there are plenty in SC that do turkey hunts many get clients that want that early start now my guess would be them first 8 or 9 days they would get very few non res clients.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Someone its really gonna hurt is outfitters there are plenty in SC that do turkey hunts many get clients that want that early start now my guess would be them first 8 or 9 days they would get very few non res clients.
well folks still go to Missouri.
and most outfitter deals are for a few days not all week so it may not be much of a change.
We hunted with one near Estill who made damn sure you weren't going to kill more than one anyway. :p

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
well folks still go to Missouri.
and most outfitter deals are for a few days not all week so it may not be much of a change.
We hunted with one near Estill who made damn sure you weren't going to kill more than one anyway. :p
Missouri and SC 2 totally different thought processes for hunters with SC has early start makes appealing along with 2 in day added to it. Mo you can go 6th day knowing can only kill one day added SC can be scorching hot 10 days into season Mo likely still frost in morning. Plus SC IMO is way below Mo in quality hunt. By way did you go with Danny at Crpress creek in Estill that place is nice but i think overhunted they were in with Quaker Boy and everyone knew they saved hottest birds/ best hunts for them they filmed some shows for DVD there

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Missouri and SC 2 totally different thought processes for hunters with SC has early start makes appealing along with 2 in day added to it. Mo you can go 6th day knowing can only kill one day added SC can be scorching hot 10 days into season Mo likely still frost in morning. Plus SC IMO is way below Mo in quality hunt. By way did you go with Danny at Crpress creek in Estill that place is nice but i think overhunted they were in with Quaker Boy and everyone knew they saved hottest birds/ best hunts for them they filmed some shows for DVD there
no it wasn't cypress creek.
You are correct in that SC is now pretty conservative versus their history. No more march 15th; two a day; five a year.
But I still don't think it kills the outfitters.
you could book near the 31st and be fine, killing one before one after the cut off .
I nend to test your thoughts on MO being above SC. I have never hunted MO.
Seems their kill is really down as well from historical highs, 38,000 versus 60,000.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
no it wasn't cypress creek.
You are correct in that SC is now pretty conservative versus their history. No more march 15th; two a day; five a year.
But I still don't think it kills the outfitters.
you could book near the 31st and be fine, killing one before one after the cut off .
I nend to test your thoughts on MO being above SC. I have never hunted MO.
Seems their kill is really down as well from historical highs, 38,000 versus 60,000.
Like many states they have leveled off but their leveling off is still better than lot places. I personally wouldn't say hunt the Twain right now unless they just had huge hatch say with cicadas 2 year before. I would hit a booming state on way up before leveling off there are few them right now