SC Gator Draw or Lack Of *Surprise Update*

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Odd, I forgot to apply a few years after my last trip in 2016. Going in I had 3 points and applied only for the region I’ve wanted to draw since the beginning with no alternate. 3 pts. was always a guaranteed tag. I had 3 pts. I actually thought 2 would draw it last year after hearing popularity had waned. Not sure if allocations changed or post-Covid spike in hunts but saw in my personal email one from SCDNR in June saying I’m at 4 pts now for failing to draw. Bummer

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Them dang Swamp People TV shows...
Just like Duck Commander...just about ruined duck hunting anywhere on public water.

Good luck next year !

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Even during popular time for the shows 3 tags was a guarantee. I’m guessing Covid travel bans maybe jumped it to 4.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
They have since 2010 opener or whenever. Was actually declining in popularity so I’m surprised. Know avg size seems to be declining and maybe less hostility toward them. Covid seems to have repressed a lot of hunts too so odds must be higher everywhere.
The drop moose hunt I was planning when I decided to play Frogger in Raleigh is now unobtanium. Float drops for DIY jumping from $3500 to $8500 and still years out waiting list. Heard some outfitters lobbying to make Brooks Outfitter only. I don’t even apply for most western states. If I can break point creep I still contend with the “friends and family Non-hunters” pulling groups up to their point level. As I understand it they can then back out and the group retains that point level. After the second year they lose points for dropping out but group retains it that year. Then move to next family member.

I’ve decided if it’s a semi realistic draw I do it like SC gator or antelope in WY. Otherwise, I’ll have to gain some wealth and just buy an outfitter tag. I realize there are a lot of opptys if you do the homework and have patience. Not in my cards with 3 still under teens at home. Oldest moved on to work for USAF/DoD and couldn’t be more proud but pouring money into a 20 year draw to me seems a bit nuts as those states cut draw odds to below 5% fit non-residents.

Heck, so many great people here I struggle to find time to meet to hunt with and none have ever asked me for a penny. Hard to swallow floating tags to states that don’t want me.

In SC, my guide was a 30 year+ “Trapper” who always seemed to have mixed emotions on killing giant gators older than both of us combined. Found him through a member here. Even last trip in ‘16 when I passed an 11’ to get skunked I tipped 30% of hunt cost. Guy tried hard and a picky client wasn’t his fault.

Saw he passed from a heart attack this year. Going to miss our convos on maintaining plantations in SC, bird dogs, and mostly him letting me ramble on all my hunting thoughts. A friend I brought got aggravated and he corrected the guy saying “Man loves to hunt, why criticize that. Sit back and let him talk”

RIP Ron, a more tolerant guide I’ll probably never find. I’ve tried thinking of his patience when I’m on other trips. Ontario Browns I spent 2/3 of trip I was footing bill for fixing planers, spools for same, and helping drive boat so my brother and uncle could cherish the huge browns we where landing. Guides made out well there to and I’ve often considered selling all investments and jumping in with a solo charter type business.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
@Cloningerbra Brian Taylor’s buddy Ron passed this year. Can’t thank you enough for recommendation. I made a friend for the rest of his life anyway. Would check in, ask about one of his plantations that held a monster he still refused to give landowner tag on, congratulate his success. Guy worked hard for it and wish he had another 60 years on this dirt.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Update: Received notice they allocated more tags and I drew. Not sure what all happened but probably eliminates the few guides having availability since most received tags already. Might pick up a Jon boat cheap and go DIY though with this tag I hate to go in blind. Middle Coastal is hardest to draw and I know nothing of Santee Cooper.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Update: Received notice they allocated more tags and I drew. Not sure what all happened but probably eliminates the few guides having availability since most received tags already. Might pick up a Jon boat cheap and go DIY though with this tag I hate to go in blind. Middle Coastal is hardest to draw and I know nothing of Santee Cooper.
If you are going to pick up a Jon cheap you better do it up there, ain’t no such animal here.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
If you are going to pick up a Jon cheap you better do it up there, ain’t no such animal here.
Found one for $400 with newish trolling motor. Going to try to scramble to find a guide. Think season opens early Sept. Being Middle Coastal a guide would be better but we’ll see who had openings.