SC deer hunting hours

hayco10

Eight Pointer
I was curious after watching hunting show that was in SC. I looked it up and hours are 1 hr before sunrise and one hour after sunset. That would certainly justify a much more expensive, better light gathering scope or night scope.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I was curious after watching hunting show that was in SC. I looked it up and hours are 1 hr before sunrise and one hour after sunset. That would certainly justify a much more expensive, better light gathering scope or night scope.

According to some a deer cannot be properly identified at high noon with nothing less than a scope able to shoot the eyelashes off a gnat at midnight.....so, yeah

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

dang skippy,,,,gives a whole nuther meaning to the need for light gathering capability

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
According to some a deer cannot be properly identified at high noon with nothing less than a scope able to shoot the eyelashes off a gnat at midnight.....so, yeah

It’s dark 45 minutes before sunrise and after sunset. If that’s the law it’s crazy.

It’s dark 45 minutes before sunrise and 45 minutes after sunset. Rather they be using a light if they are shooting early or late. Crazy law if true.

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
It’s dark 45 minutes before sunrise and after sunset. If that’s the law it’s crazy.

It’s dark 45 minutes before sunrise and 45 minutes after sunset. Rather they be using a light if they are shooting early or late. Crazy law if true.

Plenty of evenings I’ve sat on a field in sc with a bright moon and had very doable shots an hour after sunset. Depends on the conditions.

Sharps40

Old Mossy Horns
Was going to say the same thing.....good moon morning or evening down in Andrews and hit the towers on the open field early and late. Makes for a couple of very fine hunts during the September Rifle season.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
It is all in the light.
When we were pig hunting in another state at night we could see fine at 10 or 11 on the good nights. I use a 3.5 x 10 x 50 VXIII

wturkey01

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We have antler restrictions in place at our club..........we don't hunt too late because of the possibility of killing knottyheads!!:eek:

Ambush

Twelve Pointer
Plenty of evenings I’ve sat on a field in sc with a bright moon and had very doable shots an hour after sunset. Depends on the conditions.

For sure with bright moon. That last 15 minutes with no moon or overcast is dark. I’m just surprised as cautious as the state is.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah, it was weird to hunt that late when I hunted SC. I rarely ever hunted until LST as the light is usually gone 30 min. after on most nights.

However, it is a little surreal to be sitting there watching it get darker and darker, and just about the time you think you need to leave, that full moon rises over the trees and it gets brighter and brighter. I've left an hour after dark, and it was still getting brighter. Could have counted tines at 200 yards in that picked bean field. Still, make no mistake, it is legal night hunting.