Saw something cool yesterday(well I thought it was cool)

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
Yep. We had a bang up goose hunt one year on the second opener in November. We had nothing but goose decoys in a winter wheat field. Right at shooting time, we looked up and a duck was back peddling over the goose decoys. Buddy shot it and dam if it wasn’t a wood duck drake. Shot 37 geese that morning and To this day is the best goose hunt I’ve ever been on.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
That’s pretty cool. Not exactly the same but one time during the hawk migration I saw a a group of red tails circling a raven in a tree. Figured it was ambush time. That raven made the exact same call you hear hawks do, then fly up in their group and circle with them. One by one they all caught the jet stream and took off. Except for mister raven. He just come back down to his tree and had a look on his face like “yup, I still got it.”

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Back in the 90s up til about 2001 I would see mallards and woodies flying with geese in the V very often and see them feeding in dry fields in the Piedmont in flocks of 2-300. Haven’t seen anything like that in many moons. Heck, don’t even see geese hardly ever either. I miss those days.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That’s pretty cool. Not exactly the same but one time during the hawk migration I saw a a group of red tails circling a raven in a tree. Figured it was ambush time. That raven made the exact same call you hear hawks do, then fly up in their group and circle with them. One by one they all caught the jet stream and took off. Except for mister raven. He just come back down to his tree and had a look on his face like “yup, I still got it.”
Wait a minute…… hawks migrate? I have never given it any thought

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

wcjones

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yessir! Now I assume there are some that are resident birds like some of our geese here. But it’s pretty neat
I was up at grandfather mountain one year and there were a ton of folks up there with spotting scopes watching the hawks migrate....it was neat to talk with them and find out what they were seeing