Savage MLII

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Looking at buying one. Would appreciate all the info I can get. I've read up on them some but I'd like to hear from you shooters.

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
All depends on how accurate you want your ML to be. Most will do 2-3 MOA all day. With some fiddling you could get to 1-2 moa. With a custom barrel amazing accuracy is possible.

I love mine and would highly recommend. If I were to do it all over I'd be tempted to go with a custom rig with a BRUX barrel.

@TobyScreams seems to have a super nice little green dragon rig. He might be able to give some advice.

Cyperry

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Only in my frugal mind. I'm not going to spend lots....
If you convince yourself to do it, just have one built and be done with it. You can be into a custom encore for around $1800 ish. The savage won’t touch it. You can be in a full on bolt smokeless for a little under $3000 and have a one hole 1000 yard gun.

Reactions: LDG

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you convince yourself to do it, just have one built and be done with it. You can be into a custom encore for around $1800 ish. The savage won’t touch it. You can be in a full on bolt smokeless for a little under $3000 and have a one hole 1000 yard gun.
I have an H&R 45/70 I've thought of having converted but I haven't looked much where to get it done.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have an H&R 45/70 I've thought of having converted but I haven't looked much where to get it done.
Don't. All the guys that used to convert them have all but quit. If you want a conversion and don't own an encore frame buy a scout V2 from Hankins rifles.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Love my 10ml-II (s). One .45 and .50 cal. The 45 is crazy accurate (custom from oneshotonekill) and the 50 is great but likes heavy bullets. I can see where the deer go but most end up traveling a couple feet straight down. Especially with the 300grainers. It’s like shooting bricks at 2300+ fps.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I’ve had one for quite a number of years. Bought it way before they quit making them and prices went through the roof. They are heavy and clunky. But mine shoots and shoots very well.

43 grains 5744
300 grain XTP
Harvester sabot

This load has knocked down probably 15-20 deer from ranges of 30-160 yds without issue. That is also a mild recoiling load. Roughly the recoil of a .243.

But on a side note, no way I would pay $8-1200 that these guns are going for these days. I paid $400 for mine years ago.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've owned 3 Savage 10ML-II's and still have one of them that I converted to Pacnor .45. I love the Savage, but I have a Rem 700 45 conversion and an Encore 45 conversion that I pick up before the Savage. Based on my experience, if I had to start over again I'd do the Encore conversion. I don't find it any more accurate (maybe a little less accurate actually), but it is a pleasure to carry, shoot, and maintenance is easier. I highly recommend that you private message 1shot1kill to see what he has or would recommend. I assume you know that he and his dad invented the Savage 10ML-II.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
Do they not shoot well?
They shoot fine. Getting someone to convert is the issue. In my opinion is the best way to go you end up with the short light break action muzzleloader 45 caliber Barrel baby blue Harvesters sabot good bullet 40 caliber moderate load of smokeless and you can take any deer in the country

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I had a Savage ml2 with a .45 cal pac nor barrel thing was a racehorse shot lights out but I really prefer hunting with a single shot break action

There is a very steep learning curve with a smokeless Muzzleloader though do yourself a favor talk to someone that has some experience with them before you start trying to work up loads so you have realistic expectations and you know of some things not to do

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think I've about talked myself out of one. My CVA Optima shoots great with 90 gr BH209 and 240 gr XTP's.

herman

Six Pointer
I got my first savage back in 2000.It was just the ML then.It would not shoot smokeless powder at all but would shoot pyrodex into 3 shot groups.
Got the ML 11 soon as they came out.Have had 4 of the 50 cals.All have been shooters,talking about 1 in and less at 300 yds.
Have set up or helped set up at 100yd. Most of them shot a one hole group before we got it set up.
I don't shoot them much any more but i am at the range once a week shooting other rifles. I have 2 left one a savage that i put a pac-nor 45 cal barrel on and one custom build.the custom i shoot H4198 at 78 grs and get close to 3000 fps with a 275 or 300 gr bullet.
150 yr head shot savage 50 cal
dIDcK5w.jpg