Savage Clickety-Clack .22

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve ran across one of these, at a reasonable price, and I’m considering buying it.

This is the Savage model 6A, one of the “gill guns”. It’s a post war model, no checkering. One thing I think is neat about this rifle, is that it can function as a semi auto(.22 LR only) or as a straight pull bolt action with S,L, & LR. The bolt also stays open upon firing until the trigger is released, hence the “Clickety Clack” nickname.

Anyone have one?
Anything in particular I should be looking at/ checking over?

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I don't see anything popping up on the first page but I have seen these rifles mentioned many times here:

Not a bad forum to belong to for anything rimfire related.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I don't see anything popping up on the first page but I have seen these rifles mentioned many times here:

Not a bad forum to belong to for anything rimfire related.
I’m a member over there, and I’ve found a little info on them over there. That’s where I learned about the semi auto/ straight pull bolt action deal, and that no checkering = post war

All I’ve found, so far, goes into dating them, that they shoot pretty good, the gills are magnets for “stuff” both inside and out, and that Numrich has a good bit of replacement parts...lol.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have one. Accurate as can be.

finicky doesn’t even begin to describe it.

I’ve never found an LR that would reliably feed. Works great as a single shot.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My uncle had one when I was a kid. Let me use it to shoot starlings when we visited, shot great but as was mentioned temperamental as hell.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have one. Accurate as can be.

finicky doesn’t even begin to describe it.

I’ve never found an LR that would reliably feed. Works great as a single shot.

From what the current owner tells me, Eley stuff feeds through it like butter. He mostly uses the Eley Subsonic 38 gr. HP

Although Eley Standard works well too

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The one around the house became the shop gun over time. It stays tucked away at the shop because everyone needs a varmint getter within reaching distance. It started off life as one found in an old shed at my great uncles house. He didn’t remember it and thinks it was there before he moved in. We refinished it somewhat but it’s a rust magnet. Bore always has stayed decent. It would shoot ragged hole groups at one time. It’s a quiet gun in single action mode. You can shoot about anything and it doesn’t have much of a bark. I would never turn one down, but I’d hesitate to spend much money on them. At the end of the day, savage has made a bunch of good barrels over the years. As long as single action works, it should be a good shooting gun.