Savage barrel swap HELP!

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
Hey guys
I finally got around to purchasing a barrel for my bulged stainless 50cal. I picked up a brux 45 and the arrowhead rifles 209 breech plug and the works from arrowhead rifles. I thought about a new stock but that may be a project for February.

So today i skinned off my scope, mounts , changed my bolt head and got ready to swap out the barrel. Threw some cheap barrel jaws I got from Amazon on my hunk of junk bench vise and clamped her down and... for the life of me I can’t get the barrel to quit rotating in the vise. I’m using a wheeler barrel nut wrench and that sucker just slips abs turns. I tightened down the vise as much as I could even with a helper pipe.

Any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
A dead blow hammer to smack the barrel nut wrench sure helps, I have changed out a few savage barrels and used 2 blocks of oak with groves cut in them and a thin sticky rubber pad to hold the barrel in a vice. The dead blow is the cats meowwww

BASSFAN07

Twelve Pointer
Y’all giving me some idea for tomorrow. Thanks. I’m not giving up. I have a new lug and barrel nut once I get this junk off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk