Savage 220 slugguns??

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
Anybody have any experience with these? I've been looking at the 20ga model and it has a lot of positive reviews. I don't have a ton of experience with slug specific guns. I've had a h&r ultra slug gun that was one of the "remlin" guns, it preformed poorly. Any help is appreciated or any suggestions as to a better platform if one is out there.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are several on here that either have or has had them. I have messed with a couple of the Savage. If you are used to rifle actions and want a "smooth" bolt you won't like them. Most are rough as a cob unless you take the time to smooth them up. But as far as performance they will shoot, well.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
For the money you'd be in a tight spot trying to find a better/more accurate slug gun. They shoot and recoil isn't bad at all. If I had to hunt a shotgun only area a lefty 220 would be in my hands.

<>< Fish

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hunt in areas that allow a rifle, but I seldom hunt a spot that would require a rifle. I have considered a slug gun on more than one occasion.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Have had several of them and they are very accurate with a slug the gun likes. Most will do best with the Remington accu tips, and all the ones I had hated the hornady slugs. They are good guns and like was said they are not the smoothest action you will ever use. I hunt several places that do not allow rifles unless you are 8 feet of the ground, and used the 220 and never felt handicapped in the least hunting with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ridgeline66

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I've killed a few with mine, like it pretty good, I run Remington Accutip 2 3/4 in it, it kicks a little more than my 30-06 and you have to work the bolt like you mean it.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
For the money you'd be in a tight spot trying to find a better/more accurate slug gun. They shoot and recoil isn't bad at all. If I had to hunt a shotgun only area a lefty 220 would be in my hands.

<>< Fish
A lefty is what I've been looking at. I've never owned a left hand gun, and I've never felt handicapped by it. I'm thinking the 220 will be the first.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have the predecessor a 210F. It is a 12ga model. I have killed over 50 deer with it (lost count). I hunted with the 210F primarily for 15 years, land owners requested shotgun only or counties had elevation requirement for rifles. I too, never feel handicaped with it in my hands. It is the fastest handling longgun I have. If I have it in my hands it is pure death to a deer. It also works on ground hogs and coyotes. I'm partial to the 12 ga. The 20 don't have the ft-lbs the 12 has. At 1950 fps, clocked over a chronograph, the 12 ga 385 gr slug produces enough hydrostatic shock that with a proper placed bullet within 75 yards the deer are DRT,. Performs like a rifle to that distance. Have killed deer to around 150 yards. That said, I have haven't heard of anyone unhappy with a 220. If I were to purchase another slug gun it would be a Savage. The recoil can be brutal with the 12 ga, but a Limbsaver recoil pad can tame that. I'm sure the 220 have less recoil. I liked the Winchester Partition Gold Slug, the original ones advertised 2000 fps(MV), Win. redesigned them now they say 1850 fps. The original ones are the ones I clocked with a chronograph. I have several boxes of these left. The Rem. Accu-tips shot good and killed a couple of deer with them. I still liked the older Winchester Partition Golds better. I shot way to many deer with them to question their performance. I did not like the performance of the Hornady SST on the one deer I shot with it, so much so as I never hunted with them again.

Last edited: