Savage 220, sighting in issues

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I settled on Leupold STD base and rings. Never had issues with this set up on other rifles and I trust it's dependability. Mounted a Burris Fullfield E1 3x9-40 w/30 mm tube on it. First 2 shots less than 1/2" apart. That was the end of the nice group. Made adjustments, where did they go? Well, I moved it back, tracking must be off s little. Try again. Made adjustments, Trying to bring POI down, but group did not move. Shot another group after making adjustments again. Hit same height. But for the most part same left and right. All right from finally a decent group. Let the gun cool off. First shoot 6" low. Next shot 1" high. Next shot 4" high. Let the gun cool. Same thing. Then s as me thing another time. Rapid fired got gun hot an group good again, dead on. Cool 6" low. Same old same old. By this time my wallet and shoulder had taken a beating. I'm also satisfied the gun is stringing the slugs vertically higher and higher as barrel heats, very minimum heat. I'm feeding up at this point. I'm frustrated but not as disappointed as my girlfriend who bought the gun for me. I shot Remington acutips and Win. Dual Bond slugs with identical results. Well, I thought the forearm has to be putting pressure on the barrel somewhere or the recoil lug screw is loose. Well, I got home and sure enough the recoil lug screw was less than snug. I'm thinking this could have been my issue. I will try again. Any thoughts? On checking on other variables.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Try putting another scope on it.
I may. I would think that being able to repeat and getting identical results would be some issue other than the scope or mounts. Erratic POI, I would think scope or mounts.

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I think I would check for stock to barrel contact. I'm not sure a bad scope would return to cold poi with barrel cooling. Pressure from the stock will...

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
Yea if the front action screw was not tight then it will shoot all over the place.
Bed the front of the action and recoil lug.
Then torque to 65# in the front and 25# in the back.
Make sure scope hardware is all torqued to spec

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I shot the 220 again 1/07, after tightening the stock screws, many the recoil lug screw. I had one box of Remington Accutip 3" slugs and several boxes of Winchester slugs, 1 box of Partition Gold and 2 boxes of the Dual bond. I choose to sight in with the partition Gold, to make sure I was on paper, as I did not want to waste the Remington Accutip slugs. First shot was 8" low, made adjustments. The other 4 grouped in the same area, probably a 2.5" group. I then loaded the Remington Accutip slugs, two shots less than 1.5". I adjusted for POI shot two more. POI moved to where it should, both less than an inch center to center. I then tried the Dual Bond, they grouped about 3". They would be acceptable for hunting less than 100 yards, but I'm going to stick with the Remington Accutip slugs for now. Back to the last Accutip Slug. I backed out to approx. 175, stepped it off in chains and then the old long step, actually coming out around 180. I figured I should have about 8" of drop at that distance. The Burris E1 reticle has ballistic marks, the second one is just a hair over 4 MOA. I used the 4 MOA mark and let the 220 eat. It hit about 2 inches low and about 1.5" to the right. Pleased! to say the least. That is a dead deer any day of the week. I have ordered a case of the Accutip slugs. I will revisit, this time on a not so windy day and tune the 220 on in and get a little more familiar with the slugs trajectory.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I went through the same thing with my 210 slug gun. Ended up being the stock screws needed to be torqued down just like your 220. I ended up putting thread locker on em after i noticed a major poi shift after about 100 rounds. Retorqued and resighted and it's been good to go ever since

Reactions: DRS