Savage 1899

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not sure exactly what I picked up but it's a clean rifle. It's a 250-3000 and the serial number comes up as 1921, the serial number is 229xxx. I don't believe it's a factory stock, it appears to be one helluva custom stock. There are no markings to indicate if it is a 99 or 1899. It has a letter "L" on the lever boss. The sights and barrel are marked Utica.9B182F8E-4776-45EC-9CA4-78BDD5153D17.jpeg

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I just left the house for a few days working in Georgia but when I get back I’ll check out that boss code in my books and can let you know

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Not sure exactly what I picked up but it's a clean rifle. It's a 250-3000 and the serial number comes up as 1921. I don't believe it's a factory stock, it appears to be one helluva custom stock. There are no markings to indicate if it is a 99 or 1899. It has a letter "L" on the lever boss. The sights and barrel are marked Utica.View attachment 36558

Nice rifle in an even nicer caliber well done

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
agreed about the stock

that high comb, pistol grip cap and custom forend tip with white spacer does not look original

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Going by online resources the "L" code appears to be a 1960 manufacture date for the receiver.

http://www.savage99.com/savage99_dates.htm

<>< Fish

Yeah not sure about the "L" stamping because the serial number says 1921 which I think means it's a model 1899. The year would make sense also as there are no front scope mount holes. Since it's not original wood I think I'll have two front mount holes done. At the price I paid it should make a great hunting rifle and hold it's value, just not collector prices.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
... sense also as there are no front scope mount holes...
Nice find, but not sure what you mean by "front". If there are 2 holes drilled and tapped in the tang area, they are not for a scope mount. Also, what name is on the recoil pad?

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
Yeah not sure about the "L" stamping because the serial number says 1921 which I think means it's a model 1899. The year would make sense also as there are no front scope mount holes. Since it's not original wood I think I'll have two front mount holes done. At the price I paid it should make a great hunting rifle and hold it's value, just not collector prices.

What's the shell counter made of, brass or steel? I believe 1921 was the year that the 1899 was changed to the 99.

<>< Fish

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
What's the shell counter made of, brass or steel? I believe 1921 was the year that the 1899 was changed to the 99.

<>< Fish

Pretty sure it was the 1922 catalog but that era was a might rambunctious for savage - they were growing fast

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The round counter is steel. There are two holes in the tang area, for a tang sight I assume. I would need front and rear holes drilled, not just front as I thought if I go that direction. There is also a pin that pops up when you rack the lever, loaded chamber indicator I assume. There is a lock on the lever. The recoil pad I think said Whitleline, I'll look this evening.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
The round counter is steel. There are two holes in the tang area, for a tang sight I assume. I would need front and rear holes drilled, not just front as I thought if I go that direction. There is also a pin that pops up when you rack the lever, loaded chamber indicator I assume. There is a lock on the lever. The recoil pad I think said Whitleline, I'll look this evening.

The steel counter (if original to the rifle) are Model 99's.

I still have back burner plans to build a .250 Savage bolt gun or the Ackley version. The .250 Hillbilly looks interesting also. It is the 6.5CM necked down.

<>< Fish

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have 100 pc Remington brass on the way, who would have thought Cabela's had the best price. Midway is shipping 100 pc Speer 90 gr Hot Cor's and a Lee die set. Got free shipping on everything.

Last edited:

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So here is what research has discovered.. thank you Woomoose! This gun has been gone thru. The stock was custom made and IMO was very nicely done. The receiver was made in 1921 which was when they changed from 1899 to 99. The two were identical except the number. Being as this one isn't stamped on the front receiver ring it is most likely an 1899. The trigger is ribbed which is not original. The barrel and sights say made in Utica, NY so that means it's made from 1930-1946. Since there is no collector value I'm going to have it drilled and tapped unless it sells or trades out. I'm good either way, she'll be a nice hunting rifle.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The decision has been made. As per Woodmoose's recommendation, Weaver two piece bases have been ordered. Now to line up a smith.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Dang it! I thought too long. I think you made a good decision. I have always wanted a Savage .250-3000 in a Model '99. I'll get one some day. I'm sure you will enjoy the rifle.